This is for people who own a Dunlop Echoplex EP103 pedal...

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
I just got one of these. I really like it, but at the minimum volume setting the delay volume is louder than I would like. Most pedals are "off" when fully counterclockwise but not this one.

Is yours like this?

Thanks!

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
I'll check when I get back from work.

yellowbaloon

I just got one of these. I really like it, but at the minimum volume setting the delay volume is louder than I would like. Most pedals are "off" when fully counterclockwise but not this one.

Is yours like this?

Thanks!

Yep, mine is the same :) I have just tested it after seeing your thread. I like fairly prominent delays, and therefore doesn't hold an issue for my use, but I understand how it may be frustrating for others. It is a bit odd as to why it cannot go 100% dry?

Are you running yours straight into a crunchy/dirty amp?

GAT

Yes. I've used it in my Marshall and my King Snake.

Weird.

GAT

I may take it back. I just like a hint of delay most of the time.

yellowbaloon

With the mix at minimum on mine, I find the repeat(s) very, very low in level...infact, it is what I would call just below 'a touch'; but one's 'a touch' is anothers too-much-'a touch' :)

I have noticed that when the 'age' setting is engaged, the higher the 'age' setting, the level of the repeats increase in volume, which in turn affects the minimum repeat volume in aged-tape mode. Keeping it in 'new tape' mode helps a little, but certainly not by a huge amount.

OilsFan

Silver Supporting Member
Mine sounds OK for me with the mix set low. I don't think I'd ever use it like that though. I really like the pedal but the problem I'm having is getting more than a couple of loud repeats. I have to crank the knobs to hear anything more than a couple of repeats.

yellowbaloon

@OilsFan - I also find the decay-taper to be quite unusual, especially at low-mid repeat settings. What I have found is; the best result for my use comes from setting the repeats to approx 2 or (moreso) 3 o'clock which gives a much smoother decay. Obviously, that is going to be too many repeats for some applications.

This pedal has been one of those experiences where I had played with it, but not explored it enough to really get the most from it. I have just recently put it back on my board and am loving it at those higher repeats settings, very 3D sounding.

Hope that helps!

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
Just tried mine, same behavior. Not an issue for me though, I never set it that low anyway.

fjs1962

Silver Supporting Member
Mine is like that too, and thought something was wrong with it. Tried the other one they had at the store and it's the same way.

It's not an issue for me, but I though it was unusual that it won't go 100% dry. It's been a while since I had my real Echoplex, do they behave like this too?

I will say this, I love the way it sounds in a mix. I can get a great Page type slap, EVH 300ms delay, and Andy Summers tone from the pedal. I have several other delay pedals and to me this one is the closest to what I remember my old EP-3 sounding like.

GAT

Hmmm...I need to figure this out. In a band mix I think it would be perfect but at home it seems a bit too much for me. I like the tone of it.

I have the TC Alter Ego x4 and that is nice too, I was just trying to downsize.

AgusAD

With other instruments it will surely be lost in the mix. Maybe start messing around with backing tracks?

nicolasmasset

Hmmm...I need to figure this out. In a band mix I think it would be perfect but at home it seems a bit too much for me. I like the tone of it.

I have the TC Alter Ego x4 and that is nice too, I was just trying to downsize.

I've got the alter ego aswell as the dunlop. The dunlop can get very fun, but it is a bit weird sounding, a bit bright and thinned out in the middle. I don't know, I find my alter ego's tone tone closer to my bypassed tone. Sounds more open to me. Echoplex has ton of character though. The sustain knob is a bit strange to me too. I have to get all my settings from between 3 and 6 o'clock.

BluesDriver

Yeah mine is the same way but I didn't even notice till now. I always run mine 40-70% mix so it's not a issue with me.

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member
Sorry to derail, but is it true that modulation is slightly on at the lowest setting, as well?

Gretsch47

Gold Supporting Member
Try turning the Sustain UP a bit past noon, that smoothes out the repeats into a more ambient type sound.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom