Thinking of swapping Dimarzio Areas into my guitar... should I do it?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by yodeloften, Feb 22, 2012.

1. yodeloften

yodeloften Supporting Member

I have a Telstar (made by Gene Baker and Chad Underwood) with a Lollar "Special T" in the bridge and Lollar "Blackface" in the neck and middle positions, wired like a strat with 250K pots. It is my gigging guitar and I LOVE it, but lately I've been playing more places with poor grounding and the noise from the single coils can just get AWFUL. I play Americana/country/roots rock, and many songs have subtlety in them that gets, well, hummed over. Was thinking of putting in a Dimarzio "Area T" and two "Area 67s" to continue to use my favorite guitar...

Question is, will I be pining for that Lollar single coil mojo or will I be basking in noise-free bliss?

2. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Both.

Sorry. The Lollars are amazing; the Dimarzio do not sound as good at when noodling around at home or when really paying attention to the tone. But they are quiet and in a live band setting I'm very happy with them.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  3. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

4. dazco

dazco Member

I had one and tried it in 2 teles. I suppose you can't really take my opinion seriously because i seem to be the lone wolf in this opinion, but i thought it sucked. I never experienced this in any other pickup really, but the wound strings sounded ok while the plain were just tinny, getting worse in a linear fasion as you moved up in pitch. In other words, G string wasn't as bad as the B, tho got worse as you moved up the neck, etc etc. By the time u get to the E string it sounded like a banjo.

To be fair i had a hard time finding tele bridge pickups i liked. In fact, never did find anything i was real happy with and ended up selling my teles as a result. I am however considering another......tele that is, not area ! :D

By the way, a truly killer neck for the tele is the dimarzio twang king. I tried a lot of neck p/u's too, but that one just slayed em all with ease. I'm in good company on that one too, as it's pretty much universally agreed it's a great p/u. The TK bridge p/u however once again sets me apart from the crown ....hated it.

5. bettset

bettset Member

i've tried a few of their humbcukers over the past year......i think dimarzio is making some pretty sweet pickups. i'd say go for it :munch

6. dnauhei

dnauhei Member

I've got an Area T bridge on order so I'll let you know if you can wait that long.

7. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

I'd do it....hum drives me right up the wall

8. BigDar

BigDar Member

I dropped a set of Area T's in a MIM Tele and am quite happy with it.

9. Amplite

Amplite Member

If you LOVE your Lollars, I would try a Hush pedal first. If you have a reverse wound middle pickup you should be noiseless in the 2 and 4 positions.
    I had noiseless pickups for years. When I went back to single coils everything felt and sounded better and was more pedal friendly. I had no idea what I was missing! Having lived and gigged with both I would much rather deal with those noisy gigs by staying in positions 2 and 4 till the song calls for a different tone. Don't think I could ever go back. In fact my backup Strat has Fender Hot Noiseless (great pickups) pups and I still stay with my #1!
    Area's sound pretty good and if you never tried them I can understand your curiosity.
    That was my experience.

10. peterdjp

peterdjp Member

I have the Suhr version of this on my strat. This is the way to go.
    Lollar tone w/ no hum.