This is why I'll never spend more than $300 for an electric guitar

Okaaaaaay.........

With that much gain, just about any guitar will sound good. Especially cheap humbuckers with a lacking high end.

I had an ec256 that slayed under gain, but absolutely sucked clean.

But, a pickup swap and controls goes a long way these days.

I have plenty of 3 to 500 dollar guitars to prove it.

Yup, I see your point, OP. The amp, cabinet, speakers and what's in the signal chain is all critical and paramount to the end result. The guitar itself?...well, not so much. I've been subscribing to this view for many years.

I loved the sound of this guy's rig, whatever it was, and the fact that he was making it happen with a $150 Donner speaks volumes about folks being far too obsessed with the guitar. Videos like this make me chuckle when I think of all the players who say things like "I love how my guitar sounds" or "this guitar sounds great". Uhm, well, it's not really your guitar that you're hearing - it's the rig.

Last edited:
Yup, I see your point. The amp, cabinet, speakers and what's in the signal chain is all critical and paramount to the end result. The guitar itself?...well, not so much.
Except the guitar is what you, the musician, actually touches. Better guitars almost always feel better and play better. Of course, you hit the wall of diminishing returns at around $1,000 to $1,500 but no way will a $150 guitar feel as good as a $1,000 without major work. Factor in that cost.

Last edited:
We are all so different. For me, a guitar is something I connect to, and when the amp and the rest of the gear starts to homogenize the differences between guitars (and the players touch), I tend to either back of the gain or make it more simple otherwise.

But if a 150 dollar guitar makes a player that utilizes only a single channel amp, a guitar and his touch and dynamics to deliver the goods, then great. It's possible :) I don't personally go for such a spartan setup, but some do.

I have a water line. I won’t say what it is but it’s a little more than 150$ lol.
My days of being snooty and thinking an expensive guitar makes things better are gone. Guys I’ve played with are the same. They pump serious cash into the amps and gear and skimp in the guitar area.
No reason at all that you can get a decent working instrument for cheap.

As I have stated before in threads of this nature, I need a guitar to stand up to 98 degree, 4 hour marina gigs for an entire summer. During that time it needs to always work correctly, no neck warpage, no electronic flubs, and especially no tuning issues! We zing through a lot of songs in a set. I can't be constantly tuning. If one of these companies wants to send a guitar to me for next summer, I'll "road test" it. Until then, I will stick with what is working FOR ME.

Looks like it's a good value for the price. appears to keep it's tuning well, after a lot of string bending, and has some nice tonal variety when the distortion is dialed back.

FWIW: A long time friend of mine - bass player - used to tour professionally and had a band with a CBS record deal for many years, has said for years that he won't gig with a bass that costs over $300.
He has a wall full of low end bass guitars in his studio. And he makes every one of them sound great, both in live performances and on recordings. But then, he's a really great bass player. Could the mojo be in the hands?

Yup, I see your point, OP. The amp, cabinet, speakers and what's in the signal chain is all critical and paramount to the end result. The guitar itself?...well, not so much. I've been subscribing to this view for many years.

I loved the sound of this guy's rig, whatever it was, and the fact that he was making it happen with a $150 Donner speaks volumes about folks being far too obsessed with the guitar. Videos like this make me chuckle when I think of all the players who say things like "I love how my guitar sounds" or "this guitar sounds great". Uhm, well, it's not really your guitar that you're hearing - it's the rig.
Agree that if anything has made leaps and bounds in the guitar world it is signal chains especially digital modeling. Guitars have improved at the lower price point because of better manufacturing process. But the majority of tone is in the signal chain.

Okaaaaaay.........

With that much gain, just about any guitar will sound good. Especially cheap humbuckers with a lacking high end.

I had an ec256 that slayed under gain, but absolutely sucked clean.

But, a pickup swap and controls goes a long way these days.

I have plenty of 3 to 500 dollar guitars to prove it.
Wasn't all gain on that vid.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom