This is why I HATE car dealerships!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Da Geezer, Jul 28, 2019.

1. bluwoodsman

bluwoodsman Member

[​IMG]

2. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

I hope surgeons and dentists don't do the same thing. lol Wasn't there a TV show called Who Do You Trust ?

3. CheckSix

CheckSix Gold Supporting Member

here's an example I have...

I have a 2007 daily driver. Good car. I started getting a warning light 2 years ago that the anti-skid control system was on the fritz. You Google it and you see story after story of how people were taking this issue to the dealers and they were spending Hundreds and even over a Thousand $'s with No Joy having it "repaired". They were replacing the anit-skid module and all sorts of stuff but not fixing the problem. The TC's were coming back.

I took my car over to my friend's repair shop and he plugged in his Snap-on OBD diagnostics tablet and got the error codes. He then has another system that networks all the ASEE Master Techs together and they share information on solving car problems. He looked this one up and right there in front of us was the solution, already solved by a Master Tech. You take a Torx driver, loosen the screw on a collar on the steering wheel column, pull the steering wheel out towards you and re-tighten the Torx screw and check the vehicle. Yes, you read that correctly! It took a screwdriver and 15 seconds to fix. Problem solved. There is a connector in the steering column which hooks up to the steering angle sensor that over time gets too tight and starts to get an intermittent signal on the steering angle sensor. When that happens, it throws a trouble code and you get the system indicator showing a fault. By loosening the collar and pulling slightly out on the steering wheel, it reseats the connector. :rolleyes:

4. In Absentia

In Absentia Supporting Member

I’m lucky because my best friend is a service manager. The guy is also the most honest person I’ve ever met. You may not like what he has to say, but he will tell you honest.

Sam Hill likes this.
  5. beatcomber

beatcomber Member

Isn't it also illegal here in MA for a garage to perform service on the same car they've just rejected?

6. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

I took my 2003 BMW 330i to the stealer when it needed a new battery, thinking the CPO warranty covered that. When they said it did not, I asked for my keys back, said I'd take care it. Service kid said, "Man, the two things on these cars you don't want to mess with for aftermarket parts are brakes and batteries." I replied, "BMW has never made their own brakes or batteries. Gimme my keys back."

Sam Hill likes this.
  7. guitargeek6298

guitargeek6298 Member

Not as far as I know, but possibly. I know I've failed for Mr legitimate reasons before and just had the shop repair it.

There's also no grace period anymore for a safety rejection, so I'm not sure how that would work if the inspection shop weren't allowed to repair it.

8. Drew816

Drew816 Supporting Member

I always preferred the Plymouth Satellite, because ya know it's faster than the speed of light.

Check out the Foo Fighters version of this song by the way with Fred singing; check it out at "home." ;)

Takata airbag recall, no issues with our Honda Odyssey. That stealership has been good for recalls, but take the car in for work and they're going to give you a list of 3,000 things that need to be done. We took this van in for the timing chain and water pump replacement and they gave us a list totaling over $4k of work they recommended. And then asked if we just wanted to trade this car in, save ourselves the hassle of doing all this work and just get a new car. Of the $4k+ of work they recommended I did the rear brakes, that was it and drove it for another 2.5 years. ;)

It's tough to find anyone you can really trust to do any kind of work nowadays...

9. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Member

They have to remove the dash panels to get to the airbag connections, and unplugging the sync module is part of that process. Probably an honest mistake. But since the OP is good at diagnosing and finding the error you saved yourself a headache.
    Personally, I would contact the General Manager of the dealership and let him know what happened. The GM will make it right for you, somehow.
    Not the Service Mgr, The GM. He's the one with the custom made shirts and cuff links. And it's his balls on the line if customer service is not what it should be. And he will track down the service tech who did the work and have a chat with him.

Make a call, send a written letter, or both.

10. Lwilliams

Lwilliams Supporting Member

I can promise you that is not true of all dealers. I know from personal experience with the dealer group where I have been for years. Honesty and repeat business is paramount.

However, just like any McDonalds or guitar store or grocery store or doctor or plumber - the people in the actual building make all the difference in the world. A bad experience at one McDonalds or doctor or dentist does not make them all bad.

We have Honda, BMW and Subaru -- had Mitusbishi for years ( what a POS product ). Our customer retention rate is over 60%.....and that is remarkable this day and time when people tend to make such generalized statements as you have.

Though the internet is a medium that a lot of people rely upon, word of mouth from someone trusted still holds more credit with most people than anonymous words on a monitor.

Example: three weeks ago, I was in Nashville. There was a restaurant I wanted to try. The local Yelp reviews mostly trashed the placed. But, some friends from home highly recommended it - almost praising the place. We went anyway. It was GREAT. Yelp was wrong.

I was the service manager at our Honda store for 12 years before accepting the position as IT Director of the group. Our CSI scores ranked in the top 2% of the nation. We were recognized by Honda each year for these efforts. Part of that recognition is a requirement to maintain a certain customer retention percentage.

The manufacturers really hold the dealers "feet to the fire" regarding customer treatment. Though, the dealer is a franchise. The dealer principal has millions of personal dollars at stake. Each of them wish to have completely happy customers.........just the same as the McDonalds franchisee or lawyer or doctor or electrician.

Also, regarding comments on a forum, those are never indicative of the populace as a whole. The nature of personal psychology causes people who are dissatisfied to make more comments than the satisfied group. And, when narrowing that field down to the very small number on a specific forum, the data becomes even more slanted. Basically, happy people are in the minority when it comes to stating opinions on a forum of any type. And this is even more so when watered down to a fraction of a percentage of the entire applicable group.

11. Lwilliams

Lwilliams Supporting Member

Most dealers will be inclined to do something for you if you have been wronged in any way. My point was to have an idea of what would be acceptable in exchange for the wrong that was done. It seems the OP has already effected the repair himself. So, what would he like as a remedy for wrong?

He has stated he wants nothing. He wants to make them aware that he was treated badly when making them aware of the problem that they caused.

12. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

If this is right the OP was not facing sabotage just an oopsie by the tech.
    Lord knows, those happen:oops:

Secondly, the SM would have to assume the worst possible failure because it is common to present the worst case to the customer first, then back off if it turns into a quick fix, but no one knows until tests are done.

However, assuming nefarious intent makes for much more drama:aok

Sam Hill and Lwilliams like this.
  13. AdrenalinJunkie

AdrenalinJunkie Silver Supporting Member

I had a friend have issues with the local Ford dealership fixing the rear differential on his F250. The dealership had a terrible reputation in town. The dealership was sold and the talk on the street was Ford MADE them sell, or they would pull the franchise. I don't think the manufacturers don't want bad dealers.