This is Not a RAT settings thread

89strat

You can add your settings if you'd like, but I'm more interested in how you use the RAT. Is it a standalone drive pedal? Is it your boost pedal? Is it part of a pedal stacking setup? Is it your full on heavy fuzz pedal? It really is that versatile.

I rely on my pedalboard because whether I play in a club or a studio, if I don't have my own amp with me, I can plug into anything generally clean to slightly dirty and sound like me. My amp of choice is always a fender, by the way. The RAT is a big part of my sound because it always sounds like a RAT, it's not that transparent yet my strat and les paul retain their general tonal characteristics. I like that I can vary the gain with my guitar volume. I use it as a basic rhythm where I can raise the volume on my guitar for dirty lead tones and lower my guitar volumes for fatter clean tones. This only works when I keep the gain about 10:00. When I need more, I boost an od808 into it. So, I guess I'm using it to simulate an amplifier slightly beyond breakup.

A.Maiah

I´ve been swapping in and out my RAT II for 20 years. Mostly as a stand-alone high gain distortion. Now i use it mostly for drive with the gain at 7:00 and i crank the gain and the filter for specific sounds in a more experimental context.

jddub440

I use one sometimes just for a different flavor tone of dirt upon many fuzzes on my board....I like its harmonic content with the distortion up just high enough to feedback when the guitar volume is maxed out and then I roll the volume back a bit and just barely crack the filter up above 8 oclock... it snarls!!!!:dude

Lt Dak

Silver Supporting Member
I've always used mine primarily for controlled chaos. For a long time my drives were mxr micro amp into ts9 into hotrod Deville. The rat was for heavier parts, solos, and feedback. I described it as "mostly controlled chaos."

I think the rat helped me bond with a strat. There was no way in hell that a strat would sound anemic or thin when the rat was on.

I love that pedal, so much so that I bought a couple extra before prices went nuts.

Edit to add: I now look at the rat as my gateway drug into full-blown fuzz addiction.

drifterphase

Stand alone high gain. I use mine for leads. Distortion dimed, filter about half and volume as appropriate. I like the long sustain and easy feedback that I get. I know of a lot people that use it for a boost but mine is for leads.

krik

As a boost into a Bogner Blue pedal. I use only about the first 1/16th of a turn on the Rat's distortion knob, so it's always kind of a pain to get it exactly where I want it and then not accidentally bump it out of place. I should probably figure out some kind of mod for that.

LordThurisaz

TS type into a Fat Rat. The TS type has the gain between 8:00-9:00, tone around 11:00, volume where it sounds good. The Fat Rat is 2:00-3:00 level, 11:00-12:00 gain, and filter around 1:30-2:30. Stock or not on the switches.

Stacked, high gain 80s tone, or for a pseudo channel switcher with a Joyo American Sound into a Headrush FRFR112.

TheSpricket

I love my Mooer Black Secret that's actually broken and stuck in turbo mode . Currently I use it, along with 5 other drive pedals, set as a tight fuzzy high gain boost. That's what I really think of when I think of the Rat. And off the top of my head I'm not sure but I think it's set with the filter and gain very high and volume set low.

I had an 88 LM308 Rat for a while but didn't really know how nice it was when I sold it. But learning about the Scofield Rat overdrive trick I had to get my hands on another Rat, $30 for a used Black Secret.

I love the Scofield trick, volume and Filter maxed gain set very low. One of the best and most useful overdrive tones.

jvin248

I stack my RAT and my KLON!

... or rather my Black Rat and Golden Horse ... the pair only cost $50 and they are close enough to the real things.

HanFastolfe

I use mine by itself for something on the low end of high gain. It's in a loop on an A/B/off box with a TS mini, so I leave them both on, switch between them, bypass them, but never stack them.

silverburstlp

Stand alone high gain. I use mine for leads. Distortion dimed, filter about half and volume as appropriate. I like the long sustain and easy feedback that I get. I know of a lot people that use it for a boost but mine is for leads.
I can't get my Rat beyond about halfway on the distortion otherwise it farts out and cuts on any string. Curious I see a lot of people use it as a high gainer distortion dimed, are y'all using single coils? Everything I have is HB and fairly high output but 80s original Rat and Black secret both crap out at noon or higher.

Gaheba

80' blackface rat here. I love this thing, its thirty years old and it is a cranky cantankerous old thing that has to be handled with kids gloves. But when it works, it sure delivers!
Standalone distortion (main rock rhythm sound) dialled in specifically for the bridge pickup of my strats. I find the distortion at about 10:30 o'clock gives me all the high gain drive I want (filter and volume at 3pm). Sometimes I will push it up to 11 o'clock but no need to go any higher.
For leads I usually boost after the rat with either a Marshall BluesBreaker or a MicroAmp.
I have experimented lot with boosting into the rat, but have always hated the resulting mushy wooly mess even with the rat's distortion down below 9 o'clock. I particularly hate the much loved on TGP combo of a TS into a Rat. Then again I have always struggled with TS's even though I used them for years (mostly because SRV and there wasn't much else available to me).
Had the same experience with the current Rat2 and the three clones I have. All sound much better - great actually - standalone.
A good Rat does not need help, other than a boost after for leads. Or use the volume knob.

Trending Topics