Thinking of buying a Boss RE-20 Space Echo. Pros and Cons? Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dorfmeister, Feb 13, 2008.

Would you buy a Boss RE-20?

1. I would buy an RE-20.

2. I would not buy an RE-20.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

I'm thinking of going to Guitar Center on Saturday to buy a Boss RE-20.

I'm a guitarist who is into experimental, post-rockish, fusiony, post-punk, and ambient sounds.

I am thinking this pedal will be a good match and inspirational to my playing.

What are some arguments for and against this pedal.

What else might you recommend?

2. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I almost did, then didn't. It didn't much impress me in the store, but I 've done this enough to know that means little. It was plugged into some crap amp I'd never use, along with a gazillion other pedals, in a noisy environment filled with distraction. My sense was that I'd get it home, figure it out better, and be very happy. It does have some of those odd ambient textures you don't generally find in pedals. for about 200 bucks used (that's how I'd do it), I think it's a worthy experiment.

The two main reasons I held off were:

1. I already have a very fine pedal for tape echo stuff, the H&K Replex. It's more echoplex like, doesn't do the multihead extremes and wacko stuff you could get out of a space echo. Bulky, but has that sound.

2. My curiosity about space echos was probably not going to be answered by the pedal. so I bit the bullet, went out and found an original RE-201. It's getting checked out and rebiased now. A most interesting device. The pedal might be far better live for various reasons, but the actual tape thing has some kind of unique mojo of its own.

3. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

If I go to guitar center how much under the $249 street price do you think I can get them to go?

4. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

Thanks for the reply Mad Dog.

Replex sounds interesting but I am wondering if some of that wacko stuff is a part of the appeall of the RE-20? I haven't played one yet but should be able to at Guitar Center this weekend. Hopefully that can give me a better idea.

I'm hoping I can get them to sell it to me for a fair bit lower than $249 at Guitar Center.

5. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

I've added a poll.

People love polls.

6. leumasjames

leumasjames Member

I got one from guitar center for cheaper than 249. I can't quite remember, but I think it was around 210-220 including tax.

7. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

That would be a good deal. I will walk if I don't get it for less than $220 including tax!

8. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

What is your take on the RE-20? Do you like it? What kind of music do you use it for?

9. mikelaw

mikelaw Member

i've bought and sold one already. great pedal and great sound and features BUT:

too heavy
    too big
    too many knobs

10. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

The first two probably are not issues for me. By "Too many knobs" do you mean too complex or just difficult to change settings on the fly?

How did you like the sounds it could create?

Thanks.

11. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

Save up and wait for the solid state TTE.

12. Keld

Keld Supporting Member

I've been pleasantly surprised by the RE-20. I wasn't too sure about it at first, but after I've spent some time with it, I've found it to be pretty flexible and have some good sounds in it.

I'm not a delay aficionado, so others could surely discuss comparisons better than I, but I think it's a good sounding pedal overall. I like the fact that it has reverb in it so I can blend the verb and delay.

Wish it could hold a couple of presets though.

13. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

Thanks Keld. I am interested in it because I am hoping it has character and isn't like all the other delays out there. I also like that fact that it has both delay and reverb.

14. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

Has anyone compared this to or like the SIB Mr Echo Plus?

[​IMG]

That is another pedal that is on the radar for me.

15. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Brian... If you do decide to go to GC, do on Monday, 2.18, for their President's Day Sale - one day only price cuts. You could get a better deal.

Sorry I can't help you with the Roland.

16. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

Thanks, Ron. That is a good head's up.

17. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

18. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

Replex is very cool but out of my price range. Anything cheaper that you know of that might capture some of the same mojo?

19. mikelaw

mikelaw Member

i mean just too many knobs. too many features for me. if youre looking for tape echo sounds and similar sounds to the real thing re-201 look no further.

i have a friend set this and the real thing up the same then AB them and he said they were exactly the same! its just not for me, thats all.

20. CentralScrutini

CentralScrutini Member

I don't know about cheaper...but the Deluxe Memory Man does the Space Echo trick pretty darn well. Maybe sit tight and wait for the XO version to hit the stores and give it a shot before you make a decision. The only thing it won't do is the multi head type of stuff. And of course less available delay time than the RE-20. The only other delay off the top of my head that can do that kind of trick for cheap is the Akai Headrush.