Thinking of Starting a Small Business

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by AZChilicat, May 6, 2016.

1. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

I've been kicking around the idea of starting my own small business but it's quite confusing. I had no idea all the paperwork involved, writing a business plan, getting insurance...

Has anyone here opened a business? Suggestions?

2. mikesjam

mikesjam Member

3. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

I've looked into it. I was sort of scared off by having to rent commercial space and not being allowed to sublet or share it with someone else in order to get the license I needed. Add to that the surety bond, business license, association dues and mortgage-payment size rent, and I'd need to be making a fat profit from day one in order to not get way in the hole. I still may do it, but I'd have to start it off the books and from my own garage (technically illegal and definitely not cool with the HOA) before I knew if I could swing it as a legitimate, registered business.

morlll likes this.
  4. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Cash flow, it's all about cash flow. Be sure to have enough start up cash. Some businesses fail with the biggest backlog they ever had.

5. Scafeets

Scafeets Silver Supporting Member

Depends on the business, your level of expertise and your finances. Don't do it if your unprepared in any of those areas.

6. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

Can't you get small business loans? Maybe bring in a woman or minority to get special financing?

Rimbaud, Jamalot and EricPeterson like this.
  7. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I am in a band, it has stayed pretty small. :dunno

71strat and AZChilicat like this.
  8. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

To get an SBA loan you will definitely need a business plan. And, well, you'd be taking on debt from day one. There are "consultants" out there who can "lend" their disabled vet, minority, woman, etc. status to your business in order to help.

Jamalot likes this.
  9. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Peteyvee, morlll, A-Bone and 2 others like this.
  10. Blues Power

Blues Power Member

what kind of SB??. can you run it out the house or in the garage until it gets off the ground.??

if you do that you will need to add a rider to your home inn-surance for a home office

how much space to do you need. can you piggy back some desk space in town and split the rents.

do you need vans.??

hiring employees right off the bat??

lefort_1 likes this.
  11. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

I'll need employees but no inventory or vehicles off the bat. Isn't there some fancy thing where they can work for you but not be a real employee?

12. Blues Power

Blues Power Member

yeah its called 1099's or sub contractor. but you still can be liable for any workers comp injuries or any damages they cause while out on the job. if theyre working under your control and direction it came come back and bite you.

derekd likes this.
  13. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

I'm more curious about which thread/post you're taking the piss from than what your small business idea is.

pbmw, Rimbaud, loudboy and 3 others like this.
  14. worxforme

worxforme Supporting Member

I have one I started 30 years ago and now it's a medium to large business, I highly recommend working for your own dream rather than someone else's.

PM me if you'd like any information on starting and more importantly running a small business.

burner, BMX and AZChilicat like this.
  15. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

id be worried about foreigners working in the house or a garage all the time

TwangAddict, pbmw, Rimbaud and 5 others like this.
  16. Slackerprince

Slackerprince Member

Perhaps, take a small business class at the local community college, or at least, read this:

Good luck.

S

AZChilicat likes this.
  17. S1Player

S1Player Member

Your state makes a big difference - especially with respect to reporting and legal requirements. So, in what state are you located?

18. wstsidela

wstsidela I'm bonafied Gold Supporting Member

What kind of business are we talking about?

marktweedy and Peteyvee like this.
  19. 335guy

335guy Member

I had worked as a foreman for a construction company for 10 yrs. I had hit the ceiling in terms of pay, plus, I didn't like some of the things my employer was asking me to do ( lie to customers, provide inferior work/materials, stuff like that ). So I decided to go to work for myself. I had to get a contractor's license, get bonded, get liability insurance, obtain the tools and vehicles needed, line up employees, get setup with an employer ID #, get worker's comp insurance and get setup to pay quarterly taxes. All that stuff was a bit of a PITA, but I got all those things done and in a couple of yrs, was making quite a bit more money than I did working for someone else, and felt better about providing better service and a superior product.

As far as employees vs sub contractors, in my state, there are very strict guidelines to determine who is a sub contractor and who is an employee. Before deciding someone is a sub contractor, be sure to check your state's labor board and employment rules.

I'm retired now, but I had no regrets running my own SB. I chose to run my biz out of my home, which was large enough to do that. But before you decide to do that, check the zoning restrictions with your city. Many will prohibit some businesses from being operated out of a home in residential zoned areas, depends on the business.

lefort_1, clamflatslim and AZChilicat like this.
  20. Blues Power

Blues Power Member

I may be wrong but id bet a dime to a dollar the OP is not a foreign national