This is driving me nuts, I can't decide!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nb_fan, Feb 6, 2008.

1. nb_fan

nb_fan Member

I've spent the last couple weeks scouring this forum (instead of working on my thesis paper) and I've found it to be great - such a wealth of information. My only problem is...now I've been enlightened to the gazillion different choices/possibilities of pedals for what I want in terms of tone.
    I need to resolve this pedal gas so I can get on with my life!

What I want in terms of sound:
    (a) a great low gain sound, clear, articulate... possibly even very slightly compressed, or at least the illusion that it is slightly compressed (that added sustain). It's that very present clean sound with that touch of hair that gives definition and a slight edge to the attack.. I'm finding it hard to describe.
    (b) a medium gain that will give me a great solo sound - continuing into that slight compressed sound, giving it a fat smooth sound while maintaining chord clarity/articulation . I really like the idea of being able to dig in for greater gain, and then back off with the volume to clean things up a bit.

My set-up:
    US Strat --> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.
    I've also got a Catalinbread Hyperpak (which i love) that i want to layer on top for that visceral aggressive sound.

I like to play a lot of different kinds of music, mostly blues and bluesy/classic rock type things, but I have my moments with country and jazz

What I've come up with thus far:
    Xotic BB Preamp
    Xotic AC Booster
    Menatone Red Snapper
    MI Audio Blues Pro
    MI Audio Blues Boy Deluxe
    Barber Direct Drive
    Barber LTD
    Barber Small Fry

I know I sound rather desperate, but i want/need to get my gas taken care of (without buying them all and trying them out one by one).

Any suggestions for narrowing things down for me given what I want to do with them?

Thank you!

2. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Of your list I have NOT owned:

MI Audio Blues Pro
    MI Audio Blues Boy Deluxe
    Barber Small Fry

That said, I'd say the Xotic BB would really pull off what your describing extremely well. What you are looking for is what it does.

-Ben

3. MarkV

MarkV Member

No, but I might have a suggestion to broaden it. Try a Fulltone Fulldrive. Great low gain pedal, compresses a little and has a boost to get more lead gain.

A lot of the pedals you mention are very different. The Barber LTD is more a TS like low gain pedal, while the Barber DD has a lot more gain and is less TS based.

Which one have you actually tried?

4. loudstuff

loudstuff Member

The BB Preamp could be a good route for you because it has a huge gain range - from only a bit of hair to highly saturated. At lower gain levels, it has a very open sound. As you pump the gain, though, it gets pretty compressed. Overall it's a good pedal.

I've also tried the AC Booster and don't think it's what you're looking for because I found it had a lot of compression. I know it's not supposed to have much of a mid hump, but I still couldn't get along with its EQ - the low end was solid but the highs didn't sound so hot. I experimented with many different settings on the pedal's bass and treble controls and could never alleviate the problem.

FYI - I borrowed these two pedals from a friend for about a month. Tried both at gigs, sessions, and bedroom practice. The BB stayed on my board until I had to return it to my friend. The AC was another story - it got bumped after one gig.

I hope this helps narrow your search a bit. Good luck.

5. jb70

jb70 Supporting Member

i'm a barber fan so i went with the ltd sr for my low gain pedal and the small fry for my med gain (it will also do higher gain ala eric johnson). a lot of people on here really like the timmy pedal for low-med gain so you might want to try that pedal as well. the xotic bb is also very cool for a low-med gain and it's slightly compressed. i got rid of mine because the upper gain range was completely unusable for me. i'm using a barber dd (mod board) for higher gain solos and couldn't be happier.

6. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

You may have to stack two pedals, using one all the time and the other to kick in for a boost. I was after the same thing you are talking about. I found it with a Timmy running into an OCD. That said, you could just as easily run an LTD into a BB. I have done that too and it works great.

The idea is basically a lighter drive pedal (set barely on) up front, followed by a medium drive pedal set someplace in the middle. This gives you the ability to leave the medium on all the time and kick the light drive on for solos, or the light on all the time (for just breaking up tone) and kick in the medium for solos.

I like the OCD, because it sags more to my ears than most pedals in its class. The BB is a close second, but does better at higher gain than the OCD. So, it depends on how much drive you like. The BB is also more adjustable for different amps. I lucked out that the OCD "fits" my amp well, but I have heard it through amps that it didn't match so well.

If you wanted to do all of the above while riding your GTR vol, I would say the OCD cleans up the best. Another option is the Barber LTD with the mod board they offer. It allows an internal gain toggle, which gets you into medium gain range. It is also very clean, but I didn't think it was as "loose" as the OCD. But, your needs and ears are probably different.

