Thinking of selling my tube amps. Mistake?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TonePilot, Jul 22, 2019.

1. TonePilot

TonePilot Supporting Member

Over the last two years, I've played my tube amps for all of 10 min. I'm very happy going through the Roland Blues Cube Artist and a couple of FRFRs for additional sound reinforcement.

Here's what I have for tube amps
    1) Fender '65 DRRI, (the blue paisley one) with maybe one hour of total tube time.
    2) Fender limited edition Blues Junior III Redcoat
    3) Fender Hot Rod DeVille
    4) H&K Tubemeister 20 Deluxe head
    5) Carvin V3M head (I'd likely keep this one, great sounds in a small package)

They're all just sitting there gathering dust. I don't NEED to sell them but I don't want to regret doing this later. Thoughts?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  2. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

Drifting about Tennessee in Marshall Heaven
    As long as they're not eating all your food, drinking all your beer and rodgering your dog I'd wait.

Russ

3. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

I could imagine you would regret it if you sold them.

I know I would, cause I've done similar.

I would probably at least keep my favorite of them if I were you.

thesjkexperienc likes this.
  4. hacinador

hacinador Member

I would keep the handwired '65 Deluxe and sell the rest.

Toowoombaus, Brooks, hjc333 and 28 others like this.
  5. DRS

DRS Member

Keep the DRRI

6. Jim234

Jim234 Member

Just keep one of your favs. I hate stuff sitting around unused when some one else could make good use of it.

blackba, Brooks, Ben Furman and 4 others like this.
  7. James_E

James_E Supporting Member

Agree on selling them.. but keep one. I'd keep the DRRI if it were me.

Brooks, Laurence and AbePhroman like this.
  8. TonePilot

TonePilot Supporting Member

Interesting that everyone wants me to keep the DRRI. Wasn't on my short list, need to re-evaluate :)

AbePhroman likes this.
  9. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    The players recommending you keep the DRRI feel that amp is the best, but in your case, you need to determine which of your amps would be the first one you would choose to use.

blackba, stratzrus, bluegrif and 9 others like this.
  10. James_E

James_E Supporting Member

Agree on that! I said the DRRI as 1) it's a benchmark tube amp and 2) that particular incarnation in the OP is probably the hardest of the amps on the list to replace. That and the Carvin I guess.

yfeefy and TonePilot like this.
  11. Axeplyr

Axeplyr Member

I came here to say the exact thing everyone else is... keep the DRRI.

But you say it wasn't on your short list. Which one is? In which order do you prioritize them from most likely to keep to least, and why?

12. Someotherguy

Someotherguy Member

My theory has always been that anyone calling themselves a guitarist should have at least one tube amp somewhere. At least that's what I tell myself. I regretted selling 3 of the last 4 amps I've sold once the high of new gear cash wore off...

PBGas, stonem and Fat tone79 like this.
  13. scott58

scott58 Member

Wait. Regret sucks.

Rivera_Guitarist and zuel69 like this.
  14. tonydee

tonydee Member

if you don't need the cash why not just sit tight until you're sure without any doubts ?
    FWIW, I switched over to a BCA and a Quilter a few years back when I was ABSOLUTELY sure
    it was the direction for me and I have not had
    a single regret selling off my Mesas.

15. JPH118

JPH118 Member

Yep, this. The others, meh.

16. briwinters

briwinters Member

I’m pretty much at same point as OP.....room full of tube amp that I haven’t powered up in years. At some point this year (probably) I’m going to flip most of them. The only one I know I’ll keep is my Marshall 50th Anniversary JTM-1C.... perfect for home volume, hard to replace if I lost and missed it. Like most here I’d advise the OP keep one tube amp (if he can afford to) and flip the rest.

One thing for sure: don’t think I’ll ever be gigging a tube amp again, at least one that's not part of a backline. My BluesCube Stage and HX Stomp have been the only things I’ve been taking out of the house for a long time now. I’m convinced I can get the job done without tubes so it’s just no longer worth all the stuff that goes along with them.

17. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Member

Sell them. It's not like they are "rare" or anything. If you find you really miss them, you can always find one later.

mbell75, Brooks, stratzrus and 4 others like this.
  18. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

I went through a similar dilemma several years ago. I picked up a Roland Blues Cube artist and I really like the amp. I own several tube amps at the time. A DRRI, Dr.z maz 38 , RT. 66.
    I took the time to compare the tube amps against the blues Cube and made the Judgment using my ears and not my heart. I found that the blues Cube artist could do everything my tube amps could do and even more. Also one of the decision-making factors I had once I had done an outdoor gig In the Heat of the summer or it was 100 degrees. The amps in the back line were in the Sun and we're literally baking. The other guitarist in my band was playing through a Bogner duende and that shut down due to the thermal conditions. The blues Cube operated without a hiccup. Little by little eventually sold off all the tube amps.

bluegrif, Simon and C-4 like this.
  19. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

If you aren’t using it, sell it.

20. jacklickson

jacklickson Silver Supporting Member

I say go for it. I sold all mine (Two-Rock, Matchless, Suhr, Little Walter, Morgan, Carr) and never looked back. Love my KPA. As an added bonus, I don’t even watch amp or pedal demos anymore. As someone who struggles with gear to the point of idolatry, it’s been a huge plus in my life. My FOH loves it because of the predictability of the sound. I plug the XLR in the back and there’s no tone variance from day to day - no static, tube rattles, or any other gremlins that can wreak havoc.

stratzrus likes this.