Thinking of going from carpet to wood floors

8raw

I have a pretty good stereo and it sounds good now, but my WTW carpet is beat. I also play in there sometimes, but mostly it's a stereo room. 8 foot ceilings, area rug covers the middle of the floor, upholstered furniture. Think I'm ok with hard wood floors? I've heard other rooms where it sounds echoey, but I think they had higher ceilings and that might have contributed.

Birddog

I hear oak floors have haunting mids. Ash & other hardwoods are a little twangy.

All kidding aside, you can get good sound on hardwood floors, but definitely keep the area rug.

RhytmEarl

My girlfriend always had hardwood. She mention going to carpet but I discouraged her.

Lance

Gold Supporting Member
Most good studios I have been in had hardwood floors. But, they also had dampening stuff mounted on the walls to soak up at least some of the echo.

RLD

Silver Supporting Member
Think I'm ok with hard wood floors? I've heard other rooms where it sounds echoey, but I think they had higher ceilings and that might have contributed.
For live rooms, the higher the ceiling the better.

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
I did this. The room sounded terrible (tone-wise) with the hard wood floors. I put down an area rug that covered 80% of the floor -- that solved the problem.

My current music room is bigger, and also has hardwood flooring. I have only about 40% of the floor covered with an area rug (the amps are aligned with the edge of the rug), and the room sounds good.

There are probably other ways to skin that cat.

centuryx3

Don't forget to array your vinyl along any bare wall expanses. Fabric upholstered furniture is better than leather. Google "small room acoustics" and search discussions on listening rooms on audiogon.com for ideas.

Probos

Silver Supporting Member
After living with hardwood floors for the better part of the last 5 years I can't imagine going back to carpet. We have some area rugs but that's it. Pretty maintenance free, less dust/dirt,...just seems cleaner. I like it.

Misterbulbous

yes, why do you ask?

OK, I should be fine with the big area rug and furniture I have in there. I'll proceed with caution. :)

Thanks.
if you have a dog, get used to hearing
click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,

8raw

if you have a dog, get used to hearing
click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,click, click, click, click, click,
LOLOL I didn't think of that!

Misterbulbous

Keep them filed to the quick.
I know...our home builder and I kept telling my wife that hardwood floors + a black lab were a bad mix. She was so stubborn about it and really wanted hardwood. I caved...after about 10 minutes she realized that we were right.

Trimming her nails helps for a few days, but even our cat's claws make noise walking across the floor.

sixty2strat

Never lived in a place with WTW. Hardwood floors are the real deal. Get a bunch or Persian Rugs and your set. Never really worried about how my house sounds, with all the **** ass clubs bars outdoors and bitch ass soundmen any room at home is perfect

Trending Topics