Thinking of buying a PRS "SWEET 16" amp, any experience?

hotmod

Anyone plays one?

Comments on :

1) How it holds up with a drummer/bass player at rehearsal situation?
2) Using it live at a small club un mic'ed?
3) How tolerable is the loundness with the master full at home situation?

Sound comparisons also with say Fender deluxe,Dr Z maz/ghia,tone king imperial?

In general how good or bad is it and how usefull.

You'd help me decide a bunch. :knitting

Guitar Dave T

I have a 30 watt version (prototype) that's one of the coolest sounding gigging amps I've had. It's cathode biased, and has kind of a plexi-meets-Trainwreck vibe.

I crank the master to around 3:00 and bring the gain up to suit the venue. for clean tones, I roll off the guitar's volume.

At 16 watts, though, I wouldn't expect any clean headroom to speak of, if that matters to you.

motokev

its a nice amp. Has a neutral type tone with ok reverb and smooth gain. Sounds purty good with the a 2x12 prs matching cab; good blues amps

Fro68

Silver Supporting Member
I bought one and the fancy wood fascia fell off of the front the first time I cranked it. The screws holding it on were to short. PRS customer service wouldn't return my calls or email so I sent it back.
It was a very good sounding amp and looked great but there amp depts customer service sucks.

Last edited:

Aslan

I bought a Sweet 16 when they very first came out without trying them first and mine didn't sound good clean or distorted, I changed all the tubes and it didn't help any, I was somewhat dumbfounded because I own 6 PRS guitars and really like what Paul is doing with pickups the last 10 years. To be fair you should know that the Sweet 16 has gone through two circuit revisions since it came out and they may have cured whatever was hurting my amp. I would recommend that you try one first before buying because if you decide to resale it, PRS amps don't move like a used Fender or Marshall and I finally ended up trading mine in on another amp. (I would love to try a DG Custom 30 but would have to buy without trying and I will never do that again)

hotmod

Wow! Every time I see the Grissom clips where he plays through one I get serious gas! Sounds killer!!! I like the sound he gets through the 16 way more than his own signature dg amp.

direneed

Silver Supporting Member
Is this the amp Grissom gigs with at the Saxon? I usually see him there a couple of times a month and his tone is always, well, phenomenal. The keyboard player has some serious chops, too. The whole band sound great, really, but what would you expect… But seriously his tone is just awesome. Not sure of the model he uses most of the time, but it's a PRS amp, head w/2x12 cab setup.

harpinon

Excellent pedal platform amp. Loud as all get out.

As a plug and play amp its ok if you are into jazz or soft blues tones.

ruger9

Is this the amp Grissom gigs with at the Saxon? I usually see him there a couple of times a month and his tone is always, well, phenomenal. The keyboard player has some serious chops, too. The whole band sound great, really, but what would you expect… But seriously his tone is just awesome. Not sure of the model he uses most of the time, but it's a PRS amp, head w/2x12 cab setup.
No. He's been playing various protos of the DG Custom 30 for a couple years now at the Saxon.

axe4me

I like the Sweet 16.
Nice singing grind
It doesn't get the headroom that I would like.
I bought a PRS "30" Tuxedo head.
More cleans.
Still gets the push/grind.

Last edited:

scmavl

Enjoyer
Gold Supporting Member
I only played one briefly and I thought it was... fine. Nothing jumped out at me. Ok cleans, ok overdrive, ok reverb, ok master. I just prefer an amp that has some standout characteristics.

Trending Topics