Thinning the herd? ...or not??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by edward, May 8, 2008.

1. edward

edward Supporting Member

OK, as a sort of alternate thread, I am just curious as to who has ever made the conscious decision that they had "too much" gear? That you decided to "simplify" (or whatever the motive) and get back to brass-tacks and play with fewer guitars/amps/whatever.

I made that decision years ago with the pedals/effects craze. I sold those off and pared down to one amp+cable+guitar. Now my pendelum has moved to a few specific amps for distinctly different tonal flavors, and somewhat "stripped" sound devoid of effects (for the most part, indulging in a tad of delay and verb on occasion).

YET, now I find myself back in the upswing, wanting more guitars (but at least not more amps ;) ). I have the "basics" covered: Strat, Tele, LP, steel string, and nylon. And yes, all get played regularly. So I am fine, right? So why the heck am I still wanting the LP Vint Mahog? Why did I get another Strat as a project axe? Why does a bound Tele eat at me everytime I see one? And I gotta have one semi hollow, right? Wait, need a 12-string acoustic!! Are there any others thus afflicted? I need help...
    :horse

Edward

2. 67super

67super Supporting Member

I decidid years ago not to sell any "quality gear" unless there was a compelling reason. I think I made a wise decision. Quality gear goes up in value all the time as the dollar goes down. For example I purchased a new 90 ES335 in 1991 for $1100. Today, even adjusted for inflation, that guitar would cost me quite a bit more. I'm not suggesting guitars are the best investment but once you sell a good one, getting it back years later will cost you.

3. dave s

dave s Member

others may have heard this story before, but here goes:

Most of my playing is during gigs and a random rehearsal here and there. Loading up for a gig I'm picking my out my #1 and a backup and realized I'm flipping through over a dozen cases to find a strat and my Ric 330 to take to a gig.

It hit me. As a gigging guitarist, I need exactly TWO guitars--a #1 and a reliable backup. I'm not going take or play any more than two anyway! Long story short, I sold off all the guitars that hadn't seen the light of day or, let alone, any stage time in years.

Sold 'em all off and used the proceeds to buy two of the best guitars I could afford. From that point forward, (about 10 years now) I've tried to keep to the 'two guitar' rule.

My current gig also has me playing a Ric 360/12 (band-owned) and another VOX Tear Drop guitar (band owned as well) so I can be 'authentic' to the hippie 60s show. But other than that, I own two strats and an acoustic-electric that are mine.

I've been good about sticking to the rules!! :BEER

dave

4. atomicmassunit

atomicmassunit Member

I cut down to only the most played guitars this year. I sold some amazing instruments to pay off our debts. It was actually quite liberating in many ways.

5. greuvin

greuvin Member

Yes, I am also "thus afflicted". I've been buying axes like crazy lately. The prices are waaaaay low and its a GREAT time to stock up!!!!

:AOK:AOK

I'm pretty active in buying and selling, so this comes from recent experience. The sad truth is the international buyers are getting all the cool stuff because their currency is so strong. Great axes are leaving the USA at an alarming rate! Wake up, people!!! If this keeps up, you will only have that lovely Edwards copy where a great vintage Gibson or Fender once was. That's just sad. Talk about kicking yourself in a few years.

6. strat6866

strat6866 Member

I go through periods where i sell off guitars that are out of favor only to start buying again when i find some good deals (or when gas strikes again).
    For the most part i think i have everything i'll ever want now..........yeah right.
    Staying out of the emporium def helps though.

7. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I have alot of guitars and are players vs collectors, however I keep thinking of thinning the herd and keeping choice pieces or only buy ones I'll play, a few are collecting dust. I'd worry about sellers remorse. I sold some great vintage guitars in the past I should have kept and never sold.

8. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I am trying to sell most of my stuff, but I seem to end up trading for even more gear!:jo

9. Bhodie

Bhodie Member

Funny.. I posted a thread almost identical to this on the TPDRI forum.. I decided on quality, not quantity.. and not much quantity at that.. and to try and cover a sonic spectrum (ie. dont need 3 strats no matter how cool, or "slightly.. or even not so slightly different they may be tonally)

1. CS 69 Strat
    2. PRS Sprucetop Hollowbody with Piezo
    3. CS 51 Nocaster Relic

1 good amp (tophat) that I am convinced had I bought the expensive amp FIRST!!! i would have some of the old gear I sold.. and is a lesson I would suggest to anyone starting out buying guitars.. get the best amp first!!!

few pedals.. and DONE!!!

10. RockDC

RockDC Member

About 7 years ago I owned:
    Black PRS, Red PRS, Parker P38, Fender Am Strat, Fender Am Tele, Fender Mandolin, Fender Acoustic, and a Ernie Ball Axis Sport. Some fx, and a Princeton Chorus solid state amp.

