Thinking of buying an SLX...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mrniceguy, Jun 20, 2006.

1. mrniceguy

mrniceguy Member

I would have to sell off my Lucky 7, Blues Jr., and possibly the Avatar as well. Might even end up selling some FX I don't use very often. Heres some ?s:

1. Is it worth it to sell of all that gear?
    2. Can the amp be used for classic rock type stuff such as Zeppelin and AC/DC maybe being boosted with an OD pedal on top of all the jazz fusion/bluesy type tones.
    3. Does the ODS-30 have a lot of headroom or would it be better just to go ahead and get the ODS-50?
    4. Combo or head? 1x12 or 2x12? What speakers?
    5. If I get a cab, what cab would suit me best?
    6. Anyone willing to make a trade for some of my gear plus cash or anybody selling an SLX soon?

Heres my gear I am willing to sell/trade:
    - Fuchs Lucky 7 Head (reboxed in stained pine cabinet or in original black tolex box)
    - 1x12 Homemade stained pine cabinet w/ Eminence Wizard
    - Weber 25W Minimass Attenuator
    - BYOC Script Logo Phaser Clone
    - Loopmaster A/B/Y w/ tuner out and LEDs
    - Fender Blues Jr. amp upgraded w/ Celestion Vintage 30 speaker, Bill M. mods, switchcraft jack, and a Presence knob/Bright switch
    - Avatar 2x12 closed back w/ dual Celestion Vintage 30s and wheat grill

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Hoping this amp will be the end-all amp for me and can concentrate on acquiring the guitars I've wanted for years and of course my playing.

BTW, I'm heading up to Indoor Storm in the morning and checking out the ODS-50 although I'm not sure if it has the SLX mods.

2. m3g

m3g Member

As a current ODS30slx 1x12 combo owner, I say go for it! What was your take on the ODS50?

3. mrniceguy

mrniceguy Member

Haven't played one yet, I'm mostly judging by the sound of my Lucky 7 and the soundclips I've heard. I'm heading up to Indoor Storm tomorrow morning and checking out whatever they have in stock. How do you like the ODS-30? Does it give you enough headroom? Does the 1x12 speaker sound full enough for your tastes? BTW What speaker are you using? Thanks.

4. mrniceguy

mrniceguy Member

also maybe someone may have an alternative to this amp? Two Rock? I need lots of help.

5. m3g

m3g Member

I love the ODS30 combo. It has more than enough headroom for me and I prefer it with 6V6 tubes in it (versus 6L6's). The combo speaker is an Em. Red, White & Blues. It sounds great, full enough for my tastes. I also like to bypass the combo speaker and go into an open back 2x12 cab with Greenbacks. This also sounds great, but different, and obviously a more open sound than the combo speaker.

6. willhutch

willhutch Supporting Member

There's a lot of questions in your post. I used to own a non-SLX OD50. I found 50 watts to be too much. I play in a 10-piece band in big rooms and and I couldn't get the best out of the amp at reasonable SPL. This problem applied mostly to the clean sounds. I'd guess that 30 watts would be more usable for the majority of players out there. I don't know personally, but I would venture to guess headroom would not be an issue with an OD30. If you do go for the OD50, you may want to keep your attenuator!

After gigging for a year-and-a-half with the Fuchs, I had the SLX mods done. For me, I thought SLX took some of the life out of the amp. So I wouldn't let the absence of SLX mod be a deal-breaker.

From a players perspective, I'd want a 1X12 combo for convenience.

From a buyers perspective, I'd buy a used head and keep your cabinets and attenuator. These amps seem to turn over a lot on TGP and maybe on Ebay.

There are better amp choices if your main concern is playing classic rock. But an ODS can get you most of the way there, and to a lot of other tonal places.

BTW: I wound up selling my OD30 and reinvesting in other gear. You know what amp dethroned it? A Silverface Vibrolux Reverb + Fulldrive II. Call me crazy. But next to Fender clean, a Fuchs will sound a little congested.

Anyway, I've since taken another turn and have gone to an EL84 powered amp as my main gigging amp! I'm keeping my Fenders tho! I've developed a preference for simpler circuits than what the Fuchs has.

Good luck in your quest!

7. bjm007

bjm007 Member

#2 - Yes, but not with EMI Red White & Blues if you want Zep and AC/DC, that's gonna take G12H30's.........

#4 - I like a 2x12 with EMI RW&B's for D*mblish and Fender kinds of things, but I've got a bunch of 4x12's with G12H30's for my Marshalls and 2x12's with Blues with my AC30 for the Tom Petty / Mike Campbell stuff....

8. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

you may want to call before you go, I think Eddie is off on Wednesday or it may be Tuesday's

9. tedjac

tedjac Guest

PM sent re: Fuchs ODS30SLX...

