This Is My Tele

SPROING!

I made it. It has a chambered walnut body and a walnut neck. The fretboard is rosewood and the binding is maple. The finish is acrylic lacquer. The bridge pickup is a Fender original vintage and the bridge pickup is a Duncan SM3 mini wired to split.
It was a sunny day, so I took a fresh pic.

f73b557c.jpg

May I see your tele pics? I like teles.

magilla

michaelgeeguitar (IG)
Platinum Supporting Member
Very cool guitar. A lot of character in that instrument, by the looks of it.

lkft

Looks nice!!! That lower horn though...something about it doesn't look quite right...:dunno

jimbugg

Silver Supporting Member
THIS IS MY TELECASTER

THERE ARE MANY LIKE IT, BUT THIS ONE IS MINE

WITHOUT ME, MY TELECASTER IS NOTHING

WITHOUT MY TELECASTER, I AM NOTHING

t

SPROING!

what does walnut sound like?

It's very snappy. Has a real sharp attack, but still has great harmonics...they don't "bloom," however. Just "bang" there they are. I'd say it has good balance across the spectrum. Doesn't really emphasize any particular frequency. The sustain is amazing. It'll hold a note longer than my son's les Paul easily.

It seems pretty choosy about pickups and that may be one reason it isn't used all that much. I don't think you can just grab a set of pickups and expect them to work. I'm not 100% satisfied with what I have in there now. I think I need something a little less harsh than the OV bridge pickup and a neck pickup with more mids may be in the future.

I'm thinking about a Lollar BS bridge along with an El Rayo for the neck.

SPROING!

What's the black thing below the 21st fret?

A repair. Long story. The guitar was started by someone else, botched and I did something of a rescue job on it. The fretboard was actually attached in the wrong place. And I had to move it. I filled the end of the boar with some walnut.
Will probably put a new board on it one day but it works.

IMG_5574.jpg

IMG_5984.jpg

OklahomaCity-20120429-01164.jpg

SPROING!

Looks nice!!! That lower horn though...something about it doesn't look quite right...:dunno

I'm not surprised. It's not a Fender and getting that wide strip of maple around the horn was an exercise I don't care to repeat. I modified the shape just a bit to get it to wrap without splitting.

Plus, I did the whole thing essentially freehand. I have no templates.

Under the hood...

OklahomaCity-20120428-01153.jpg

And my unique fix for the world's thinnest neck. A three piece laminated job. And extra 1/8" of walnut installed between the fingerboard and neck. I suspect that contributes to the amazing sustain. It's a very rigid neck.
a529a335.jpg

Top Bottom