This amp KILLS!!

telewacker

Interesting...mine is blues grind personified. That elusive blend of sweetness and nastiness that responds to right hand technique in an almost uncanny fasion. Definitely grinds more than my Deluxe, but smoother too. Absolutely no need for a pedal to push the front end.

JDW3

I picked up a '66 ReverberRocket and retubed it and installed a Weber Silver Bell. It's one of the best amps I have, recording or live. Perfect for blues gigs; I run the volume about on 10, treble on 9 and bass about 5. Gibson P-90s sound killer through it.

57special

Silver Supporting Member
Fav Ampegs (i've had a few.... aw..... let's face it, i've had em all);

-V2's and VT 40 from the 70's , both with and w/o MV, but before the distortion knob
- RR2's .... still have my 66, which is a beast... it's a legendary amp in my very small circle. Used to belonbg to an old montreal jazz guy, Nelson symonds, who bought it new. This amp will never leave me.
- All blue check Geminis, especially the Gemini 1 ,which is a bit less raspy sounding. There are 3 different versions of cabinets, which makes a difference in tone
- The late 60's early 70's G20, a 2 x10 combo made for only a little while.
- SVT, of course. Everyone needs to plug into one, it brings you a little closer to understanding omnipotence.
- Just about every portaflex ever invented. Currently have a little SB 12.... really loved my B15S years ago.
- Echo twins
- forget the m12's, get into the 50's ampegs! Thick chocolatey distortion completely different from a Fenders.
- 50's Bassamps. Kills with guitars. If it worked for Fender...
- 70's 4x12 bottoms
-70's 2x12 " (rare). Very small, all ply, and sound great!

on my to try list..
- late 60's copper panel ampegs
- early 90's VL series.

this things are just too cheap, and too plentiful!

JakeELee

Originally posted by CliffC
There is no doubt that the Ampegs from the '60's & 70's were
great amps. These amps can be bought today for 300 to 700
dollars depending on the model, condition etc....

I hope the prices stay this reasonable. In fact I'm leaving shortly
to take a 1/2 hour drive where I'll be picking up a VT40 for
$450.00.

See what you have done to me!!!!!
Eat your wheaties before you go, cuz those monsters are HEAVY. Totally worth it though...great amps. I love mine, welcome to the club. :cool:

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Platinum Supporting Member
Ah yes, the VT40 was my very first amp. It was very heavy indeed. But that didn't stop some bastard from stealing it after I had it for about 8 months. :(

[subliminal suggestion]BTW, it was a horrid godawful excuse for an amp. I'm sure you will be very, very disappointed and will not rave about it here or anywhere's else on the Internet. You will hate it. Shhhhhhhh.....[/subliminal suggestion]

57special

Silver Supporting Member
Originally posted by 57special
Fav Ampegs (i've had a few.... aw..... let's face it, i've had em all);

-V2's and VT 40 from the 70's , both with and w/o MV, but before the distortion knob
- RR2's .... still have my 66, which is a beast... it's a legendary amp in my very small circle. Used to belonbg to an old montreal jazz guy, Nelson symonds, who bought it new. This amp will never leave me.
- All blue check Geminis, especially the Gemini 1 ,which is a bit less raspy sounding. There are 3 different versions of cabinets, which makes a difference in tone
- The late 60's early 70's G20, a 2 x10 combo made for only a little while.
- SVT, of course. Everyone needs to plug into one, it brings you a little closer to understanding omnipotence.
- Just about every portaflex ever invented. Currently have a little SB 12.... really loved my B15S years ago.
- Echo twins
- forget the m12's, get into the 50's ampegs! Thick chocolatey distortion completely different from a Fenders.
- 50's Bassamps. Kills with guitars. If it worked for Fender...
- 70's 4x12 bottoms
-70's 2x12 " (rare). Very small, all ply, and sound great!

on my to try list..
- late 60's copper panel ampegs
- early 90's VL series.

this things are just too cheap, and too plentiful!
Actually, now that i think on it, they are really not all that good, for some reason the thought has just come to me that they are a horrid godawful excuse for an amp. They were a great disappointment in many cases, and i think i hated them (why am i saying this)?
Anyway , this is the last time i ever talk about Ampegs on any internet chat forum, ever , again.... this is so strange, it doesn't even feel like it's me talking, it's more like something or someone has taken control of my brain...

grantster

I have a late 50's M-12 Mercury. Great little amp! Is this the amp that Peter Frampton likes, or was it a Gemini?

