this is a really stupid harmonizer question....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by re-animator, Feb 11, 2008.

1. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

okay i have a boss ps-5 super shifter that I use to shift pitches and also to do octaving and harmonies etc. but... and this is really embarrasing,

i don't quite know what I am doing when I harmonize.... I sort of don't get the difference between harmonization and pitch shifting... which is pretty awkward. I mean i use both, and i hear the difference, but its like i don't know what i am hearing.

for example, lets say you were harmonizing up in G based on thirds, then what the first guitar plays is just moved up on thirds by the second guitar. but how is this different from pitch shifting??? I mean don't they always just move it up in thirds or whatever the desired increment is??

I'm really lost.... and when this question gets answered i will delete this thread so nobody knows I had to ask such a silly question. :munch

2. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but my guess is that harmonizing will mean that you are staying diatonic to whatever key you're in. If you're pitch shifting (let's say a perfect fifth), then whatever note you play will always be accompanied by a note that is a perfect fifth above it, whether or not that note is diatonic to the key you're in. Make sense?

3. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Pitch shifting would shift by a fixed amount, say a major third. Harmonizing would 'intelligently' shift based on the note you play, doing things like choosing between major and minor thirds.

Using the key of G as an example:

Harmonized in thirds: G-B, A-C, B-D, C-E, D-F#, E-G, F#-A
    Pitch shifted major thirds: G-B, A-C#, B-D#, C-E, D-F#, E-G#, F#-A#

Hope that helps,
    Bryan

4. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

What the last post said, but also:

In my experience, the ps-5 seems to work better in harmonist mode, as long as you only play single notes and pay attention to the root note setting. In one or two octaves up or down, in harmonist mode, it doesn't seem to care about the key as much but still wants single notes, not chords.

These issues are what is driving me to find another pitch shifting device, as per my recent thread.

5. kevinsaari

kevinsaari Member

When you pitch shift, what you are playing gets shifted up or down.

Harmonizing includes the original signal.

6. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

thanks bryan, i think your reply explained it best for me.