This COVID 19 Downtime has made me realize something....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by datguytim, Mar 28, 2020.

1. datguytim

datguytim Member

I dug out some old analog pedals (more than pictured), ran it between my Gibson LP Goldtop & a Class A 1 knob Champ/Harvard clone and OMG!!!!! It sounds WAY better than my touring board (w/Digital FX)!!!!!! I always knew this, but forgot about it - til today! Add my old Jen Italian Wah to the mix & it's pure heaven!!! Old analog pedals smoke the modern digital ones. Anyone else feel the same?

2. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

Yes- to a degree. My favourite pedals always seem to be the analog ones. Most of the digital stuff I have is a bit more utilitarian.

3. moore_for_less

moore_for_less Member

Home, home again… I like to be here when I can…
    Most analog pedals will sound better than digital pedals when the the digital pedal is trying to recreate the specific sound of the original analog pedal.

Doesn’t mean digital is bad, the same thing happens if you try to recreate an old analog pedal with modern analog components, it still won’t sound the same most of the time.

Digital’s strength is in having very close approximations of all those classic/old/expensive/easily-broken/extinct tones from years and decades past.

4. Sparadrap

Sparadrap Member

Right... and analog pedals sometimes approximate sounds found in nature or buildings.
    For example: reverb is an effect one can find in nature/buildings, that some guys recreated by using springs, then some other guys approximated spring reverb by using chips.

The-Kid likes this.
  5. JackVanPage

JackVanPage Member

What digital effects are you comparing them to?

JasonElGato, ESW., Vhailor and 3 others like this.
  6. BluesBUSTER

BluesBUSTER Member

Digital gear can be good enough but analog gear rocks. It's the same old argument that has been analyzed to death in regards to vinyl vs CD's vs mp3's and so on. Maybe next generation digital technology will bring the feel that's still missing, I'm pretty optimistic that someday we'll get the tone & feel of a full stack JCM800 using an iPod device. Until then I'll keep all my analog gear around.

Abram4235 likes this.
  7. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

Not all digital effects mimic analog ones.

The strength of digital pedals imo is in offering sounds that analog pedals can’t offer or where it isn't as practical like looping, sampling, granular sounds, reverse, infinite sustain (freeze), bit crushing etc...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  8. Chandyland

Chandyland Member

Yes, this is why I only use tape machines for looping and recording. In 2020. o_O

Also hasn't anyone told you BBDs aren't technically analog?

This thread is just a major :facepalm

9. DisasterArea

DisasterArea Owner, Disaster Area Designs and Alexander Pedals

And in creating things that can't be done with analogue.

10. TheoDog

TheoDog Member

I’m sure that analog tuner is the real secret :bonk

11. datguytim

datguytim Member

I'm comparing to ALL digital effects, from early ones to Eventide, Strymon, etc. While my Eventide Factor pedals get a myriad of useable & flexible sounds (as well as banks & programs for my live sets), I've yet to hear in my 50 plus years of life ANY digital 'simulation' capture the BLANKET - LIKE WARMTH and DIMENSION of a good analog pedal or tape echo.

speedyone and JackVanPage like this.
  12. datguytim

datguytim Member

Actually, it acts as a line driver for the effects, and works unbelievably well with the pedals & amps!

13. Chandyland

Chandyland Member

I don't think anyone's really arguing with you here... Obviously an actual tape or an actual BBD will sound more like the real deal than an emulation.

My big problem is the blanket statement that analog is better across the board. That's just objectively untrue. If you want to get a super clean, clear, and low noise delay, BBD is hot garbage.

Additionally, it's okay to prefer digital over analog. For instance, I actually like the Diamond Memory Lane Jr. (digital delay line) more than the analog versions.

I think the joke here is that the TU-2 is a digital tuner... Also no, it's not a line driver. It has a buffered bypass circuit.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    awallace, Jimmy Tango and Daytona57 like this.
  14. motokev

motokev Member

Old analog pedals smoke the modern digital ones.

Yeah, that's right

Chandyland likes this.
  15. Will_Pancake

Will_Pancake Member

nope.
    strymon rules.
    even when trying to emulate “analog gear”

Steve Hotra and Chandyland like this.
  16. Social Exodus

Social Exodus Lone Wolf Supporting Member

Sound (to me) is only part of he equation. I dig analog gear because of its' tactile touch thing as much as anything. When I sit down to play, I focus more on playing than futzing around. I've found the sounds I like, and I want a bare minimum of fuss when I want to play. Honestly, I play acoustic more than anything else and it doesn't get anymore raw and real than that.

17. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Gold Supporting Member

ABSOLUTELY! And I just recommended the Small Clone in another thread about chorus. Fantastic pedal.

18. speedyone

speedyone Member

Generally speaking, I prefer analog effects.

But, there are amazing digital ones too that can sound equally incredible.

For example, no analog chorus could ever get THIS sound, which is lush and incredible:

19. speedyone

speedyone Member

Analog and digital are both great.

:)

radiocure and BootRoots like this.
  20. jrigg

jrigg Gold Supporting Member

The AD-80 is a great at sounding delay.