Thinking of ditching my Twin Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JMayerFan, Feb 11, 2008.

1. kmcmichael

kmcmichael Member

I gigged with one for about 6 years. I was glad to get rid of it as it weighed approximately 400 pounds.

2. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

I had a Twin RI and that thing was out of control as my bedroom amp. What was I thinking. But it was beefy enough to double as a bass amp, and drove all my humbuckers nicely, cut right through the honk with that bright blade. I do miss it, but my wife and kids (and dog) certainly don't.

3. JMayerFan

JMayerFan Member

I also thought that it could be one of the caps that should be readjusted but i've heard from several people that the Twin doesn't like the Blues driver, anyone have a twin that could suggest a good "transparent" tone such as the blues driver? I know that question has endless answers but just curious.

I'lll try and post a simple clip with the blues driver and see what you guys think.

4. FatTeleTom

FatTeleTom Member

I've been using a TRRI at a rehearsal studio, and my Direct Drive and Small Fry pedals (both from Barber Electronics) work really well with it. Barber really seems to make it a point to avoid high-end fizziness, which may be why those pedals pair so well with something like a Twin.

The Blues Driver can get really bright--I have one of those too, and generally keep the tone knob down around 9:00. It's great for very mild overdrive, but gets gritty at higher gains, so I don't normally use it for that. I haven't tried it with the Twin, but I'm guessing the generally open, transparent, bright tone of the BD-2 might not be the best match for a Twin.

For Marshallesque crunch or high-gain leads, you might like the Barber Direct Drive a lot.

For more versatility, the Small Fry is awesome, but I'm guessing your Jetter Red covers that territory already.

5. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I just traded a friend my 72 twin for his framus ruby riot ii. I am very happy.

I think a channel switcher, like a prosonic, mesa rectifier, etc. would get you in the hard rock/metal camp better, with passable cleans.

6. JDW3

JDW3 Member

Not a twin, but my '66 Pro Reverb sounds KILLER with a Keeley modded Boss SD-1! I'm lovin the tone. I had a Keeley BD and is was too ice picky, had to get rid of it quick! I keep the tone at 9:00 on the SD-1. Must be a Boss or Keeley thing. But at that setting it just kills.

7. Steven

Steven Member

I had a 71 Twin for a few years but I ended up seeling it. To heavy and not very pedal friendly when it came to higher gain sounds. Bought a Badcat Tremcat instead and now I´m very pleased with my rig (although the tremcat isnt exactly a featherweight...).

8. TYY

TYY Member

Twin hates pedals? I don't think so!

Make sure the bright switch is off.

Also, make sure not to play crappy boss pedals with unnatural buzzy top end that the twin will reproduce (unless you crank it).

FWIW, twins LOVE menatone pedals, and anything else that is more amp-like (sorry for the buzzword).

9. lchyi

lchyi Member

I think your issue is the Blues Driver. I had the Keeley modded one and even then it sounded a little bit harsh to my ears.

Try the CB, the Small Fry, or something like a Zendrive or Eternity... those will all work well I'm sure!

10. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

my BD-2 sounds killer thru my dual showman reverb (exact same amp as a twin but in head form) try keeping your treble real low if you use the brite switch. I set mine around 3. Also crank your mids knob up to around 8-9, bass to taste (I go around 3-4 or so). My stock BD-2 takes my single coil guitars and just makes them louder and adds a touch of grit but still very glassy and transparent - perfect! For heavier OD tones I use a SD-1 after the BD-2 and it gets thick and creamy but still has a little bite.

11. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

yeah def keep the bright switch off!~

Twins are the standard backline amp...at least they used to be. They don't break up easy...but they will pump out a ton of volume.

12. JMayerFan

JMayerFan Member

Yea I never play with the bright switch on, my Jetter Red sounds great through the twin as does the fulltone 2, but I have a SD-2 from boss and it too sounds horrible through the twin, someday soon I might have to just get the full combo setup.

I know this is a real selfish question to ask, but is there such an amp that will vie with the twin in cleans, be pedal friendly, and be able to really beef up and get a rich saturated tone for harder rock and even some metal? I've been keeping an eye on those Bogner Ecstasys for awhile now

13. Aslan

Aslan Silver Supporting Member

I have a Twin Reverb Reissue and I use a Cream Tone pedal and a Keeley modded Rat and it sounds great!!! Mine was one made in the ~1995 and had the first generation speakers, I replaced these with Eminence Tonkerlites and now the amp weighs in at exactly 50 lbs and has much better tone.

14. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I still have a hard time imagining a Twin that doesn't do well with any distortion pedal. I think the Blues Driver sounds great with a Twin. If you turn the gain up too high it does get fizzy or harsh but for a low to med. gain tone it sounds great -IMO of course. The Blues Driver doesn't work as well for high gain stuff.