Thinking of replacing my EQD Disaster Transport with a Carbon Copy...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BenGWU, May 20, 2015.

1. BenGWU

BenGWU Member

Would anyone condone this?

I see that a lot of people speak very highly of the CC which makes me very interested in it and I like the small footprint. I also know I could make a bit of money back as well by selling the DT and getting a used CC.

I use delay mainly for ambience

So really what I'm asking is would it be worth getting a Carbon Copy to replace my Disaster Transport? Judging by what a lot of people say about it seems like it would

2. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

I know most folks speak highly of the Carbon Copy, but I truly believe the Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail is essentially the same pedal with a few key improvements. First, the modulation controls that are internal trim pots on the CC are on the outside of the VT. Secondly the VP has an additional output that can be used several ways (exp pedal, send repeats to another amp, send repeats through a separate loop).

3. Trevorsnackson

Trevorsnackson Member

The carbon copy is one of my favorite pedals of all time, right now I'm using a time factor instead, but I will still always reccommend the carbon copy

4. Kestrel

Kestrel Member

The Carbon Copy is a great delay pedal, but can sound muddy compared to the Disaster Transport (I have a Disaster Transport Jr on my board currently). The advantage of the Disaster Transport over the Carbon Copy is in the Tone control. You can get into Carbon Copy territory with the Tone knob counter-clockwise, but you can also brighten up the repeats if you want them to stand out in the mix. The Carbon Copy is perfect for dark organic echoes and it's one of my all time favourite delays, but personally find the Disaster Transport (Jr in my case) to be a bit more versatile.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  5. dotlights

dotlights Member

I did exactly that earlier this week. I couldn't fit my Disaster Transport on my board anymore after adding a new pedal and I don't want to get a bigger board. The Carbon Copy does fit if I use super flat patch cables. Like you, I used the Disaster Transport for ambience and I especially like the spooky vibe the modulation adds to the repeats. The modulation on the Carbon Copy sounds different (haven't tried messing with the internal trimpots yet), but I can get the same dark and gritty sounds with the CC as I used to get from the DT. If you keep the tone knob above 12 'o clock on the DT I'm not sure if you'll like how dark the CC sounds.

Anyway, just get a used CC and see if you like it. If you don't you can probably sell it without losing any money and if you do you can sell the DT :)

6. BenGWU

BenGWU Member

To be honest I usually have the tone towards the counter clockwise side and I only use subtle modulation. Basically I have set it up to sound like a carbon copy (without knowing it) so I'm thinking I may as well just get a carbon copy

7. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Have you investigated the newer Keeley Magnetic Echo? Kinda leaves the Carbon Copy in the dust in my experience.

8. 5150

5150 Member

Ditto. I dumped my two Carbon Copy's for a Vapor Trail and it is no contest. I don't use the modulation nor the additional output, but the basic analog delay only and I find the Vapor Trail much easier to dial in than the MXR Carbon Copy. It also sounds MUCH better. It doesn't affect the core guitar tone much at all, which is what I prefer. Very transparent and still warm at the same time. I picked one up from geartree dot com, used the promo10 coupon and 115 bucks later I was and still am a happy camper.

9. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

I did see some demos of the Magnetic Echo and would agree that it sounds great. But I don't believe it's analog if that matters to anyone.

10. hazmat33

hazmat33 Supporting Member

Another vote for the Vapor Trail here. I use mine w the mod controls all the way down but it still adds a nice warmth to the repeats. And the top jacks help w space.

11. ryandfl

ryandfl Supporting Member

Check out the CC in comparison tests on YouTube. It doesn't hold up very well in my opinion. I suggest saving up for something better, something you like for a long time.