Thinking of pulling the trigger on a DT25 tomorrow...

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Axe-Man, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I've sold my Orange head and a couple of pedals and have the cash to pull the trigger tomorrow. There is even a sale on at my local store which makes it a good time to pickup the DT25 head.

The problem...I've been tossing up over a Vox AC15HW1x and the DT25.

I do own the HD500 and figure the DT might be an amp to spend some time with. I dislike tweaking and whilst I've found cool sounding with the HD into various poweramps/fx returns, I'm still unsure it'll sound 'right'.

I did test the DT50 and thought it was a pretty decent sounding amp. TBH, it was a nice amp and had definite potential and I walked away thinking very positive things where I've walked away after playing through a number of quality valve amps not thinking very nice things at all!

I'm also agonising over the fact that I KNOW I will lose cash on this purchase as L6 is worth sweet FA on the used market and the Vox will hold it value really well as they are killer sounding and hand wired...but I think the DT does a decent Vox effort plus it's really flexible...and I'm one of those people that wants to play blues, then rock then metal all in one session.

Am I doing the right thing?

I'm not going to get a Variax but having this level of flexibility would be great...as long as it sounds like a valve amp.

To quote a 60's sci-fi show...oh, the pain...

I want to get it but I don't wish to regret it either!

2. crispsandwich

crispsandwich Member

I'm taking delivery of a DT25 1x12 combo in around two hours' time. I have tested it extensively in the shop, and it's a fab little amp. I can't wait to try it with my HD500. So much tweaking potential :).

3. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Make sure you let me know what you think as I'll 'potentially' be picking one up in about 16 hours!

4. crispsandwich

crispsandwich Member

Well I've just spent about an hour going through some of the different tones.

Wow, what a wonderful little amp. I thought it was great on its' own, but with the HD500 it kills anything else I've ever played through. As a bedroom player, I can get great tones at low volume. I was really surprised at how good the JCM800 model is through the amp. It sounds absolutely incredible.

The FX sound great too.

Now I just need a JTV Variax and I'll be set :D

5. jdalf

jdalf Member

im thinking about getting one down the road, keep us posted as ya'll wring it out

6. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Sounds like a very promising start!

I guess the bedroom volume side of it is useful as if it sounds good low (not thin or muddy), it'll likely sound much better high up with the output tubes working hard.

I'm busily watching vid after vid about the Vox and DT amps and reading up on anything I can find about them. It's going to be a tough decision I think.

7. Excelsis

Excelsis Member

Haven't played any of them, but judging from good reviews and videos I would go for DT25 because of flexibility as you mentioned that you need flexibility, you'll be able to get good vox sounds too, and if you're worried about resell value then you should think about reasons you're buying it- for playing or for selling?

8. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Voxes are 1 trick ponies. You'll need a bunch of pedals ect. Id get the line, 6 with the hd500....
    Killer versatile rig... later get a variax

9. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

This is just what I got (DT25+HD500)! So far so good!

10. Titi1506

Titi1506 Member

HD500+DT25 is a really nice setup. It's my main small gig setup and I like it a lot!

I was able to reproduce my main rig (Metro head and pedals) and to get a very nice vintage tube tone with it. It's really a killer awesome sounding small rig!

The only thing that I don't like so much is the Low Volume Mode. It sounds OK but too different than the Full Volume Mode. I prefer to use it with an attenuator for home use.

11. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

Sounds like a great amp. I think it's interesting that this amp is very popular, in part due to it's limited models. For a lot of players, it's more about accesability that unlimited models. If you add the HD you get it all. Nice design concept.

12. Tarkus

Tarkus Member

If you don't like it, and you're already resigned to losing money on the re-sale, I'm your buyer.

13. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I might actually give this one a shot. I am thinking about selling off everything (except the KPA) and using the DT25 on it's own (from small jams/writing sessions) and using the KPA into the FX return (it would then use the tube power amp stage, correct?).

14. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I would imagine that the KPA into the FX loop will work great and you have alot of options for class etc

I'd pickup a cheap SH HD500 just to use with it as it really does work well and it would be a great portable jamming/small gig rig.

I've just finished giving mine a loud shake down today and IMHO it's actually a pretty decent setup.

I wouldn't say it sounds quite like a tube amp but IMHO it's prob the best of the current crop of modeller units that I've personally heard (HD PODs, Eleven Rack, Axe FX etc). It works really well with no issues and the HD+DT are great together.

Through some nicely broken in V30s in a open back the bassman sim sounds great and really warm and full. TBH, this is a seriously good sound. I love the cleans this unit puts out and with a tube comp they really sing like a tube amp would.

The Recto can sound pretty darn good though it frequently borders on either too dark or too piercing/harsh with just a couple of extra millimetres of treble or presence. I dial it in a little darker which opens up nicely once the volume gets pushed.

For a portable, flexible, lower volume (it's still not 'bedroom' friendly as it can get pretty darn loud the moment you push the master) rig it's a great setup.