Thinking of ditching my Twin Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JMayerFan, Feb 11, 2008.

1. JMayerFan

JMayerFan Member

So I've had my twin revrerb reissue for about 2 years, and I of course LOVE its cleans, but its soo finicky with pedals that I think its time to do something about it.

I typically play blues and Jazz but the band i'm currently in is wanting to cover a few harder rock songs, and lately i've been playing more rock and metal as well.

Sorry for the long post, but I guess my questions are: Should I be looking for a Marshall or bogner or mesa head and using my twin as a cab for those rich deep distortion tones? Or get a whole new setup? Something similar to what Eric J ohnson does, if that even would work with my twin as a cab

2. CNOTE

CNOTE Member

You can retube and get new speakers is about the extent you can go to get better sound out of a Fender RI. Other people may not agree and could add something. Even then it's what it is.

Where are they made ?:NUTS

3. RDM

RDM Senior Member

Sell it and get a Bassman LTD

4. justonwo

justonwo Member

I would get a channel switching amp of some denomination. Marshall? No. There are much better options out there.

Bogner Shiva or Ecstacy would definitely be an option.
    Fuchs Tripledrive Supreme
    Elmwood Modena
    CAA (that's what I have). SE, SE+, or Classic+ would all probably work.
    Rivera Tre or Knucklehead.

And the list goes on and on. I think it really depends which part of the sound is really important to you. Some cover the whole spectrum from cleans to classic overdrive to metal.

5. reddog112

reddog112 Member

I sold my Twin and now play through a Budda SD-30 II. Never looked back, although I do miss those sparkling cleans sometimes. I guess it depends on the type of music you do.

I also much prefer the weight of the Budda!

6. Clutch21286

Clutch21286 Member

I would sell it rather then mod the amp. But you know the cheapest option would be to get a pedal that works with the amp. I personally would sell the Reissue and get a vintage model.

7. JMayerFan

JMayerFan Member

If i were to get say a bogner Head, would it sound like garbage through those Jensons that the Twin has?

I don't really know of any pedal that will really work well for heavier rock with the twin reverb, I've been through quite a lot of pedals

8. justonwo

justonwo Member

Well, Bogner loads their cabs with Celestion G12Ms or V30s, if that tells you anything. The Jensens probably wouldn't be the ideal match for that head. Would they work? Maybe. But there's no point in chasing tone and then using the wrong speaker . . .

9. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

It's hard to beat a Marshall for rock.

10. mesanatic

mesanatic Member

Boss SD-1, Tubescreamer, Maxon OD-8 or OD-9. I don't know what pedals you tried but my Twin works well with those for Rock.

Metal, well a JCM 800 would still need a pedal or for no pedals get a DSL 50(cheap), JVM, EVH 5150 III(my 1st choice) or Mesa Mk III(also my choice), Dual Recto/Roadster(mine too) or Tremoverb.
    Or spend big bucks and try some other suggestions but you might not like them any better. More money does not always equal more tone.

11. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Somewhere near the Rock and Roll "Hole of Flames"
    another pedal I like with Fender amps for crunch tones is the Fulldrive 2. Strat position two into a Fulldrive into my Deluxe yields a huge sounding crunch tone at a very reasonable volume

12. JMayerFan

JMayerFan Member

Heres what I currently have for distortion and OD...

Boss BD-2, Fulltone II, Jetter gain stage Red,
    and a Turbo Distortion DS-2 (That only works if i stack it, otherwise it sounds terrible)

These are all great for classic rock and blues and what not, but I can't cover Nickleback or anything like that.

The songs we're actually covering are a lot of Funeral for a Friend songs

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SVZlVJeYY2g

13. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

This is the second thread I found where someone has said that a Twin Reverb reissue doesn't like pedals, which is shocking to me. Fenders are known in general for loving pedals. I really like the MI audio Crunch box, you might try that, those are pretty inexpensive.

Otherwise I would just start over and get a Bogner Shiva, Laney Vh100R, or Marshall JVM.....

14. funkycam

funkycam Member

crunchbox is def worth trying & 1/10 of the price of a new head...

15. lchyi

lchyi Member

Oh yea, the CB rocks with a TRRI. It turns anything into a fire breathing beast.

16. JMayerFan

JMayerFan Member

Well don't let me give Fender a bad rep for accepting pedals, the Deluxe Reverb and Devilles take pedals much better than my twin. Pedals such as the BD just sound HORRIBLE, tinny and thin and just ewww, but if you roll the tone all the way off, its a somewhat decent sound, the midrange pedals such as TS's and fulltones are great since the twin lacks midrange, so, thats what I'm fighting at the moment, a fat rich distortion sound that'll boost my mids I guess, and medal will be real tough to get i think...

17. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

I went through a tone tasting phase last year. TRRI was part of it. GC's 30 policy helped me find the right amp.
    First Mesa Lonestar Special great amp for grind not enough headroom
    Second TRRI tons of headroom, breakup and pedal friendliness lacking
    Third Mesa Lonestar Classic. The LSC was the winner. TRRI like cleans and adjustable breakup from light to crunchy.

Find an LSC and give it a test drive

18. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

Well said my friend ;]

I dont care what anyone says, the Fender catalogue even states that the TR has been used sucessfully in all genres of music for decades, now I respect Fender as a company but a twin just doesnt do the whole Brit/ classic rock thing, let alone metal, the open back cab is a no no, the general EQ is a no no and the way the amp is setup is also a no, unlike a tweed amp, the tone stack is wired the opposite way round and this makes for a totally different sounding and feeling amplifier alltogether

19. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Somewhere near the Rock and Roll "Hole of Flames"
    Not sure, sounds like maybe you have a brite cap in there that needs clippin' ;)

20. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Never met any twin that didn't like pedals.