This free IR combo is definitely worth checking out!

metropolis_4

Gold Supporting Member
Want to post this publicly to give credit where it is due.

I was building tones for a run of shows I did last month and stumbled across a really cool IR combination that impressed me.

I was messing with IR combinations and was cycling through my list when I came across a few of the ones @gigsup had posted around here. Two in particular: one labeled Twin SL 0° and the other labeled M 4x12 22

I honestly don't know what these are, and I don't like the sound of either one on its own, but there's some weird voodoo magic that happens when they are combined. Suddenly the tone fills out in a really nice way and sounds full and natural.
I don't quite understand what's going on because the Twin SL IR is very hard and bright, and the M 4x12 is very nasal and thin, but suddenly when they are combined they create this really nice full balanced sound.

For the shows, I used this IR combo with JTM45, 1959SLP, JVM410, Vibro King, and Carr Rambler amp models and it sounded great with all of them at all settings from super clean to face melting.

You'll have to do a little phase correction to get them aligned, but once you do it's a sound worth checking out!

Thanks again @gigsup for offering these. These IRs were a great tool for me to have available, they helped me get some of my favorite tones I've found so far, and I'm sure they'll become a regular part of my live rigs going forward! :beer

Here's a link to the M 4x12. I couldn't find the one that contains the Twin SL 0°. Maybe someone else can help find it?

M 4x12 22:
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...ew-far-field-irs.2058405/page-7#post-28799261

AZG

Want to post this publicly to give credit where it is due.

I was building tones for a run of shows I did last month and stumbled across a really cool IR combination that impressed me.

I was messing with IR combinations and was cycling through my list when I came across a few of the ones @gigsup had posted around here. Two in particular: one labeled Twin SL 0° and the other labeled M 4x12 22

I honestly don't know what these are, and I don't like the sound of either one on its own, but there's some weird voodoo magic that happens when they are combined. Suddenly the tone fills out in a really nice way and sounds full and natural.
I don't quite understand what's going on because the Twin SL IR is very hard and bright, and the M 4x12 is very nasal and thin, but suddenly when they are combined they create this really nice full balanced sound.

For the shows, I used this IR combo with JTM45, 1959SLP, JVM410, Vibro King, and Carr Rambler amp models and it sounded great with all of them at all settings from super clean to face melting.

You'll have to do a little phase correction to get them aligned, but once you do it's a sound worth checking out!

Thanks again @gigsup for offering these. These IRs were a great tool for me to have available, they helped me get some of my favorite tones I've found so far, and I'm sure they'll become a regular part of my live rigs going forward! :beer

Here's a link to the M 4x12. I couldn't find the one that contains the Twin SL 0°. Maybe someone else can help find it?

M 4x12 22:
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...ew-far-field-irs.2058405/page-7#post-28799261
I think all the available free far field IRs are listed in this post. https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...ection-free-irs.2047238/page-84#post-29530050

burningyen

A couple months ago I switched over to one of gigsup's Twin IRs for gigs as well. I forget if it's the 5° or 8° one, but it's one of those. I use it with a hot single-coil bridge PU (DiMarzio Virtual Solo) and the Litigator model with the Treble at 0.

gigsup

In my very limited experience of blending RFIRs so far, once you have things lined up, the results can be really nice.

You're not combining various room reflections together, so you have the essence of both cabs going for you in the the proportion you prefer.

The thing is, I'd probably prefer a blend of two independent amp/cab combinations as opposed to an amp driving a Frankenstein (or Tesla) IR.
But I'm saying that based on things I've done in the past, I don't own a modeler that can do that.

Lele

Silver Supporting Member
The thing is, I'd probably prefer a blend of two independent amp/cab combinations as opposed to an amp driving a Frankenstein (or Tesla) IR.
But I'm saying that based on things I've done in the past, I don't own a modeler that can do that.
Very interesting and stimulating point.
With my Helix I tried several time to combine 2 different amps, but I always got something that was less satisfactory than single amps (because of strange effect on the attack and slightly phasey sound, nothing extreme, but audible imho) even if to be honest the Helix MBritt presets that I bought have some combi-amps and they are excellent. Maybe it's just a matter of dedicating a lot of time to experiment with many different combinations and amp parameters.

By the way, I also tried to combine the FFIRs from Jay (the famous "C" and his "4x12") and the results were disappointing, while the single IRs are the best I have.
At the end I get much more useful resuts just applying some (or even extreme) equalization changes to those single FFIRs.

gigsup

Very interesting and stimulating point.
With my Helix I tried several time to combine 2 different amps, but I always got something that was less satisfactory than single amps (because of strange effect on the attack and slightly phasey sound, nothing extreme, but audible imho) even if to be honest the Helix MBritt presets that I bought have some combi-amps and they are excellent. Maybe it's just a matter of dedicating a lot of time to experiment with many different combinations and amp parameters.
Yes, and you can't discount what an RFIR brings to the table with regard to that.

All of the RFIRs I've posted are time coherent to the peak of the impulse response, at the .wav sample, within the specific speaker types. So you can combine 0º and 30º speakers of the same type without amplitude and phase anomalies.

Posts like this one make me realize how beneficial it might be to ensure that all of the peaks across all of the samples are aligned between speaker types. I've been tempted to get one of the software programs that let you do combine IRs, thinking it might be enlightening when using RFIRs exclusively. I've found a couple of combinations I like just using Logic.

Lele

Silver Supporting Member
Posts like this one make me realize how beneficial it might be to ensure that all of the peaks across all of the samples are aligned between speaker types.
This is what I also suggested with a free tool like Audacity, 2 years ago, to combine 2 or more IRs after reading a similar hint from Jay (if I remember well), as I explained here. I see now that my images aren't available anymore in my post, but you can still glimpse the explanation.

Last edited:

Lele

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe try making MPT and see if it screws anything up
Imho the result is unpredictable.
With several IRs the difference is imperceptible (at least for me), while in some cases there is noticeable difference.
If I remember well, I used IR Workshop for my tests, but it was some time ago.

theevilone

Posts like this one make me realize how beneficial it might be to ensure that all of the peaks across all of the samples are aligned between speaker types. I've been tempted to get one of the software programs that let you do combine IRs, thinking it might be enlightening when using RFIRs exclusively. I've found a couple of combinations I like just using Logic.
I did extensive testing and mixing yours and Jays IRs. In theory samples should be alligned but I got interesting results with non alligned IRs.

At first I mixed your V30 with Jays 412 as they were, non alligned. It sounds great and I've been using this combo exclusively since I got them. Then a couple of weeks back I alligned them perfectly and mixed them with the same "formula" and I must say I like the first mix better.

When they are not alligned I feel like I get greater separation between IRs, the thump and bass from 412 and full mids and pleasent high end from V30, maybe like it's broader spectrum, it's hard to explain in English not being my mother language. When alligned they come together more, blend with one another, like I engaged a nice compressor. It still sounds great but the first mix feels more raw and natural and the second like it's a little "produced".

These 2 mixes are the only ones I ever use for live and recording and I'll say again how happy I am that these IRs were shared with us, a real game changer for me.

Thanks!

metropolis_4

Gold Supporting Member
These two were close, but a little out of phase. I had to bump one ~4ms to get them sounding good together

Trending Topics