Thinking of Going Strat - Fender USA or G&L?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Josh O, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Josh O

Josh O Member

I'm probably going down to one electric once I sell my TCM Empress but I've been considering a Strat sometime in the near future to complement my TCM Taurus Standard. I don't want to go crazy pricewise (under $1K) but I do want USA made. I want a maple board vice rosewood, would like it to have locking tuners if possible (I know that I can add them later), if it had a hum in the bridge that would be cool but not an absolute necessity. Would I be better off going G&L or is the quality of the Fender USA strats worthwhile? I saw a cool G&L S-500 that had a locking keys and a mini toggle switch to bring in multiple combos of the single coils, probably something along the line of Fender's new S1 switching system. Thoughts, models to look at, etc?

2. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

While I'm a G&L guy, things like neck profiles vary due to being hand-made. Do need to play a few to find the right fit. Very high-quality, consistent guitars. I find the tuning stable, they are road-worthy, etc.

General belief w/ Fenders seems to be play several and see if you find one that speaks to you.

YMMV...

3. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

I recently played a few G&L's and was thoroughly impressed with the feel and build quality, seemed somewhat better than most Fenders I have played.
    I would think about a good used one, Fender or G&L in that price range either way.

Richard

4. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

...and as for G&L models, perhaps in addition to the S-500 look at the Legacy Special, Legacy HB, or Legacy 2HB... http://glguitars.com/

5. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I've bought 2 used G&L's. For the price, I couldn't find anything else in class. They do feel and sound a little different than a Fender. Let your ears and hands decide, which is best for you.

6. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I'm very happy with my USA Fender (Buddy Guy Sig. Strat).

G&Ls are fine instruments and I've tried my friends but never really bonded with them.

If I were starting from scratch today I'd also consider a Melancon.

7. aquadog

aquadog Member

I'd also go for a G&L. Sounds like an S-500 may be the one for you, but don't overlook the comanche. It comes with either rosewood or a maple board, locking tuners, mini toggle, PTB swithing (treble and bass instead of tone knobs), and the z-coils. While it won't hit strat sounds 100%, it is probably the most versitle guitar I've ever played- you can approximate strats, teles, and P-90 as well as humbucker tones. Plus, theres no hum.

The legacy would be another really good choice for you. Its more in the vein of a true strat (closest after the George Fullerton) than the comanche or s-500 (which is sort of like a super strat).
    Give them all a try if you can.

8. Chris

Chris Member

I really dig my S-500. Bought it used at a good price, and it's satisfied my strat itch completely. That's my vote.

9. papersoul

papersoul Member

Keep in mind the Strat will feel different than the G&L and there is a difference in feel as well due to the fretboard radius. G&L has a flatter radius at 12" more like a Gibson. I have a Strat and love the vibe and stratty tones but I also plan on buying a G&L dual humbucker model someday - best of both worlds.:)

10. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

G&L. I have a Legacy Special that is way better than any of the Strats I've ever owned.

11. jordanL

jordanL Member

Personally I'm a G&L fan over Fender, but the best advice I can give is go out and play a few and see which appeals to you. G&L has a few features that not everyone likes-the Dual fulcrum bridge is a full floating bridge, and some people love G&L MFD pups - and others hate them.

As far as models G&L has a number of S variations the woodwork is identical but each has different hardware.

12. rbisherw

rbisherw Guest

I have owned many G&Ls, they are great guitars.

that said, my current (and only) Strat is a Fender 2005 AV57 which is the best playing Strat I have everowned.

13. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

I had an s-500 years back, it was an ash/maple guitar with the "swimming pool" route (Not sure if they still do this.) It was a "Strat" in the sense of the word but didn't really feel like a "Strat" to me. It WAS a great guitar though, but for what I found myself using it for I was more inclined to use my high end ibanez so I sold it (Which sometimes I regret.) It felt like a cross between a strat and a full size tom anderson strat if that makes sense.

I also think they tend to be a little heavier than the fenders. The MFD pickups were dark, but suited the guitar. Didn't sound vintage at all, more in P-90 territory but it was a powerful sound.

If you have the strat itch just because you want that body style, the G&L is certainly worth a look. If you want the classic "Strat" sound I think you will have better luck with fender.

My $.02

14. Alister

Alister Supporting Member

For me, it's not even close -- and I own several Fender strats and teles, as well.
    G&L meets or exceeds Fender 'custom shop' at every pass.
    Don't forget Leo's and George Fullerton's involvements in the G&L process, thinkin about MFD pickups or whatever differences people allude to.
    G&L Teles, by the way, are fabulous. My next solidbody will be a deluxe with 2 buckers.

15. KRosser

KRosser Member

G&L makes three Strat-esque models, the Legacy, the S-500 and the Comanche. The Legacy is the most Fender-like, in that it has alnico pickups. I'd start there. I LOVE mine.....

16. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

...there's also a George Fullerton model that is very much akin to a vintage Strat.

17. aquadog

aquadog Member

thats right, its essentially the same. Same radius, fret size, tuners, pickup style, etc. Wouldnt mind getting my hands around one of those. Its one of the few strats I actually don't mind in red.

18. straightblues

straightblues Member

I had an $1,100 american strat for awhile. When I played a G&L I immediatley sold the Fender. The G&L just feels like a much better instrument all around. I would highly recommend playing G&L before you buy Fender.

19. discountsounds

discountsounds Member

If you have the opportunity to try out a Hamer Daytona (USA model of course) definitely check it out. WAY better than an American Fender IMO. They were only made for about four years in the 90s and they sell used for well under $1000.

Can't comment on the G&L strats, but I never did like their ASATs.

20. The_Whale

The_Whale Member

You got to try both, Fenders and G&Ls are very different in some ways.