Thinking of taking my guitar to Joe Glaser...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rubbersoul, Feb 3, 2012.

1. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

But I'm not a professional, I'm not even a gigging musician, and my guitar is nothing fancy. Do folks like Joe Glaser often work on such projects?

2. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

Glaser and his crew have always been princes to deal with and they've treated me like a king.

And I am nobody special.

rugglesgreen likes this.
  3. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

That's good to hear. I feel fortunate to live near enough to him and my beloved #1 guitar is a '70's era Japanese LP copy badly in need of fretwork.

rugglesgreen likes this.
  4. DonP

DonP Member

I'm sort of the same way. I was thinking of having my CR8's neck shaved.

I work every other week down in LaVergne.

5. doc

doc Member

Joe's a great guy and does expert work. Sometimes turn around is very slow (at least for me) but he takes great care of your instrument just like all the big stars he works with. I'd also recommend Big Joe's Guitarworks as a quality alternative.

6. bizzwriter

bizzwriter Member

In my experience, guys at the level of Joe Glaser are happy to work on anyone's guitars. Your project might get pushed aside for a little bit if one of the pros they service has an urgent need, but you should expect to be welcomed. Paul Reed Smith used to work on my '65 Esquire when he was a guitar tech in Annapolis, as did Danny Gatton when he was at home in Maryland. In fact, Danny happily installed some extra '50s bridge saddles and a switch tip for no charge -- just because he thought my Esquire needed them. Scott Lentz (and now his son) has been my tech for the past 30 or so years. They are both great guys who do amazing work and are open to anyone who can find their shop. I've brought them all sorts of guitars over the years -- from truly great to utter crap -- and they're always happy to work on them.

7. dan7_69

dan7_69 Member

Go to Joe. I'm in my 20s, and a nobody. I've taken 2 parts guitars to Joe to have them assemble, plek, setup, etc. It's taken about 5 days to get my guitar back, but they play fantastic now. It's worth it.

8. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

Thanks so much guys. I've just heard so many good things about him and while my guitar is not an uber expensive guitar...it means everything to me. I want it to play as good as it can.

9. jaxn slim

jaxn slim Member

He's great. I don't think he'd have a problem working on anyone's guitar.

His refrets are kind of pricey, but that Plek machine is something else!

10. dvilla76

dvilla76 Member

Matters not what level of picker you are - you need your guitar working correctly and set up properly suited to your style.

From my personal experience in sending Joe a somewhat challenging project - setting up and Pleking a scalloped neck Floyd Rosed' Charvel-o-Caster. After speaking with a few Plek shops around the country, while they tried to be helpful I quickly realized they knew not of which they spoke. After some research I was led to Joe Glaser's shop.

Joe immediately told me how he would accomplish my task as if he'd done it a hundred times. After my asking, Joe shared his Plek background and history with me in a very unassuming manner

Joe and his crew did an excellent job and I wouldn't hesitate recommending him for any type of set up, repair or overhaul.

Also in case you didn't know and from what I understand Joe is known as THE Godfather of Plek, :aok - :bow having taught many; if not most of who now claim to be the Plek experts out there today.

I'm positive Joe Glaser will be happy to help you.

11. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

You speaketh the truth...

and if you absolutely have to have the guitar back by a certain date - tell him.