Thinking of going back to all Marshall heads !

panhead5

Gold Supporting Member
Over the years I've owned a bunch of Marshalls and sold them for the latest and greatest or just something better .I miss them .I'm not dumb enough to say they all were the greatest sounding but that's the fun of it finding "the one ". There's just something to me about the history and Marshall Mojo the I've always liked when playing them.In fact when I get a new amp it is usually Marshall based or I try to get it to sound like one .I here them in all the music I like .

Well, after seeing a fellow forumites pile of heads stacked up I realized all the ones I've had over the years and some I didn't pay much for .I actually even had some 900's that sounded decent .

I ran this by my rock N roll buddies and they swear I've lost it as I'm the one that has the "Marshall The Sound of Rock "banner in the basement .

Now cabinets -- That's a different story .

I'm going back to my man cave as I 'm not sure of the point of my thread here .

Mooncusser

Glad to see you back Panhead!
Grab a 1959 SLP, JTM45/100 , ect... and have at it.

Last edited:

Billion81

It'd be a whole lot cooler if you did.
I have played Marshalls on and off over the years. From Plexis to JCM 800/900s and back to a JTM45/100 JH100. Well- I played a JCM2000 TSL combo this weekend that was owned by my BIL- Man, it was a great, great rig. Really dug the clean and lead tones.

One of my main amps is actually a 2061x which is a great little EL84, cathode bias amp. My strat going straight in to this amp is absolutely killer. Great for country and jazz stuff believe it or not. I don't like it with my LP so much but it really sings with tele and strat.

I got some weekend GAS and bid on a DSL100 head over the weekend on Ebay but lost it to a sniper.

They fall into the fair weather category that get left aside for the boutique type amps but are always there, always faithful.

paulscape

I have played Marshalls on and off over the years. From Plexis to JCM 800/900s and back to a JTM45/100 JH100. Well- I played a JCM2000 TSL combo this weekend that was owned by my BIL- Man, it was a great, great rig. Really dug the clean and lead tones.

One of my main amps is actually a 2061x which is a great little EL84, cathode bias amp. My strat going straight in to this amp is absolutely killer. Great for country and jazz stuff believe it or not. I don't like it with my LP so much but it really sings with tele and strat.

I got some weekend GAS and bid on a DSL100 head over the weekend on Ebay but lost it to a sniper.

They fall into the fair weather category that get left aside for the boutique type amps but are always there, always faithful.
man I know what you guys mean. I have a bray plexi that's great and some other high gain heads like elmwood but I was playing a jcm2000 in a shop the other week and loved it! I had always heard mixed reviews of it but to my ears it sounded great, was relatively flexible and I was very impressed with how easily harmonics kept out. I'm gassing...

panhead5

Gold Supporting Member
Right now I have a late 70's 100 watt master volume Jmp and an early 80's 800 2204 ..I had a 1959 that I sold but i need to get another one along with some ear plugs and an attenuator !!

I had a 25/59 Jubilee ,a 2205 w Svetlanas and a sl-x w/5881's in it I wish a had never sold as well as many others good and bad .It seems I stuggle with anything over 6 or 7 knobs.

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
I should add that I have always been a fender guy. Have built a couple of 18watts and been just so so impressed (I may need to set down the LP and pick up the tele or strat). I have all the fixens for a JTM45 and a board for a 50 (1987)... but have been hesitating. I like a bit of clean... maybe I should get to soldering.

jcs

My 71 Marshall Smallbox 50 has excellent cleans but you need to roll the guitar volume off to achieve this.

These amps are different than Fenders (i own lots of Fender amps), the Marshalls need to be cranked more to get them in their zone,whereas most Fenders sound great at 3-6 on the volume.

Most Marshalls dont sound good at 3-4 on the volume,but push them to 5-10 and then manipulate the guitar volume to taste imo.

Trending Topics