This Greg Koch vid sold me on the guitar..

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by rhinocaster, May 9, 2015.

1. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Seriously, I'd been thinking about one of the '72s at a local shop that had hung on the wall for a loooooong time and I never really wanted to pick it up because it was never a style of Tele that appealed to me....

It grew on me as far as the visual aesthetic and I finally played it and was totally knocked out by the playability and tones. Went home to think about it and watched this video....went back and bought the guitar.

DAYUM!! :D

2. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

I love my 72 TDRI. Enjoy.

3. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

Great guitar! But don't watch any of his other guitar vids - Greg Koch could sell any guitar in all seriousness.

4. rhinocaster

Nah, I've watched dozens of his vids over the years. :D

There was just something in the range of sounds in the '72 that stood out to me....this also happens to be about my favorite demo of his. Floored more than usual! :aok

5. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

Have you picked it up yet - or is it just ordered?

6. rhinocaster

Oh, I picked it up a while ago and it's now my #1 guitar....never thought a non '50s style Tele could ever be my #1 but it's the reality for me now. I can really play anything I want with this one..:)

7. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

That's great - it sounds good on the demo.

I'm actually building a Thinline and have already bought some Lollar Wide Range Humbuckers for it. So it will be sort of similar.

Good choice.

8. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Open G awaits.

9. rhinocaster

This guitar is definitely a "no lame cowboy chords allowed" zone!! ;)

10. Crimson Queen

Crimson Queen Member

One could spend a couple years studying only the playing in that video. That was awesome!

11. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Yep, .........

12. imastratoholic

imastratoholic Supporting Member

I love watching Greg do unimaginable things to pretty little guitars. He is seriously other worldly.

13. rhinocaster

I'm sure the Lollars will sound incredible....the stock Fender pickup has a diffused, softer sound that borders on the verge of being too smooth and dark but, for me, stops just short of that zone and ends up sitting perfectly in the mix when I want that full neck humbucker sound. I considered changing it to get a "better" sound but I can't bring myself to do it...it definitely works for me. :)

I'll bet your build will be smoking'! :)

14. rhinocaster

Totally agree....I'm always amazed by his demos but this one is off the charts for me. He went so many places and just tore it up! :)

15. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

So what guitar is that actually? A Thinline of some sort? (no F hole), a Deluxe? the ones like that with the Humbucker in the neck and std tele bridge but with 4 control pots seem to be the exception. Was a vintage type ever made like that?

16. rhinocaster

No thinline.....It's a '72 Custom reissue. I don't think the originals were particularly popular but I think the range of sounds in the guitar SHOULD make it a fairly popular design.

I'm really most comfortable with the traditional Tele control layout but it's hard for me to argue what I can get out of the '72. The Tele bridge pickup is pretty sacred to me but I enjoy different takes on the neck/middle positions. The extra control really add to a design that seems to be about stuffing as many sounds as possible into a relatively simple pickup configuration.

:)

17. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

Greg is slowly becoming one of my favourite players, honestly I watch the wildwood channel for an hour and then resist from buying a guitar for a week!

18. fretless

fretless Silver Supporting Member

No doubt, but it would drive me insane because he makes it looks so effortless. The guy is a freaking killer player! Makes me want to both woodshed and burn my guitars in frustration. :jo

19. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

Greg Koch can certainly be convincing when it comes to guitar demos. He is indeed proof that it's rarely the guitar that is lacking.