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
It was neither. Frampton is a long-time Ampeg hater. And understandably, I might add.

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
Harp players love the Mercury. It's right up there with the Tweed Deluxe in sound, and most players have never even seen one. The Mercury is as different from the later reverb Ampeg models as the tweed deluxe is to later blackface Fenders.

If I had the bucks, I'd own the Mercury, the Gemini I and II, plus a RR2.

57special

Silver Supporting Member
Originally posted by Leonc
It was neither. Frampton is a long-time Ampeg hater. And understandably, I might add.
I think he hated the Super Echo Twin

hasserl

I'm sure it's a great sounding amp, but it's not really comparable to a DR except maybe in size / power. It's probably closer to a PR in design w/ the cathodyne PI, but the baxandall tone stacks used are quite different than any Fender. And it's probably the strong mids from the bax combined with the grind from the cathodyne PI that you're digging so much. Probably more tweedish sounding than your DR.

I recently worked on an old Ampeg R15R Super Reverb for a friend, that is a great sounding amp also.

telewacker

The point was not that it was a Deluxe clone. The point was that it was more satisfying to play with a smoother OD and a perfect voicing for my Tele, even though the Tele-Deluxe combination is sort of a benchmark. I hear tweed in there. I like tweed.

Lavely

Gold Supporting Member
Alright, I'm interested! Sounds like the models to try are:

Gemini I or II
Mercury
Reverberocket

Aren't the V4s that the Stones used ungodly loud?

Any to stay away from?

Lavely

congrats, TW. Geminis are on my list, for sure. love my '61 Reverberocket.

my '61 was a little on the weak side, so i had Evan Aurand do his thing on it. made a great practice & recording amp. then since the orig. Jensen was a little on the clapped-out side, i pulled it & put in an Emi Private Jack (think Greenback on steroids) and it's been one of my gigging amps ever since.
:AOK

:cool:

57special

Silver Supporting Member
the RR2's (SS state recto) are a bit louder and brighter than the original RR's. Both amps benefit from a bright, clear , aggressive sounding speaker, IMO, rather than the stock , small magnet jensens(and i love jensens). I stuck an EVM on one side of an Echo Twin, and a V30 on the other (they are basically two amps in one box that can turned on singly or ganged together) and it really added punch and clarity to a somewhat murky sounding amp.

V4's are crazy loud, and a totally different type of amp from the blue check series. Even the V2's are really strong sounding, sorta similiar to the old Park 75 watt amps in volume.

well, not only that, but i was told the original Jensen Concert or whatever in my '61 is really only a 12w speaker. but it's in a 15w+ amp that gets cranked a lot. and reaches peak well before it's pegged. so another reason to go w/the Emi (50-75w speakers)

:cool:

mothyham

I have an ampeg g-20 the one they only made for a few years...
the speakers are kinda wonky and I was thinking of replacing them,...any suggestions?

57special

Silver Supporting Member
Celestion V10's, or Weber C10V's . I find a high wattage Celestion type speaker to be a perfect (and inexpensive) compliment to the 70's Amnpeg sound. One of THE all time great power tube crunch sounds, right up there with Hiwatt, marshall , etc. The only G20 i've ever played sounded great!

Garygtr

Almost as good!
Gold Supporting Member
Originally posted by Leonc
Hmm...I thought the Ampeg Jet was his fave, thought I read somewhere that he still uses that a lot...Tonequest, maybe? Also, I believe Mike Campbell has done a lot of recording with an Ampeg, also a Jet I think.

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Originally posted by Garygtr
Hmm...I thought the Ampeg Jet was his fave, thought I read somewhere that he still uses that a lot...Tonequest, maybe? Also, I believe Mike Campbell has done a lot of recording with an Ampeg, also a Jet I think.
Shhhhhh....Ix-nay on all this Am-pay-eg-nay discussion, okay!!!???

some of us would like to see the prices stay down here in the troposphere (as in, less than 500 bux). Shhhhhhh!

Trending Topics