Good luck! :AOK

7. Bing James

Bing James Member

Jetter Gain Stage Red

8. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

" take care of my GAS and get on with my life ": HA !, Thats a good one. If it was only that easy. When I had the Strat - 65 DRRI combo a Lovepedal Eternity gave me the tones you descibe. Its a very tweekable pedal. Don't rule out the new Mad Professor Little Green Wonder, its made for a Strat and the classic sound we all love. This sure isn't helping the GAS, sorry.

9. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

I agree on the Fulldrive II. :AOK

But, I didn't find the Barber LTD very TS-like tonally. Maybe the original Black one, but he has several versions out and all (especially the newer ones like the SR) are quite flat in the mids. And, if you get the mod board, you can even scoop the mids. So, I think this takes the pedal out of TS land.

I don't know if I'd go TS for what you're looking for, unless it's a modded one and you don't mind having to crank your amp for good tone.

10. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I like a heavier clean boost pedal vs. a lighter overdrive for a boosted tone with a bit of hair. Check out Durham Sexdrive.
    The other tones may be found in a Rat? Dunno.

11. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

"I like to play a lot of different kinds of music, mostly blues and bluesy/classic rock type things, but I have my moments with country and jazz"

Me too..

Timmy for balanced light drive stuff and as a stacking pedal
    Mjm Blues Devil for SRV correct ts-9 stuff or maybe the MadProf LGW
    Jetter GSR for creamy/chewy blues
    Xotic BB for heavier blues/rock

Good luck with getting it out of the way

12. nb_fan

nb_fan Member

yeah, I already have a TS, but I've grown tired of its sound.. and not sure if it would do me any better in getting it modded by someone.

Actually, I'm starting to lean towards the BB preamp. I just heard some of Josh Smith's demos and it seems like it has an incredibly versatile gain - barely there/clean boost to all out smooth cream... is that fair to say?

13. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Well there are lots ofoptions as you already know! And just like you , I`m ending up trying a bunch of different pedals(individually and stacked) I think some things to account first for are you using it w/ one rig or many ( diff. guitars and amps,etc) That all being said, I`ve had the following pedals in no order. Boss Turbo OD ( great mids and cheap $ ), Barber Direct Drive( nice TS pedal), T.C. Jauernig DGTM ( even better T.S.) Lovepedal Eternity Burst PCB ( the best! TS pedal,sort of) Timmy(most transpararent od), Jetter Gainstage Blue( nice for light od, too buzzy for high gain for me) Jetter Red ( smoothe, nice mids, just got it) Red Snapper(nice alt. to the Timmy pedal different low to mid drive pedal very adjustable and stacks reaaly well, a keeper!) You need to try them out for yourself though, cause it`s what you HEAR that matters! Best of luck and have fun in the search.

14. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

Out of the ones on your list, the Barber Small Fry is probably the most versatile & has the widest range of tones lurking in it. It would be my pick, but then again, I've had one on my board since they first came out. :AOK

15. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Supporting Member

A Keeley Blues Driver fit this bill for me and handles tones from clean boost to pretty good dirt without too much tone alteration. I have been wondering what that and a Hyperpak would sound like stacked. Plus, they resale well, so if you don't care for it, it's easy to move along!

16. wleeds

wleeds Member

Just wanted to clarify, I have an original TS808, original TS9, Analogman TS9silver and all 3 LTD's. The LTD's are not TS like in that they don't have the TS characteristic mid hump. All of the LTD's are very amp like.
    :D
    m

17. Garage Dog

Garage Dog Member

What I want in terms of sound:
    (a) a great low gain sound, clear, articulate... possibly even very slightly compressed, or at least the illusion that it is slightly compressed (that added sustain). It's that very present clean sound with that touch of hair that gives definition and a slight edge to the attack.. I'm finding it hard to describe.
    (b) a medium gain that will give me a great solo sound - continuing into that slight compressed sound, giving it a fat smooth sound while maintaining chord clarity/articulation . I really like the idea of being able to dig in for greater gain, and then back off with the volume to clean things up a bit.

NB,You described my pedal to a tee.I have a G2D Creamtone.

http://www.g2d.co.nz/products.php?Action=Details&ProductID=1

18. ed84246

ed84246 Member

I'll agree with this. I love the BB but just couldn't connect with the AC boost's tone. I think the Barber stuff is good, but in my opinion the BB edges them out.

19. aksman

aksman Member

BB Preamp!!!! for leads, it's great!

for the light, articulate overdrive... Timmy!!!

Right now for me, BB-->Timmy--> OCD = amazing

20. auratnik

auratnik Supporting Member

With MI Audio BBD you can cover very much everything.