This is a great song...How do I get that tone?

Jimmy Tango

Just listened to the new album by The Coral, entitled "Distance Inbetween." Overall this was a great album but now that I've been hanging out here a little while I'm appreciating guitar tone. Check out track three: Chasing The Tail of a Dream. The tone throughout is great but the solo is blistering and has a great "8-bit" fuzz sound that makes the track. Take a listen and lets speculate on how they got it. I haven't found a ton online about their gear, but I heard the guitarist has a Fuzz Factory....?

Hopefully this thread will keep going. Anyone interested should post any great tones they've heard in a song lately and list or speculate about the gear involved.

Edit: now with a link: !!!

Last edited:

ummohyeah

Good band, you don't see many mentions of them these days (at least in the states, I'm sure it's different in the UK). A quick search yields very little on their gear, I'm guessing the guy who did the lead track in that was the guitar player that quit. Pedalboard searches don't always equate to what was used in the studio and it looks like the old lead guitar player had some very basic and dated pedals, nothing I see in the way of fuzz that would unearth what he used there.

Basic ways to get that tone... Obviously some microphonic sounding pickups, possibly a p90 or even better goldfoil, would help get there. I hear a lot of delay/echo on that guitar. A Fuzz Factory would do well but might be hard to reign in for that exact tone. I think a Fuzzface or Bee-Baa style fuzz would do the job really well.

davimre

Cool song!

Any self-professed "velcro" fuzz that lets you adjust the bias of the voltage to the transistors would probably get you close to the base tone. This EQD pedal demo doesn't sound worlds away the song's solo: .

If you want more control/craziness, I'd go smallsound/bigsound (see 1:56):

Jimmy Tango

Cool song!

Any self-professed "velcro" fuzz that lets you adjust the bias of the voltage to the transistors would probably get you close to the base tone. This EQD pedal demo doesn't sound worlds away the song's solo: .

If you want more control/craziness, I'd go smallsound/bigsound (see 1:56):
the EQD sounds really close. I have a Clusterfuzz that I love and it might get close too....but it is more "open" and "big" sounding.... than the track I guess, which has this distant kinda flat faded sound that really works in this song.