• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

This amp KILLS!!

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
Sort of a late update to the Ampeg thread:

There's a local blues jam here where the guy who runs it brings 3 of his really cool amps along. He plays harp through an old Danelectro cloverleaf-cutout front, has an early 60's epiphone and a reverborocket for guitar players. All the other guit players love the Epi, as it wails. Me, I cannot get enough of the RR. Great slide amp with a tele. The reverb kills. The sound has an edge, sits dead center in the mix and can be heard out of proportion to the volume available. If you play this amp alone in your living room, it might sound a little thin and sharp. On stage, very different story. Roll off the treble a bit and it sustains so nicely. Gotta get me an Ampeg.

telewacker

Funny that your reply shows up now as my second Gemini I will be delivered via FedEx today. For those gigs where one simply ain't enough!!

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
telewacker: I love old ampegs, but am not too sure of which one would be right for me. The Gemini I is such a great sounding amp. Will it be loud enough? The Gemini II through VI make me real curious, but I'll bet they're heavier than hell for the watts. I'd love to try an Echo Twin, but where can you find them?

The RR works really well, but I think it'd be a little quiet for many of the jams I play. Would the Gemini I be louder?

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Platinum Supporting Member
I think any of the stock Geminis will be a little louder than any of the stock Reverb-e-Rockets. But not necessarily a lot louder. It's really too bad if you need more volume than that. But if you do...look for a VT22 (V4 in a 2x12 format) :).

telewacker

MD, There's an Echo Twin and a Gem I on ebay now.

I don't have any hands on experience with the other models. A bro who I trust says the Gem I is better than the RR and he has both.

I know the Gem II is a fixed, rather than cathode, biased design with more output and a larger OT. I would imagine part of what I like about the Gem I is the grind and compression from the cathode biasing and dinky OT.

It's important to upgrade the speaker with something more efficient than the original. I have a ceramic Blue Dog in mine but I'm going to try my current fav speaker, the Guytron Big Tone, in the new one. That goes a long way to making it appropriately loud for most smaller gigs, but there is not a lot of clean headroom, obviously. That's why I got two.

A Gem I with an efficient speaker would be louder than a RR with the stock speaker, I would imagine, and should be loud enough for the typical blues bar band.

I would recommend the Gem I personally, but not having owned the others I can't say for sure I wouldn't like them better. However my gut feeling is that the Gem I is the model that gets it right.

Here are two Ampegs on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7361998620&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7363624320&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

enharmonic

Old Growth
Platinum Supporting Member
All amps kill if you get ahold of a cap that hasn't been properly discharged.

Always leave service to a qualified tech, especially if you don't know what you're doing...and often even when you have a pretty good idea.

:dude

goodtone

I have a Gemini II. When I was a kid my friend's band had a guitar player that played a Gemini II with a Fender Mustang and a Mosrite Fuzz. Great amp for blues, rock and cool Creedence tones. I think the reverb tones on some Ampegs are the best. Wish they'd reissue a separate reverb unit ala echo satellite model.

telewacker

Yeah the verb is one of the best, but I often turn it off. The amp sounds killer dry, and that's a testament to the depth and richness of the amps basic tone.

57special

Silver Supporting Member
Echo Twins are cool, but sound quieter than their wattage rating (30-35 watts), and tend to have microphonic pronblems with their 6sL7's when turned up. Reverb also gets a bit swampy when turned up. They are getting quite expensive, also.
Gemini I's are wonderful, underpriced amps, IMO. A bit louder than a RR2, with enough snarl to play blues, enough mellow to do ANY jazz gig, and the 12" speaker seems to cut better than the 15" speaker on the Gemini II's, V's, and VI's. The latter are also great amps, with a more dispersed sound than the Gemini I's.
I play a souped up RR2. Even before being tweaked, it was unusually loud and gainy. After trying all sorts of speakers, i ended up with a mid 60's Jensen Vibranto (a C12n, basically), as a beautiful sound when mated with my old strat, but if you want a bit more effiency and punch, a Celestion sounds great (I would imagine a Scumback 30 watt 75 HZ speaker would sound good). The stock Jensen speakers that come with the Ampegs sound terrific, but aren't that efficient, and fart out when volume is turned up. Great for home playing and recording , perhaps. Some Ampegs came stock with alnico JBL's. I'm not a fan of them, but many people are. It will take your amp to a different level of loudness and clarity. I used to pair an EV with a Vintage 30 in one of my Echo Twins. Great sound!

telewacker

The Gem1 I just got (my second) is VERY clean with original tubes, speaker (C12Q) and like 57 special says it sounds gorgeous with a clear, rich, bell-like tone at low volume, but the speaker folds up when you crank the amp. My other Gem1 has a ceramic Blue Dog and cranked it delivers a tremendous blues tone. I'm going to do a speaker shootout this week on the new amp...Blue Dog, 2 very different P12Ns, Black Back, and my favorite speaker to date (though I haven't tried it with an Ampeg), the Guytron 50 watt Big Tone.

I have a Bray modded 1959 100watt Plexi coming Wed. so it's a great week!

57special

Silver Supporting Member
I liked a 60's C12N better than 50's p12N's, Blues, other ceramic Celestions, and an EV type speaker. An healthy P12Q sounded very good also, and would've been my second choice.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom