Thinning out a neck finish?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by marcusbrody, Mar 13, 2006.

1. marcusbrody

marcusbrody Member

I have a Fender 57 American reissue that plays great, but I'd really like the neck to feel more satiny in its finish. Is there a safe way of doing this that doesn't take too much expertise? Thanks.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

You can hit it with some steel wool. This would give it a matte kind of feel. The problem is that after so much playing, you'll end up with a gloss surface from the friction of your hand, necessitating the steel-wooling again. The correct way to get a satin finished neck is to spray satin lacquer. This has flattening agent in it which does not rub smooth in time.

3. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

i have good results with a extremely fine grit sandpaper...walmart has these sandpaper sponges...work great.

4. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

Try some 3M sanding pads.No pieces of wool floating around.Or some aluminum oxide sandpaper in a 320 grit.

5. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

320' grit is way to coarse in my mind. Try 1500' grit or finer!

People swear by micromesh, but I have never tried it.

6. justicetones

justicetones Member

I use a wet/dry sandpaper I think 1500 grit. I use it DRY....... :D

7. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

i hate finished on guitar necks. i like the unfinished feel so much better. here's what i did:

sand the finish down on your neck. feel free to use a heavier light grit. 300, 350, 400. sand it down, and sand it good!. keep sanding. is the finish gone? ok, now sand with a finer grit (i used 450, but the higher the better. 600, 700, 1000). you don't want to go TOO-too fine, but it's hard to. after it's very very very smooth, here's what i do: get some 0000 steel wool, and put some lemon oil on it. it will oil your neck and smooth out final abbrasions at the same time. once finished, wipe dry with a cloth and let sit for about 20 mins, then repeat the steel wool stuff. after a wipe and another 20 min rest, it will be uber smooth and smell good, too!

after that you should polish your neck with steel wool and lemon oil every 6 months or so.

8. illinimax

illinimax Gold Supporting Member

I've tried it all, and Micro-Mesh is the easiest and best stuff for this job. They sell it at Rockler, just a few sheets of the 1,500 and 2,400 grade will do the trick.

9. briangibson

briangibson Member

i was gonna do this to my sg, but i didnt like the tone of it either, so i just decided to toss it to the sharks on the bay.

10. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I used the green pot cleaning pads. There flat and in a rectangle shape. The problem is this, with my Jap strat the finish came off very quickly and evenly but with my re-issue tele I was sanding forever. If your strat is newer you will probably be sanding forever because they are not pure nitro no matter what Fender might say. Keep even pressure on the surface and sand just like you would when your doing something else and everything will work out just fine.;)