Thinking of getting a midi pick up...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rustyair, Feb 20, 2012.

1. rustyair

rustyair Member

2. Dave Klausner

Dave Klausner Member

13 pin systems are pretty much the only game left in town for getting MIDI output from an actual guitar. The GK3 is probably the easiest pickup to do as a retro fit, but Graph Tech and RMC both make piezo systems embedded in replacement saddles that work quite well, but are a more intensive install.

You will still need a box that takes in 13 pin signals and outputs MIDI (I'm currently using a GR55 for that myself).

3. geddyentwistle

geddyentwistle Member

question about the 13 pin cable

is it possible to wire that 13 pin plug to 2 1/4 inch cables/plugs, so that the e,b,g,d strings to one, and the e and a go to the other??

i have an acoustic wired that way using lr baggs under saddle piezo, but can it be done with the roland "midi" pick up??

4. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Member

Your talking about digital information being sent down the 13 pin lead not the signal from a traditional pickup or piezo, so no..

The roland GK3 tracks really well and is a doddle to retrofit, but like all it works better when the pickup is hard mounted rather than tape mounted as the height of the pickup is critical to getting good tracking.

5. LarryOM

LarryOM Guest

The only "digital" signals in the 13-pin lead are on one of the switches or 2 pushbuttons depending on whether you have an internal GK-kit system or an external GK-3. Each of the 6 segments of the hex pickup sends its (buffered) analog signal down the 13-pin cable.

6. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I use a Roland Ready strat with a GK2 built in

7. just_one_more

just_one_more Member

8. MrDoty

MrDoty Supporting Member

Audio to midi on guitar SUCKS no matter what. Check out this

yourockguitar.com

9. wakd

wakd Member

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  10. Dave Klausner

Dave Klausner Member

I wouldn't say audio to MIDI on a guitar sucks, but you do have to compromise your playing style a bit. You also have to realize that all you get through MIDI is note on/of, velocity (volume), and pitch, so a lot of the subtleties you can do with a guitar won't translate.

Having said that, I recently checked out the Kitara - http://www.misadigital.com/index.php?target=kitara - and for me, a regular guitar with a MIDI pickup makes more sense. I'm way too reliant on left hand pitch bends and vibrato to be comfortable with just buttons, plus, in most playing situations, I tend to use the regular pickups more than the synth sounds. I also like to blend the guitar and synth signals together. YMMV of course.

11. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

That Fishman demo is very cool - I think I will wait for that. It says June 2012 for a release date. Its wireless so no cable to worry about.

The problems with those Roland pickups is that they are very delicate. They have a tiny screw with very small threads holding together a lot of parts under a lot of pressure.

Also, while I double-sided tape-mounted mine and it worked fine (between bridge pup and bridge) that tape does tend to change its height depending on the humidity and age.

So, it does work better to hardmount the pickup - which basically means using a guitar you don't mind modifying. If you don't have one you have to buy one.

So, personally having been down the GK-3 road, I would lead towards factory-made.
    Parker Fly has one that I am dying to try. The review says it tracks extremely well.

Then you have sound modules & latency. The Roland midi sound modules for guitar have a fair amount of latency and a number of tracking issues. The newest GI-20 is better than the 33, it is smaller, cheaper and has less latency. If you want the best Roland the brand new VG-99 system costs about $1500.