10. scottl

scottl Member

Full SLX mods absolutely and in no uncertain terms do not take the life out of the amp. When fully implemented, the amp is far more open, 3D, and harmonic. Any upgraded amp that did not exhibit these exact adjectives was not in 100% proper shape or was some sort of early SLX conversion, but something was not right. I have personally converted dozens and I have never run across this, nor have any of the recipients I am aware of. I am defending it since I was an integral part of the R&D.

I am sure of this as the changes made only serve to reduce congestion and open things up. From a technical point of view the amp should be more alive in addition to the audible changes, assuming the amp was in correct working order (ie..trimmers absolutely adjusted right, bias, tube types, preamp voltages) Something had to be amiss....

You are correct though, non-SLX is not a deal breaker. You can always send to Andy for upgrading. ;)

11. hamrhed1

hamrhed1 Member

Scott personally modded my Fuchs 50wt mod and 100wt ODS amps. The SLX mods dramatically improved both channels on both amps in every way and were nothing short of amazing. I would say that they put life in the amps. I loved the sound of the amps even before the mods were done...just not like I do now. No worries with an upgrade to SLX.

12. scottl

scottl Member

Thanks Jeff ;)

Btw, when you coming back up here??? I have new cabs and toyz!!

13. willhutch

Hi Scott, I'm sorry if I riled you up. I loved my fuchs and played scores of gigs with it. I have the highest respect for Andy, you, and the entire Fuchs line. I hope I didn't come across as bad-mouthing the SLX mod or Fuchs product.:eek:

It is possible something wasn't 100% right with the amp when I got it back from Andy. But, equally likely, it fell victim to a change of tastes on my part.

As I mentioned, I bought a Silverface Vibrolux, which I fell in love with. When I directly compared the two amps, I found I preferred the clean tone of the Vibrolux. This is critical because I play clean 90% of the time. Since I now had an additional gigging amp, I decided to send the Fuchs in for the SLX mod. My understanding was that it would "open it up". When I got the ODS50 back a few weeks later, I still preferred the Vibrolux.

I of course never had a chance to directly a/b my amp before and after the SLX mod. When I got it back, I didn't notice any improvement in the performance of the amp. Maybe the weeks I spent without the Fuchs got me accustomed to the tone of my Fender and my tastes changed to the point where I was less satisfied with the SLX than I might otherwise have been?????

In summary, perhaps there was something not right in the amp. Perhaps it wasn't adjusted optimally for my playing. Or perhaps the change was in me. Regardless, my perception was that the SLX mod took the life out of my Fuchs.

Anyway, thanks for standing up for the SLX mod, I hope my complete account of events will help people in their buying decisions.

FWIW: I continued to use the Fuchs for several months after getting the mod. I used an amp switching arrangement where I used the Vibrolux for the pristine cleans and the Fuchs for gritty and singing tones. This worked great. I quit using this rig when I got tired of the hassle of the extra gear and setup time. Since the fender + pedals worked so well for me, I decided to turn the valuable Fuchs into cash.

This whole thing is part of a larger trend for me of going from big, complex rigs to small, simple ones. :)

14. scottl

scottl Member

Hey Will,

No offense..... I was only saying that in my experience, and I am the one who spent the most R&D time on SLX, the amps have more life.

Not having played yours, I can't say what was up, but your description of the chnages flies in the face of what should been. Merely the cable upgrade should have added a whole dimension of clarity on top. The input section mods should have extended the lows.... This is technical fact and not opinion.

In any event, glad you are happy with the current rig. If you are ever in the Philly area, stop on by and try my stuff!

Scott

15. willhutch

Thanks man. When I visit you in Philly, will you show me some licks, too?:BEER

16. scottl

scottl Member

Any time... ;)

17. mrniceguy

mrniceguy Member

Thanks to everyone who helped including the PMs I got. After evaluating the ODS-50 at Indoor Storm I also tried out the Two-Rock K&M Custom. The ODS-50 has very nice cleans and a SUPER nice overdrive. The K&M was more about the cleans in my opinion. Two very very open and versatile but extremely sophisticated amps. I realize right now I kind of need a more rock style amp. I stopped by Fat Sound as well and played a Dr. Z Maz Jr. thru a Z-Best Cab. This is one of the most delicious amp/cab combinations I have played through (I know this is a whole different monster than the SLX). If I don't end up getting the Maz, I'm definitely buying the cab. A 212 loaded with a G12H30 and a Vintage 30 and this thing sounded like a 412. VERY heavy low end. If anyone can suggest an alternative to this amp, PLEASE PLEASE let me know. I am ready to buy this thing ASAP but don't really want to jump into things.

18. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

Man, if you're considering the Maz Jr you wasted your time worring about the Fuchs. Totally two different amps. The Lucky 7 is more like the Maz, is it not?

19. mrniceguy

mrniceguy Member

Yes, the Lucky 7 is more similar to the Maz but IMO nowhere close to it. I don't really think I was wasting my time though, I had a great time playing the ODS and this is exactly why it's better to try before buy.