Thinking of Ordering a Thorn Singlecut

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by JoeinLA, May 15, 2006.

1. JoeinLA

JoeinLA Member

Well, I was toying around with getting a PRS ME Singlecut, and realized for the price I could get a custom made guitar. It seems like Ron Thorn is making quite a name for himself, so I was thinking of getting on the bandwagon while the getting was only 18 months. I visited him at the LA Amp Show and now I'm seriously tempted to get a Thorn singlecut. I sent Ron the following email:

"Thanks alot for spending time with me. I've attached a spreadsheet that I've filled out as best as I know for now, but basically what I think I'd like to go with is a Singlecut with Trem, with a chambered Limba body (not sure if black or white), a 5A Quilt Top (preferable one-piece), and an old-growth Brazilian neck (is the fingerboard "extra" or is it a one-piece neck/fingerboard ala McCarty IRWs?).

A couple of my thoughts after playing my guitars this weekend:
    1. I really like the crisp response, harmonics, and articulation of my PRS Modern Eagle, but I don't feel that it's got the "fatness" or "growl" or "warmth" of my Les Paul. I'd love to get a guitar as comfortable and well made as the Modern Eagle but has the "fat bite" of my Les Paul. I'm not as much into a "dark" sound as I am into the "fatness, growl and warmth".
    2. I think on the fretboard, I would like to have only 1 marker on the 12th fret.
    3. Not sure about fretwire, pickups, that sort of thing.
    4. I went with a trem as I'd love to have the flexibility, but I'd hate to compromise on sustain or "warmth".
    5. I'm thinking of getting push/pull on the tone knobs to maybe get a semi-single coil tone for added flexibility.
    6. Lastly, would it be possible to get a 25" neck with 24 frets? Just curious since I'm pretty used to CU24's. Not sure if I want it, but I'm thinking since I'm going to for the gusto on this guitar, I'd try to make it as flexible as possible.

One other note is that I've found some LPs to have necks that are too wide for me and I'm fighting with the neck when playing it or the neck just tires me out b/c my fingers aren't used to the stretching. I really like the feel of PRS necks and the '60's LP neck. Not sure how to "measure" that.

Hopefully this all makes some sense to you. Again, I'm just looking to get in line right now. I'll be continuing to compare my various guitars to find out what I like/don't like about them. I'm not going to a "I want to sound like this..." but more like I want make the guitar have MY sound."

My questions to the group: Anyone have any thoughts about this? Do my descriptions/specs make sense? Am I on crack? Instead of wasting time and money on yet another guitar, should I be working on my guitar skills so that I'm actually worthy of a custom made instrument?

Thanks in advance!

2. whoofnagle

whoofnagle Member

3. mikef1331

mikef1331 Member

Like Whoofnagle said, give Ron a call. He's a great guy to talk with.

4. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

Ron's trem is easily the most solid non-locking one I've ever used. No problems with sustain or warmth with his design.

5. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

As far as I know, Ron does not do 24 frets. He has duplicated PRS neck shapes for several guys so far, so no problem there.

6. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Don't mean to take anything away from Ron's guitars, as they are spectacular, but take a look at McNaught as well. His SCs are a mainstay for him, and are beautiful creations. Amazing build and woods, and the 'neck-thru' design lends to fabulous sustain and resonance. And from what you say, you'd LOVE his standard neck. It's like a full, very rounded V, not overly wide, with a very subtle taper. One of the best ever. You can spec. hardware, etc., to taste. AC

7. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Supporting Member

As long as you're reallllllllllllllly patient, Ron will make you a killer guitar.

8. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

I believe that the scale length is going to have a large effect on the tone and feel. Definitely discuss your choice with Ron. If you really want more LP with PRs playability I think you might have to go shorter scale. Good luck. I am jonesing for a Thorn myself.

cmn

9. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

Two words.... DO IT. :Spank Trust me, you won't regret it. As stated above, if you have the patience Ron will make you THE best guitar you've ever had the pleasure of owning! No joke. I have played several (including the singlecut prototype, SC-X) of his guitars and was blown away by each and every one. My own personal Thorn will be completed within the next couple months and I'm already ordering one of his Singlecuts too when I can get the money together! Trust me when I say this, Ron's work is impeccable and his attention to detail is second to none. He WILL build you an amazing guitar, and you will love him for it! :D As said above (both guys are also owners or soon-to-be owners), call Ron. You will be surprised how easy to talk to he is, and he will explain everything you need to know in detail. Describe what you want your guitar to sound like, he will make it happen! I am thankful I stumbled onto his work, I have a beautiful guitar on the way and a great friend out of the deal! :AOK

10. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Two other names come to my mind.
    J Nunis (not sure if he's back yet)
    Baker - B3 - Fine tuned instruments

11. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Thorn Sc#02 on order for me.

3 Les Pauls and a Prs Singlecut at home.

Enough said.:RoCkIn

12. JoeinLA

JoeinLA Member

Thorn SC#20 on order :)

Now I only have to wait about 18 months. But I'm sure it will be worth it!

I just hope he doesn't change his formula or get burnt out before mine is done.

13. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Congrats Joe!!!!

You won't be sorry.:)

:BEER cheers my Singlecut buddy!!!!

14. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

Congrats to Larry and Joe!

15. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

Cool! What were your final specs???

16. graydane

graydane Member

very cool, you won't regret working with Ron Thorn at all.

17. JoeinLA

JoeinLA Member

Well, I spend Saturday with Ron and I want to say that he's a SUPER COOL dude. He took alot of time with me and my wife, and we picked out woods, tops, control layouts, etc. In fact, my wife is going to design her own guitar and if I like how these turn out, I'll probably get a third! For the price of a Historic LP or a Modern Eagle, I can't see how you're going wrong!

Though three at once is probably overkill :p

18. JoeinLA

JoeinLA Member

Oh yeah, specs on my Singlecut: Mahagony body (2 1/8), Old growth Braz neck, 5A Quilt top (really killer IMHO), trem, one master volume with 2 coil split tone controls, pickup selector mounted near the tone controls. Didn't select pickups as I'll do that once the guitar is finished. I also haven't figured out whether I'm doing an inlay on mine or if I'll keep it simple - but my wife is planning a really killer Artisan (don't want to spill the beans on the design).

Now if I can only wait 1.5 years. Geez!

19. dwes

dwes Member

Congrats! Let's see the top if you have a pic.
    Dave

20. matte

matte Senior Member

25" chambered White Limba back/neck scale length singlecut carved top trem guitar? Sounds familiar.
    [​IMG]