Thinking of selling my 71 champ and getting a Dr.Z mini Z

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 69mojostrat, Oct 11, 2005.

1. 69mojostrat

69mojostrat Member

I have a mint, been in the closet champ for the past 30 some years fender silverface champ that even has the original RCA tubes. I had one of these before and even after I had it serviced it didn't sound as good as this one. But after hearing some clips of the mini Z that one of the members here posted, I was floored with the tones that were coming out of the sound samples.
    Let me know what you guys think. I am kinda strapped for cash but i think i could pull it off. I just got a airbrake and its on it way so i can use my marshall superbass head, but man the mini z has got me thinking.

ohhhh the gasssssss

2. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

you own a classic amp that is rising in value... :dude

you're looking at a non-classic amp that will drop in value... :eek:

you'll have to fork out a bunch of cash to make the switch...:jo

I wouldn't do it, ymmv

3. Ogre

Ogre Member

Play through the Mini-Z, and see if you love it.

4. aortizjr

aortizjr Member

Personally I would keep the champ.

I have a 70's silverface. Mine will never be worth that much since I have modded it some. But they are killer amps, and with some work, they can really scream.

5. theelectic

theelectic Guest

I would keep the Champ as well. If you want a non-destructive, easily reversed, but good sounding mod, have a push/pull pot installed on the Volume control to defeat the tone stack (mid resistor gets lifted from ground). It will up the gain considerably and kick it into more of a tweed sounding territory.

Either that, or get a single Yellowjacket converter to run an EL84 in the Champ.

6. 69mojostrat

69mojostrat Member

wow you guys are keeping me grounded, thanks for the support. I was really leaning towards that mini z, but i think i might cure the gas and just order a weber sig 8 alnico speaker.

7. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

*definitely* keep the Fender!

and live large and get a Mini Z!! :D

8. CNOTE

CNOTE Member

Sell me the Champ and buy the Z > no problem > sell the Z> look for another Champ. Chain,Chain, Chain...

9. 69mojostrat

69mojostrat Member

hey cnote, where you goin with that? Are you saying the Z doesn't hold a candle to the Z?

s:eek:

10. tacorivers

tacorivers Silver Supporting Member

I have a tweed champ, and the best thing that I did was upgrade to a 10" speaker. Very noticible improvment! For a small amp, I think that you'll be hard-pressed to find a better amp.

I think that you can fit a 10" speaker in the silverface champs. You just have to cut a new speaker baffle and offset the speaker. YOu could also do what I did and buy a new cabinet.

11. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

Keep your Champ... These simple little circuits are very mod-friendly. The tonestack bypass mod is a good suggestion. Another great mod to try is to remove the negative feedback from the circuit. Really opens the Champ up and makes it gainier. I found it useful to have it both ways, so I put the -FB on a toggle switch. The amp will stay cleaner and sweeter with the -FB in the circuit, and get gainier and meaner with the -FB taken out... both ways still retain the great dynamics associated with this single-ended Class-A classic!

You should also try it through 10" speakers (as was suggested), or even better yet, a 12" speaker. The Champ has plenty of power to drive a 12" speaker, and they sound particularly good through Celestion types - G12H's are a good match in particular.

You could also have a new cab built for it... I'm having Bill at Sultone build a 1x12 combo cab for my Champ. (www.sultone.com)

I love Z amps (the Ghia is my favorite amp of any), but for low watt tube tone it's hard to beat a Champ. If only owned one amp, it'd be the Ghia... If I owned, two, the second would always be a Champ.

12. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

Play through a Mini Z. It's a great, great little amp.

13. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

I owned a Mini Z. Great amp, but it wasn't quite "it" for me. Now I'm looking for tweed or black face champ...chain chain chain

14. CNOTE

CNOTE Member

69MOJOSTRAT

Heck no!

The Mini Z is a completely different amp than a Fender Champ. The Z has an EL-84 and 1 12AX7. Dr. Z amps are fine amps. I was looking at the Mini Z along with the Star Nova, Fuchs Lucky 7, Carr Mercury and other low watt amps at one time. The price for the Mini Z is a good price for a new 5 watt amp.

I meant, if you sell your Champ and buy a Mini Z and don't like it then go back and buy another Champ or whatever you want!

G'olPeachPhan said it well "Keep your Champ".

Teleplayer said it well "The Mini Z is a great amp"

15. 69mojostrat

69mojostrat Member

thanks for the advice!!!

:dude