Thinking of purchasing Orange OR120 Overdrive reissue for $1,500 (Craigslist)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Proceedeth, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Proceedeth

Proceedeth Member

Hey my dudes,

https://austin.craigslist.org/msg/d/austin-90s-reissue-orange-or120/7051630203.html

This is a 90's reissue Orange Overdrive for $1,500. Looks pretty clean. I've been wanting one for quite some time and not sure I should pass up on this sale. Do yall think it's a fair asking price? Additionally - I know the effects loop wasn't for pedals in the originals. Does anyone know if the 90's reissue made the loop more functional for modern gear?

Thanks guys.

2. art_z

art_z Supporting Member

That’s a decent price. I’ve had several Overdrives over the past 25 years, both originals and reissues and they sounded identical. Make sure you get a good set of el34s.

the loop really only works with time based effects like reverb and delay and even there it wasn’t all that great.

3. deepcove17

deepcove17 Supporting Member

Yes fair price for a very cool amp. Can not comment on the effects loop as I have no experience with it.

4. fiveightandten

fiveightandten Member

Fair price, great amp. I've owned a few of them and still have a '71 and a 90's OR-80. The Echo Loop (NOT an effects loop, it was made for the Orange outboard reverb unit) was not changed for the 90's models. The circuit is the same at the 1974-1978 amps that were built back in the day.

Does the seller have any pictures of the chassis? One thing to watch out for with these amps is if the output transformer has been replaced. Those irons don't take kindly to mismatch and a lot of these amps have replaced transformers due to misuse.

5. Proceedeth

Proceedeth Member

Thanks for the reply - interesting they kept it as the "echo loop" and not a modern effects loop. I can't imagine there were too many outboard reverbs being used in the mid 90s. I had read quite a bit about the transformer issue. If it had been changed, say to something like a Mercury Magnetics or another reputable brand, would you consider it a downgrade?

6. fiveightandten

fiveightandten Member

The 90's amps were distributed by Gibson and made under contract by Trace Elliot. So it's not like there was any intent to R&D a modern effects loop into the circuit. They were essentially reissues of the late 70's amps. You'd have to add a lot of extra circuitry to add a normal usable effects loop. It would surely change the sound of the amp. But nothing would stop you from trying your pedals in the loop. You may be ok with how it sounds.

A Mercury Magnetics OT would be an upgrade from the stock 90's OT, in my opinion. The MM is a bolder sounding iron. Another drop in replacement is the Orange AD140 OT, and there are some Matamp irons that drop into the amp as well. They're all good OTs, but it's when people start stuffing Marshall or Hammond universal OT units into an Orange where things go south. I've seen both of those situations and it ruins the amp.

If you're shelling out $1500, you just want to know what you're buying. A screwdriver to remove that rear panel will answer that question for you quickly. Most of the above replacement irons either look different and/or have tags on the top that identify them.

7. Proceedeth

Proceedeth Member

Thank you for the insightful post. Greatly appreciate. I have an additional question regarding the effects loop now that my curiosity is piqued; is it something to do with line volume such as line vs instrument? Or is it something completely else. How do the compare to the "preamp out" and "power amp in" concept?

8. fiveightandten

fiveightandten Member

The echo send and return are just jacks that are tapped into the output of the FAC knob gain stage. There's a 100K resistor in line with each jack, and a 100K resistor that sort of mixes the parallel outboard signal. But it varies based on where the volume knob is set, as that determines the signal strength going to the send jack. There's no buffer in the circuit or anything like that. The reverb unit had a gain knob to compensate for this. Your time-based effects pedals most likely do not.

The Slave out jack is like a pre-amp out, as it was designed to be used with the Orange Slave power amp heads. That actually takes the signal from the same stage, right after the Echo loop jacks.