This is a longshot, but has anyone played these builders?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Lerxst2112, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

I'm looking for a bright, focused guitar with excellent balance... shimmering trebles, full bass, etc... I've looked around a good bit, and only 4 builders really caught my attention... 3 are from Classical Guitar Store, and 1 is from a certain forum member here.

I'm looking at:
    Galabert
    Fouilleul
    Planchon
    Aaron Green

EDIT: I can do the 3-day purchase thing from CGS. I was planning on ordering one and seeing how I felt about it. I guess I can't do that with Aaron Green, eh?

Anyone with thoughts? My price range is $5-6000.

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

You have a lot of very good choices in that price range.

I can tell you with confidence that Aaron makes a superior guitar; not sure about the others, I haven't played them.

3. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

In that price range, I think I would plan a trip to pick out the guitar. Being able to A/B the instruments would be well worth the cost of the plane ticket, especially if you think you might end up shipping a few guitars back.

Bryan

4. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

riffmeister - How quickly can you get up some Aaron Green clips? :)

5. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Member

I would add a Lowden to your list. My new Lowden is exactly what you are describing and at least a grand le$$.

6. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

I have been to all of those websites. You posted a list like that for me a while ago, and I wrote them all down and visited them several times.

7. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

oops.......short memory! :D

I will make some recordings with the Aaron Green soon. Bach, Barrios, Tarrega, Sor, are a few of the composers I like to play.

8. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Out of sheer curiosity, what is that Contreras at DreamGuitars worth?

9. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

I don't know. I was actually quite surprised at the "Inquire" pricing on that one.

One thing they should do for all of their classical guitars is show a picture of the label.

I bought a Velazquez from them. It is a wonderful sounding & playing instrument and I wound up keeping it. However, I was less than thrilled at the condition of the guitar based on my detailed conversation with Paul. I feel he misrepresented the condition on several counts (label included). If I were not a Velazquez nut, I would have returned the guitar immediately. But I am a Velazquez nut, and as I mentioned, it plays and sound wonderful!

10. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Just an addendum, I have emailed back and forth with Aaron Green a few times. He has offered me a guitar he built in '98 for $3500. The deal is that I need a classical NOW, and his waiting list is 1.5 years. I told him I would consider buying something cheaper and going ahead and putting my name on the list. Then, when the new guitar was completed, I'd sell the old, cheaper one.

Maybe it's just simpler to go with Galabert or Fouilleul. I don't know what to do anymore.

11. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

I was going to go for that '98 he is working on! He told me about another new guitar that he had just completed, which is the one I wound up buying from him and it is a real gem.

I would seriously consider the '98. He could have it ready in about a month, if I understand the situation correctly (needs new frets and new French polish). It is built in the Hauser/Romanillos style and it has seen some good play time, so I'm sure it would sound and play fantastic.

12. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Yeah, I'm thinking about it very seriously. He wants $3,500 without a polish fix, I think... that's just for a fretjob.

13. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

It might need repolishing on the top.....looks like the previous owner spent a good amount of quality time with it:

[​IMG]

14. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

15. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Man, this just keeps getting more and more difficult. :(

16. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

Yes, there are many many choices out there in your price range! If you can bring yourself to wait for the fix-up time for Aaron's '98, that would certainly be a good choice......Aaron makes a top-notch instrument. Once the instrument is available, I'd guess that he would offer you an approval period to decide if it is right for you. Assuming it is and you keep it and then six months later you decide on something else, I think you could recover most if not all of your dough in a resale.

If you can't wait (I know the feeling, btw), then there are many many choices out there. That Cohen is a little bit higher than your price range, but he builds a very nice guitar (so I've read, I haven't played one myself) and from the description seems to match your sonic wishes in a classical guitar. I am quite sure the CG Store offers a several day approval period, too. That Cohen is giving me a mild case of GAS, too. But then again it doesn't take much for me! :D

17. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Yeah, I need to get something fairly quickly. The way it was going to work was I was going to buy that '98 Green, put my name on the list for one of his new guitars, then sell the '98 when mine was finished. However, I'd rather just get something now... and I'd rather it was something that I was going to keep forever.

18. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

Oh that 'keep forever' part is hard for me. I am soooo easily tempted!! :D

Seriously, the way I've come to look at it is that I will buy and sell until I find what really works for me when it comes to musical instruments/equipment. With CG's I wanted so much to 'get it right' with the first purchase, because of the price tag, but it just hasn't worked out that way for me. I've lost a few grand buying/selling CG's, but in retrospect I think it's had to work that way......there's been a learning curve. And over the last ten years I feel that I have arrived a pretty nice (but not perfect.....gotta leave the door open for that next one, LOL!) collection.

Something I have learned is that buying a used, 'played in' CG can be a good thing, because the instrument has settled in and the way it sounds won't change much over time (probably like that '98 Green). Whereas a brand new instrument almost assuredly will change in sound over time. I learned this with my first two brand new CG's. I wound up selling each of them after about a year because the sound had changed in ways that I didn't care for. My next guitar was a 22 year old Velazquez and today, seven years later, it sounds the same as the first day I played it! I am hopeful with the brand new Green, though. Time will tell.......

19. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Riff - May I send you an email? The guy from CGS sent me 4 clips of the guitars that I requested... I'm curious to get the opinion of someone who has played a lot of them.

EDIT: I'll need your email address.