Thirty One years ago today....

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by SteveGaines, Oct 20, 2008.

1. SteveGaines

SteveGaines Member

Street Survivors had been out for 4 days...When the Skynyrd plane crashed in a swamp in Gillsburg, Mississippi killing the two pilots...Ronnie Van Zant, Cassie Gaines, Road Manager Dean Kilpatrick and my hero STEVE GAINES...Steve was a guitar playing/songwriting/singing fool in the words of Ronnie Van Zant...You can hear his INFLUENCE ALL OVER STREET SURVIVORS...It was definitely Steve's coming out party....I still listen to it today and Steve's guitar playing is still JAW DROPPING...Whether playing Strat or the Black Les Paul...Slide or Vocals...Steve Gaines was one of the most underated performers in the history of Rock and Roll....RIP "OKIE"...You were THE MAN!...Check out Steve's vocals at Soundcheck on "THAT SMELL...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9c12NkfrEA&feature=related

2. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Doesn't seem that long ago.

3. sonhenry

sonhenry Member

wow, is it really that long? I remember *exactly* where I was when I heard this on the radio. damn. what a fine guitar player he was....

4. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Wow... I was in school in the Navy when I got this news.

5. tcforec

tcforec Member

You know what...you're GD right...every word. How he wasn't a star even before Skynyrd is a mystery to me. Just the man. I have watched videos of people teaching "I know a little" and they still don't sound right...and I sure as he$% can't figure it out. RIP....the man...and Ronnie (the man's man) and all of the rest.

They are still the only band that, prior to the crash, never wrote a song I couldn't at least like...Not a bad one in the bunch.

6. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

A very sad day.

We lost some true legends!

7. SteveGaines

SteveGaines Member

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=245154518 They have out a TAB book by Dave Rubin with the Skynyrd hits that has a CD...the guy does it SLOW and FAST...AND HE NAILS IT!....The cats name is Doug Boduch...he NAILS IT... I also have a DVD of Curt Mitchell showing how to do the intro...He does it with his pick and his index and middle finger...sort of a banjo roll thing...He NAILS it too!....

8. louderock

louderock Member

Ronnie always thought that he would die before age 30 and he said he was gonna 'go out with his boots on'. In other words, on the road. He was right about both. Huge loss on that day.

9. fretfreak76

fretfreak76 Member

Hey man!Thanks so much for posting this & remembering a great fellow player!RIP Boys RIP.

10. m1911

m1911 Member

My favorite member was Steve Gaines also.....along with sweet singing sister Cassie.....sure do miss them....
    I'll bet Steve would be tearing it up if he was around today, RIP

11. VintageKnob

VintageKnob Supporting Member

12. tommyg

tommyg Member

Listen to Poison's CC Deville on "Unskinny Bop"!:rotflmao

13. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

The guitar world really got cheated by not having him around a little longer.

14. Slyib

Slyib Member

In the shadow of the Space Needle (Seattle, WA)
    If there's a rock 'n roll heaven...

- Brett