• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

This Axe was Ocean Once

This is a print by an artist named Michael Garfield (a pretty cool guy - check out his site: http://michaelgarfield.blogspot.com/ )

The title of the painting is "This was all Ocean, Once". I asked his permission to have my wife use it as the basis for a guitar body and this is the result:

Basswood body, Padouk neck with ebony board, Harmonic Design pickups, Hipshot trem and tuners.

Yes, my mid-life tendencies are toward psychodelics rather than sports cars. It is an awesome player with a broad pallette of tones. And my wife thanks you for the complement, but Garfield deserves credit for the image.

59Vampire

Platinum Supporting Member
Lots of cool here. Cool art. Cool guitar. Cool respect to ask if you can use the guys work.

He's a great guy and loves the result. He does some pretty great stuff with an acoustic and a looper and multiple effects. "Different" is a good way to describe what MG brings to the table.

chrisjane

Both of those guitars are amazing!

How do you protect the paint/ensure the art will last, and still play the thing?

Thanks, guys. There is a clearcoat - I started with U-Pol, a catalyzed polyurethane. A few coats of that, and then I decided it was too glossy so I just used a rattle can of Minwax satin poly over the U-Pol.

Thanks, guys. There is a clearcoat - I started with U-Pol, a catalyzed polyurethane. A few coats of that, and then I decided it was too glossy so I just used a rattle can of Minwax satin poly over the U-Pol.
Thanks for clarifying- that would explain why it doesn't have that "poly-shine" lol

Trending Topics