Now I have everything in the signature plus the fender acoustic and mandolin. More gear... but at least most of it is quality. When I stop using I'll sell some... but I can't wait to add... but only quality from here on out.

11. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

I'm constantly thinning the heard, then building it back up. It's kinda like the garage or the attic - stuff accumulates over time.

12. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Sold some gear a few years ago, SG, LP, Tele and a Marshall amp, in a way I regret it, however they were really getting in the way of me getting better gear, so I feel like I came out a head.

13. edward

edward Supporting Member

Cool reflections, guys!

I know that I should spend more time in the woodshed; or even better, more time with some of the guys banging out more music. These things I know. But there is something so intangibly "cool" about having another guitar that is, oh, just a bit different from what you already have. I know, it sounds a bit trite or superficial. Having more guitars certainly says NOTHING about how well (or lack thereof) I play; in fact, perhaps it is an indictment on me: that if I have more, I SHOULD be a better player than I am. Perhaps, then, I am heaping coals upon my head by desiring/getting yet another axe. Still, it is just, for lack of a better term, "fun" to have another guitar ...one that I actually like, that is.

Keep it coming, guys. You expanding or thinning the herd?

Edward

14. XKnight

XKnight Member

"I buy, I sell, I trade." That is my motto.

It's an addiction in many ways, but I enjoy it and most importantly I can afford it and it's not illegal.

15. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

I had 14 electrics ( 7 were Strat types ) about a year ago and sold off all except for my G&L Comanche and my CU22 . Now I have done an about face and have repurchased a Heritage 535 I had ( stupidly) sold plus I purchased a Grosh Strat and a Baker Tele-Bird ( Phoenix XT ) both slightly used . I've done this before in part because it gets to the point where a lot of the gear is sitting unused because I don't bond with it and I also sell off to buy other guitars to try and find a magical piece that's special . Of course buying used is the best way so you don't lose to much $$ and sometimes get lucky and at least break even .
    I also had 7 amps and have sold 5 of them keeping a Rambler and a Slant 6V which seems all I need .
    Always fun trying new stuff :BEER

16. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I've done it so far with pedals. I just got tired of carrying a board with pedals that I might use once a night, and since I don't get all wound up about playing covers and having them sound exactly like the originals, I cut back. I ditched a PT2 and replaced it with a PT Jr. I currently have no, none, not one overdrive, distortion or fuzz on my board. I use a Barber Tone Press as both a compressor and a boost, 2 delays and a chorus, and a Barber Launch Pad for a last in line buffer.
    I also use only 1 amp, a Victoria Regal II. Because it has tube swapping capability without having to bias, it easily gives me what I want in any size room without destroying anyone's ears. As a bonus it has a sweet tremolo and a great reverb.
    If I really had to ditch all but one guitar, I'd keep my Heritage Prospect loaded with Fralin P-92s.

Happiness for me is simplicity.

17. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

Well said.

I have more gear than I need. But I hope I never sell any of it. There are times when every piece of gear I have is just the right thing for me to be playing.

One good acoustic 12 string
    One good acoustic 6 string
    Two good nylon strings -- one clasical; one flamenco
    Two Strats
    Two Nocasters
    One Gary Moore LP.

I don't need two Nocasters, but I got em' for a song. They stay.
    The Taylor 6 string I find has a neck that's too thin in my book after all these years. But I still love the guitar and it stays. The martin 12 string is unusual and was my first guitar purchase. It's worth double what I paid for it 18 years ago. And is mint. The nylon string guitars my Dad gave me and are most valuable to me. The MIM 1992 Strat was my first electric. It stays for sentimental reasons and feels good in my hands as a practice guitar. The other Strat is a 2006 American Deluxe. It stays. The GM LP is a great LP guitar and very much fun to play. I might add a vintage strat someday and some sort of Gibson style semi hollow. But I sure am pretty happy with what I got.

18. oscar100

oscar100 Member

all i want is one great axe ineach genre i like

bt then another one comes along - what can you do? :(

19. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

If I am not 100% in love with a particular guitar I sell it and don't look back. As a result I have fewer guitars than I used too, but each one gets lots of play time.

20. Telecaster62

Telecaster62 Member

edward, lie down and it will pass. I did the same thing as you a couple of years ago and it was the best thing I ever did. I find myself much more "connected" to the remaining gear and even though I jones for new stuff occasionally, I have a rule that I must wait a month before purchasing. As a result, 95% of the time the desire passes and I realize how good my current situation is. By thinnning the herd and really analyzing what I need in gear, I'm much better able to gauge the exact piece that will make it happen. I spend less in the long run and hit the target more often than not.