Thinking of going for a "Royal Blood-esque setup" with my new drummer jam partner!

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by NoiseNinja, Nov 26, 2017.

1. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

Just started jamming with a drummer, just me on bass and her on drums, and as it happens I got some fairly busy bass compositions that I can't seem to fit in anywhere else in what I am doing (think kind of hard prog-rock).

So I am seriously pondering on investing in one of the fairly new Mooer Tender Octaver MKII pedals, and then use my two amp setup and Boss LS-2 for doing a Royal Blood-esque setup.

(I know the old Tender Octaver model was quite sought out among bass players for it's excellent tracking and it's tonal similarities to the EHX Nano POG, as a cheaper alternative.)

That means running the Tender Octaver in octave up mode and send only the octave up sound through my Joyo Orange Juice OD pedal into one of the effect loops of the LS-2, then sending that part to my 50W Dynacord Bass-King tube amp, that despite it's name works excellently as guitar amp too, and my uneffected bass signal into my SS Trace Elliot bass amp, to get both the pure bass sound and a separate octave up guitar like signal.

Got a feeling it would work well with the sort of compositions I have, and might fill up the empty space only being a drummer and a bassist, eliminating the need for a guitarist to get involved in the project too.

Any one else do this sort of thing or have any thoughts or tips they might like to share regarding this?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    fretless likes this.
  2. sprag

sprag Member

Stereo setup is killer. I did it with a full band but for a 2 piece you might consider some heavy reverb or delay along with the usual suspects for bass to help fill out the aural real estate.

Also no need to limit one chain to clean and one to dirty. I love my moog lpf through one amp while some OD is sizzling through the other

NoiseNinja likes this.
  3. Ti-Ron

Ti-Ron Member

Anderton did a video about how to sound like Royal Blood :

Thor likes this.
  4. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

Well, the point is not that I want to sound like Royal Blood, the point is that I am using their idea of getting a bass/drum rock duo to work.

Anyway thanks for posting it, there still might be some tips and ideas in that video I can use, although the drummer seem to have found a guitar player who would be interested in jamming with us, which might make this whole thing irrelevant in the end.

Edit!:
    Absolutely an interesting video, but think, if I eventually go through with this, that I will be experimenting with a fairly clean bass signal and an octave up (guitar) signal run through various dirt pedals (OD, Dist and fuzz) at different time, but still I imagine the basic sound of my octave up signal most of the time probably being not quite as dirty as that in the video/Royal Blood.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017