This gets my vote for the greatest free concert ever.

supergenius365

Supporting Member
Not sure I would consider the roof top playing to be a concert. I enjoyed being at this one.

I wore out my vinyl copy from playing it so much. I bought the cd version only to be disappointed by the performances. The vinyl version had been edited to fit the format. The songs and arrangements are tight. The full length versions of the songs on the CDs are much more loose and a bit sloppy (of course much better than I could ever do).

Still, a great concert free or otherwise.

wombat66

I once accidentally happened upon a Sun Ra concert in Central Park (NYC). I was only marginally acquainted with his work.
Turned out to be quite an unexpected treat, musically and visually.
If its the july 4th 1992 concert I was there. Sonic Youth also played. Great event

A week ealier I also saw Sun Ra play a free concert on the boardwalk at Coney Island.

Last edited:

74vibrolux

If its the july 4th 1992 concert I was there. Sonic Youth also played. Great event

A week ealier I also saw Sun Ra play a free concert on the boardwalk at Coney Island.
Sun Ra and Sonic Youth on the same bill? Damn. Would’ve loved to see that.

Mwoodbro

Silver Supporting Member

That could have been the date, I am not sure. It is about right, give or take a few years. I do remember it was a nice, warm, sunny day.

wombat66

Sun Ra and Sonic Youth on the same bill? Damn. Would’ve loved to see that.

So many really interesting free shows in the Central Park Concert series over the years. Another favorite memory was the hot summer night when Lou Reed read lyrics and poetry and told new york stories, no music.

74vibrolux

So many really interesting free shows in the Central Park Concert series over the years. Another favorite memory was the hot summer night when Lou Reed read lyrics and poetry and told new york stories, no music.
That’ll teach me for not living in New York at the time.

amstrtatnut

I saw the Dixie Dregs for free in San Jose. That was cool.

My favorite free show was The Grays. They were having issues with the sound. The sound actually sucked pretty bad but, they were awesome anyway. I went and saw them again a week later at Stanford coffee house. Not sure why they were playing such small gigs. They were fantastic.

wombat66

The Human Be-In, San Francisco, January 14 1967 photo by Lisa Law

True story, that's me on the left sitting on the edge of the stage under Pig Pen of The Grateful Dead.
Not the best concert but a pretty amazing free event. Allen Ginsberg and Gary Snyder tossed the i-ching and read poetry. And Tim Leary gave his infamous "Tune in, Turn on, Drop out" speech. I was 13 and went back to the 7th grade.

Last edited:

Trending Topics