thinking of buying a Gibson 60`s tribute

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mr. Mukuzi O, May 6, 2015.

1. Mr. Mukuzi O

Mr. Mukuzi O Member

honey burst, really nice player.
    not the best construction judging by the tatty glue bubbles between the fretboard and the neck on the underside at the 13th fret to about the 16thfret . really nice looking plain top makes up for it as I`m a fan of plain top les pauls. also, could be a one piece back.
    2013 model with Burstbuckers. the guitar sounds really good and I can repair or rub out the tatty fretboard finishing. so I`m not bothered by it to be fair.

the guitar is 1300 Kiwi dollars that's about 1K USD.

what say you guys? all the reviews I`ve found are for the P90 version 50`s tribute.

anyone got one?

2. stratter

stratter Member

3. Stonebandit

Stonebandit Member

If you are happy with the top, I love my Honeyburst 60's, see if you can work on the price because of the neck issue. That certainly requires a price drop.

$1300 is kind of the peak mint new price on these, so I'd see if you can work on the price.

Don't settle for some shite strings or shite leads and strap as a gesture for the issue with the neck.

Second Hand Gibson case..? or 4 boxes of your favourite strings, ( which would be Ernie Ball Slinky's. - Cobalts if you like...)!!!!

My sig has 4 of the 60's Tributes in both P90's and Humbuckers - Im a big fan of them.
    They are great players and unique look.

Affordable and old school, and getting harder to find.

(Statter - getting it for ZZounds means postage and taxes)

What fret wood has it got, Baked Maple or if your lucky you'll have a mahogany.

Again, work hard on that discount, if you love the top and neck material - buy it.

4. rapaul76

rapaul76 Member

I had 2013 humbucker model in ebony and ended up selling it. It was alright, but I had a major problem with fret sprout (honestly should have sent it back). It was a little on the bright side for me. However, it neck felt really nice, it came with Grover tuners and I liked the vintage gloss finish (close to satin which I prefer).

$1300 seems really high to me...but prices in your neck of the woods might make this OK.

Good luck!

5. Mr. Mukuzi O

Mr. Mukuzi O Member

thanks for the info guys.

as an aside, when I went to check it out there were four or so Americans standing blocking the door. they were obviously "Rockers" had Tatts, the chicks were cute the guys were old, one was about six foot, long grey hair pony tail, the other guy was shorter, long coat and hat. as I walked past the shorter guy, I pointed to a pink acoustic guitar on the wall and said "here's one for you mate" haha, he kind of let out a cross between a laugh and a sigh.

anyway, I`m gonna go back and check out the fretboard, I read up on the 60`s tributes last night and some said they could be two piece boards, that would explain the glue on the side of the fretboard.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  6. Mr. Mukuzi O

Mr. Mukuzi O Member

update:
    I bought it.
    update on old rocker: guy who plays with Alice Cooper,

there, all up to date

7. PixMix

PixMix Member

Very cool! Pics?

8. rabbuhl

rabbuhl Member

Love mine. The BB1 & BB2 pickups really deliver a great vintage sound.

9. Mr. Mukuzi O

Mr. Mukuzi O Member

I`ll take a few tonight.
    I`m really blown away with the tone through my JCM900Mk3. its just pure rock, I had to play along to "if you want blood" every note jumps out of the guitar. I get why people love les pauls so much, I have never bonded with one as much as this one.
    my mate had an 82 tobacco burst plain top delux, that was the guitar when we were teenagers, tragically stolen many years ago. this tribute is easily as nice as the old lady.