This AMPLiFi statement is interesting, and yet...

Prosvetlen

Ever wondered how your favorite guitar player got that incredible tone? Innovative Line 6 tone-matching technology takes the work out of dialing in the perfect tone. Select any song in your music library, and AMPLIFi automatically provides matching tone selections via the cloud. Experience the world’s most legendary guitar tones—at the ready.
Now, how about that: I play through the AMPLIFi a random song and tell the amp to find me those available frequencies so my solo/rhythm on top of the played song will "sit well" in the already produced mix. Wouldn't that be something!!! Dreams...

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member
Thank goodness for this. Listening with your ears and experimenting with tones are two of the worst things a guitar player can do. This way it’s done for you and your cat or dog can no longer accuse you of having inappropriate tone for the songs to which you are jamming. Kudos!

Prosvetlen

Or even better: the whole band/symphony orchestra plugs in and you've got all the simulators/preamps/poweramps/mic preamps, etc. there; so everyone is in and you push a button and say--I want the sound of Karajan from 28 October 1947 mixed with the sound of my 5 player rock band, and the incredible machine simulates/mixes/finds perfect frequency for each instrument and places them in the mix, and the sound goes out in 24/96. How's that?!?

mikah912

Here's the thing: This entire feature rests on confidence in Line 6 factory and user presets on CustomTone.

Has anyone here really had significant tone problems solved by CustomTone?

MaxTwang

Line 6 had a huge preset library with GuitarPort online, maybe all that isn't going to waste. Too bad we can't get the charts and backing tracks that were on GuitarPort, they had some good stuff.

phil_m

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Gold Supporting Member
"Significant Tone Problems" - love that phrase. Should be a new sub-forum here. :idea

LqdSndDist

Say goodbye to Kemper's profiling technology, and the Axe FX "tone match" feature might as well not bother showing up

The baton has been passed.....

marshall2288

Here's the thing: This entire feature rests on confidence in Line 6 factory and user presets on CustomTone.

+1. I've been screaming this from the rooftops since this was announced. I have never Never NEVER (ever) downloaded a CustomTone and it be good. Just go and pick an Ac/Dc tone on there right now and you'll see what I mean.

MKB

Silver Supporting Member
So Line 6 is depending on free user input to create a feature to sell a product. A user does a lot of work to create a preset, uploads it for others to download on CustomTone, and Line 6 uses it to sell a new product. The line between paying a developer to create presets and using a customer's for free is getting mighty thin here. I'm not saying this is wrong, but does anyone else smell a class action lawsuit?

That being said, I have had a few CustomTone presets be very helpful to find certain tones. Also it is cool to want to play in a player's style, and plug up your Line 6 rig and go searching for those tones in CustomTone.

Are there really a lot of current or recently submitted tones for the XT series in CustomTone? That technology has been obsolete for 3-4 years or longer in Line 6's product line. And with the users Line 6 is targeting with the Amplifi, will they be contributing tones to CustomTone? In a way this seems like Dell releasing a new computer with Windows 95, and they brag about all the apps you can run with it, when in fact the software development stopped years ago. You are stuck with the older apps.

partytrain

So Line 6 is depending on free user input to create a feature to sell a product. A user does a lot of work to create a preset, uploads it for others to download on CustomTone, and Line 6 uses it to sell a new product. The line between paying a developer to create presets and using a customer's for free is getting mighty thin here. I'm not saying this is wrong, but does anyone else smell a class action lawsuit?
Ever heard of a kemper. People aren't complaining about them relying on their community to create presets (profiles). Let's not get too ridiculous.

phil_m

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Gold Supporting Member
Not much different than what they've been doing for years with CustomTone, is it? I don't believe you have to submit your tones if you don't want to, either. But user-generated content is nothing new when it comes to cloud-based services, either. Spotify, for instance, let's users share playlists with each other.

Digital Igloo

The workflow is very different than CustomTone:

Play any song from your iTunes library. Within two seconds, you're automatically playing the most popular guitar tone for that particular song. If it's an obscure song, the app uses its metadata to find something appropriate (from the band name, genre, etc.). If anyone in the world creates a tone for that obscure song and touches PUBLISH, you'll have it the next time you play the song (even five seconds after they publish it).

If you don't care about jamming along with your library or sharing your tones, the iOS device will store as many as you like.

You don't have to be stuck in the basement or practice studio, either. Just stream your iTunes library all day while you work, browse the web, etc. If you hear a song that inspires you, pick up a guitar and you're playing with the song using the tone of that song. If the next song inspires you less, put down the guitar and go back to what you were doing.

The problem is that it's really hard to get work done with Amplifi in my living room. But at least my chops are getting better! :rockin

Johnny2013

How are people liking this after a couple more weeks? Anyone else get it? I'm really glad so many companies are hitting the living room amp thing so hard these days, and most of the time I play I'm on my couch etc so I can also talk to and be with my family while playing and not be alone in my basement with my tube amps. My new Yamaha THR10C is great for this, but I'm still curious. The fact that the Amplifi can double as a wireless music player is pretty cool.