• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Thinking of getting a Kemper again... (update: got a Kemper Stage!)

Guitarjon

A couple of years ago I had a Kemper toaster head. At that time I didn't have any tube amps so I relied on profiles from others. I tried free ones and also bought some commercial packs but it seemed to be very hard for me to get great tones. I was so used to dialing in tones from scratch on my Axe Fx and/or Helix that it was counterintuitive to try to dial in Kemper profiles that others had made. The profiles were often way too dark, gainy, boomy, fizzy etc. They just sounded out of balance to me.

Fast forward a couple of years and I've now built up quite a big collection of tube amps that I use in my studio and my YouTube channel. I never mic up my amps as I always run them through my Fractal Audio reactive load and into OwnHammer IRs. To me that sounds amazing! I also use modeling platforms such as the Helix, Helix Native etc for mixes and videos. So my tube amps and modelers live together in harmony in my studio :) Anyway, I thought it could be fun to maybe get another Kemper so I can experiment with profiling my amps. To use the profiles for demos, for videos (to demonstrate and compare profiles etc.) and stuff like that.

Since I always use my loadbox I would have to find a way to make profiles of the amps with the loadbox. I don't see why this wouldn't work, but I was thinking of making 'direct' profiles with my setup (so with the entire amp in the chain + loadbox) but without IRs, so that I can apply the IRs after. This would give me more flexibilty when it comes to the cab tones. I'm used to this kind of flexibility with my real amps as well.

Does anyone have experience with such a setup? Any thoughts about it or things I should know? The Kemper + amp + loadbox would be in a loop of my Axe Fx which could introduce (very slight) latency. Will this affect the profile much or isn't that a thing?

Tonicstudio

The profiles were often way too dark, gainy, boomy, fizzy etc. They just sounded out of balance to me.
This!
Nothing beats a tube amp + loadbox and IR's
With the kemper I always felt like I was playing with the same amp that just changes the frequencies.
It's a good illusion but yeah, it's impossible to have the same result than a real amp.
I know a lot of people will say the opposite though but, again, different tastes and expectations!

Ejay

A couple of years ago I had a Kemper toaster head. At that time I didn't have any tube amps so I relied on profiles from others. I tried free ones and also bought some commercial packs but it seemed to be very hard for me to get great tones. I was so used to dialing in tones from scratch on my Axe Fx and/or Helix that it was counterintuitive to try to dial in Kemper profiles that others had made. The profiles were often way too dark, gainy, boomy, fizzy etc. They just sounded out of balance to me.

Fast forward a couple of years and I've now built up quite a big collection of tube amps that I use in my studio and my YouTube channel. I never mic up my amps as I always run them through my Fractal Audio reactive load and into OwnHammer IRs. To me that sounds amazing! I also use modeling platforms such as the Helix, Helix Native etc for mixes and videos. So my tube amps and modelers live together in harmony in my studio :) Anyway, I thought it could be fun to maybe get another Kemper so I can experiment with profiling my amps. To use the profiles for demos, for videos (to demonstrate and compare profiles etc.) and stuff like that.

Since I always use my loadbox I would have to find a way to make profiles of the amps with the loadbox. I don't see why this wouldn't work, but I was thinking of making 'direct' profiles with my setup (so with the entire amp in the chain + loadbox) but without IRs, so that I can apply the IRs after. This would give me more flexibilty when it comes to the cab tones. I'm used to this kind of flexibility with my real amps as well.

Does anyone have experience with such a setup? Any thoughts about it or things I should know? The Kemper + amp + loadbox would be in a loop of my Axe Fx which could introduce (very slight) latency. Will this affect the profile much or isn't that a thing?
I have done successfull direct profiles using kempers DI box, also simply profiling preamp sections using an amps send.
I don’t see any reason why using a loadbox wouldnt work.

Idnk how latency would effect the process....but I’d take anything out of the chain that doesn’t add anything. Why would you have the axe in the process?

Ejay

This!
Nothing beats a tube amp + loadbox and IR's
With the kemper I always felt like I was playing with the same amp that just changes the frequencies.
It's a good illusion but yeah, it's impossible to have the same result than a real amp.
I know a lot of people will say the opposite though but, again, different tastes and expectations!
Doing my own profiles...I wasn’t able to identify which was which in a blind test.

Guitarjon

I have done successfull direct profiles using kempers DI box, also simply profiling preamp sections using an amps send.
I don’t see any reason why using a loadbox wouldnt work.

