1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of Experimenting a bit...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by auraelux, Apr 27, 2008.

1. auraelux

auraelux Member

So I've recently become fascinated by combo amps and how clean and fresh they can sound in comparison to a head/cab combination. I'm not ragging on half stacks, I've owned a few but I'm just gonna try something different now.

I currently run a Vox AC30 2x12 combo into an Orange 4x12 with vintage 30s. The sound is full and awesome, very big Queenish tone, but I've been interested in running a twin combo set up for sometime now. I'm thinking about running the Vox AC30 in stereo with a Fender Twin Reverb. I'll probably keep the twin with a deep clean tone and keep the Vox on the Top boost overdriven. I just think having the ability to blend the tone on these two amazing amps would be incredibly sexy.

I don't really like hi-gain tones and I'm just going for a deep crunch tone that's very responsive to my picking and sounds full and warm at the same time. There's a sweet 80s Twin Reverb at a music shop near by for like 800 bucks, it sounds pretty awesome.

So what do you guys think? Should I go for it? I'm open to any suggestions, reccomendations, flames, whatever. Maybe some of the guys running twin combo set-ups can provide some insight on the topic. :)

2. auraelux

auraelux Member

Yeah the amp switcher can make it or break it. Anyone else?

3. auraelux

auraelux Member

4. burner

burner Member

I say go for it!
    It's hard to go wrong with a Twin (unles you get a POS reissue), and the AC30/Twin combo would be awesome!
    Running a stereo chorus or delay in actual stereo gives you a huge spatial sound that won't disappoint.