this effect is like finernails on a chalkboard . . .

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by FleshOnGear, Jan 24, 2007.

1. SamPaoli

SamPaoli Member

piezo transducers !!

Ok not realy an effect, but when I hear an acoustic guitar part that's been tracked in the studio (live I give a little lee-way to) by guitarist's that can obviously afford better systems, and I hear this weak sounding Piezo crap come through the speakers it truly makes me wince and cringe. Now I know not everyone can sound like A Windham Hill artist on acoustic, but I just can't accept it when I hear an otherwise good guitar part destroyed by the Piezo Devil. That Sh*t should be banned.

2. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

3. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

Two words:
    Guitar Synth.
    [​IMG]

4. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

i'm going to go with talk-box.... there are some effects that I just can't do, but don't mind others using them tastefully. octaves, phasers and flangers are those effects.

5. elchato

elchato Member

Flanger, Phaser, AND FUZZ... yes, fuzz... can't seem to find a fuzz that sounds good to me, they all sound dead, cold and pretty much like the thread's title.

Octave pedals don't do it for me either... and while I like to listen to a well used delay, for some reason when I play with a delay pedal myself, I get headaches and I feel dizzy. Any one else have this problem?

I DO LIKE CHORUS... but not in an 80's way, I wouldn't use it for lead, just a little bit on the clean to add some dimension to the sound

6. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Me too. Its a taste issue. Andy summers and David gilmour know how to use these effects tastefully (John Scofield...not so much) and noone to my knowledge has ever complained about their tone...usually quite the opposite . The 80's ruined chorus, flange, phase and REVERB for alot of people (ever notice how dry albums of the 90's are by comparison). This is due to abuse, not anything inherently wrong with the FX.

7. staplek

staplek Member

maybe u dont mind summers chorus because it's really a flanger! (i keep reading that he didnt use a chorus)

8. yesteryear

yesteryear Member

I hate flanger. But I have a 70s MXR flanger on the way. Remember just cause you didn't like certain OD pedal doesn't mean you don't like OD. I will find my flanger.

9. MR Haney

MR Haney Member

Like most have said, heavy 1980's chorus and guitar synth. And I came of age in the 80's. I remember why I dislike it so when I watch a movie from the 80's, yuck.
    Chorus, synth, super strats and Marshall and spandex. :jo

10. jeswin123

jeswin123 Member

I think that Kirk Hammett ruined the Wah for me. I didn't play one since the Black album came out, until about a year ago. Arch Enemy brought it back into favor for me. I don't know what the effect is, but whatever it is that I hear everytime I walk into GC is the worst effect!!!

11. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

1. Rat
    2. Alanis Morissette
    3. Anything Satriani uses
    4. Morley volume fuzz wah from the 70's. I lost all my firiends before I dumped it. Good Lord it was SOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad.

12. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Supporting Member

I hate to say it, but I hate fuzz. I've tried to like it, but I can't. As much as I respect Jimi Hendrix, I really didn't care for his tone at all (with the exception of the tone of his wah). Every fuzz pedal I've played has felt "hard" to me and sounded boxy and gritty.

Just about any pedal can sound terrible if the player isn't taking time dialing it in. I bet 90% of the 80's chorus sounds wouldn't be so nauseating if they were dialed in tastefully rather than saturating the signal with it. When I think of tasteful chorus, I instantly think of the Police (Andy Summers).

13. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

Anything with the word "digital" in it, that's not followed by the word "tuner"..

14. armanHammer

armanHammer Member

Boss metal zone, almost any digital amp. almost any boss fx

i.e. being in guitar center

15. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Any of the pre modelling digital effects. IMO

I still have one of the early digitech rackmount things

mosquito city.

16. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

todays modeling is pretty darn good. At least Line6 xtLive that is.

But I would never use it as a stomp box. It needs to be always on.

with good poweramp and cab. I use the PowerEngine60

But I always play my tube amp out in the world.

17. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

+ 1 on guitar synth except for Metheny's GR-300

18. guitgator

guitgator Member

ha!....reminds me of this great bit a female comedian did on Morrisette's "Ironic". She said "no...Alanis...you just spent FOUR minutes describing things that are UNFORTUNATE!. Irony is NOT a fly in your glass of Merlot!"

19. guitgator

guitgator Member

Me too....I like a slow phase fed into and overdrive for leads...adds some movement to the sound. The one pedal I regret getting rid of is my Ross Phaser back in the 70's...I KNEW there was a reason I liked it at the time!

20. guitgator

guitgator Member

Brother.....I agree there. I couldn't believe that Garth Brooks actually used his Takamine direct on "The Dance" when he recorded it. What cheapazz/thin sound you get from piezos....eeeck!