Idnk how latency would effect the process....but I’d take anything out of the chain that doesn’t add anything. Why would you have the axe in the process?
I guess I'd want to have the fractal in the chain to monitor the sound with the IRs are applied, just for tweaking them amp. And then when I do the final profile I'll turn the cab block off.

bassgiant15

Might want to try a Quad Cortex. I know you said you didn't want another modeler, but it does "captures" like the Kemper does. Will it be an improvement over the Kemper? Idk, but if it is it may be worth the wait.

Personally, I borrowed a Kemper once and never got along with it. My buddy has thousands of profiles too and there was maybe a couple that i jived with.

Profiling your own amps is a different story though. All in all just to say that the QC may be worth the wait, but if you are dead set on a Kemper I'd say snag one.

Ejay

I guess I'd want to have the fractal in the chain to monitor the sound with the IRs are applied, just for tweaking them amp. And then when I do the final profile I'll turn the cab block off.
Might as well put it at an insert just behind the amp stack or even main outs of the kpa then, since its purpose will be monitoring the profile process and results.

Guitarjon

Might as well put it at an insert just behind the amp stack or even main outs of the kpa then, since its purpose will be monitoring the profile process and results.
Thanks, yeah I'd have to figure out how to hook it up in the most efficient way. So I could put an amp in the loop of the Kemper and dial it in with an IR on the Kemper itself? Could handy that way indeed!

Ejay

Thanks, yeah I'd have to figure out how to hook it up in the most efficient way. So I could put an amp in the loop of the Kemper and dial it in with an IR on the Kemper itself? Could handy that way indeed!
That is also possible...but I meant putting your “IR machine” in the loop of the kemper....I assume that gives you the IR on both the profile and the amp during the profile process. If that fails....use the monitoring outs where you can disable the kempers cab. A soon as you add an IR to the profile..you can compare the 2 by toggling between main and monitor out.

Fyi..during the profile process you get presented a toggle switch between amp and profile..so there’s value in having a relevant monitoring feed during the profile process.

Guitarjon

That is also possible...but I meant putting your “IR machine” in the loop of the kemper....I assume that gives you the IR on both the profile and the amp during the profile process. If that fails....use the monitoring outs where you can disable the kempers cab. A soon as you add an IR to the profile..you can compare the 2 by toggling between main and monitor out.

Fyi..during the profile process you get presented a toggle switch between amp and profile..so there’s value in having a relevant monitoring feed during the profile process.
Ah I see (I feel like such a newbie). So I could also put the main output of the Kemper into the Axe fx and just monitor everything that's happening on the Kemper through an IR in the Axe fx. That's probably the best idea indeed!

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Profiling amps is a blast. And addictive in the wrong (aka destructive to my "gear fund") ways

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
Many people do DI profiles, I think you would be a great candidate as you have a very impressive collection of cool amps heads in your stable.
With the QC right on the verge of being available I would consider waiting for it's release and availability (Spring 2021?). Or, buy used KPA and sell it after the QC is out IF (and only IF) it lives up to the hype and the profiling process is as good and straightforward as the KPA.
Only reasons being the QC "might" edge out the KPA in terms of quality / amount of FX, it's "bleeing edge" vs. KPA and it also includes the "modeling" paradigm you spoke about liking with L6 and Fractal.

Guitarjon

With your collection, I just don't see the point of it.
Well, aside from just wanting to mess around it could be very handy for me to profile all my amps and use those profiles for demos etc. That way I don't always have to plugin in my tube amps, seems like a convenient tool for certain things. Not to mention that I could use it for videos.

PaisleyWookie

Well, aside from just wanting to mess around it could be very handy for me to profile all my amps and use those profiles for demos etc. That way I don't always have to plugin in my tube amps, seems like a convenient tool for certain things. Not to mention that I could use it for videos.
I guess that makes sense. I just had a friend off his Kemper in favor of the tube amps he already has, in conjunction with a Captor X. He's more than happy with that, and can now get yet another tube amp. :D

Guitarjon

I guess that makes sense. I just had a friend off his Kemper in favor of the tube amps he already has, in conjunction with a Captor X. He's more than happy with that, and can now get yet another tube amp. :D
I'm absolutely not looking to get rid of any tube amp fwiw. I love them a lot and I use them a lot! This would just be something extra on the side. I don't even think I'd be interested in trying any profiles from other folks. It would just be for me to make profiles of my own amps.

Tricerapotamus

Just stick with what you have already and keep using all of those tube amps that you already know and love... or for live playing get a Boss Waza Tube Amp Expander. BTW I noticed the same thing with Fractal... had both a Axe-FX II and FM3. many of the amp models all sound so close to one another... like there's a small handful of actual amp models, or distortion generators or whatever, and the rest is just tweaking frequency curves to match the individual amps.

Last edited:

Trending Topics