• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

This isn't covered under Gibsons warranty?

tomkatzz

I took a couple of new guitars in for setup, Gibson ES 335 and a Gibson Les Paul Standard. The nut on the 335 wasn't cut correctly and the intonation was off, but the tech said it wasn't too bad.

The problem on the 335 is that the posts that protrude from the bridge into the body are too short and produce significant instability. I.e., the bridge wobbles. So I told the guy to go ahead and fix it. (Something like drilling/installing sleeves.)

The Les Paul is more problematical. The 1st and 2nd strings buzz because the nut is too low. He's got to replace the nut. That's $150.

Keep in mind these are new guitars. Regardless, Gibson has a lifetime warranty, but this work isn't warranty work.

You guys kept talking about Gibson quality but I was hoping I was the exception. Like, "Well, they might screw everybody else over, but I'll get lucky." Should have known better.

No more Gibsons for me. I'll get these running right but any future guitars will be something like Eastman, Heritage, Hofner, etc. Maybe I'll try Carvin.

Sean French

$150 for a new nut??Really?That's crazy expensive.
I've never paid more than $50 for a new bone nut cut to perfection.

"The problem on the 335 is that the posts that protrude from the bridge into the body are too short and produce significant instability. I.e., the bridge wobbles."

That's a factory defect...Gibson should replace that guitar for you.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
$150 for a nut????? Find another tech.

A new nut is a $40 job.

tomkatzz

"The problem on the 335 is that the posts that protrude from the bridge into the body are too short and produce significant instability. I.e., the bridge wobbles."

That's a factory defect...Gibson should replace that guitar for you.
It's supposed to be a repro or something like that. And that's the way they made them way back then.

In all fairness, the tech grabbed the tuneamatic and wobbled it with both hands. But it's not such that I even noticed it. I just decided to go ahead and let him stabilize it.

What I really wanted were some aftermarket black plated items. A black bridge and tailpiece really looked good, but I'm already putting too much money out at once.

tomkatzz

$150 for a nut????? Find another tech.

A new nut is a $40 job.
This is a Gibson Les Paul Standard. The old one has to be removed, the new one fitted, then it has to be refinished. Gibson finishes the nut with the same nitrocellulose finish they use on the rest of the guitar.

The good news is that I just got off the phone with the tech and he said if no one has worked on/modified the nut, it should be covered under Gibson's warranty.

This is him:

http://www.ghreno.com/

SGNick

the technician I spoke to kidna got egged into a rant, apparently the Gibson rep said the warranty is useless, they don't uphold to it 98% of the time.

Good luck.

jeffwith1f

nuts aren't finished.
am I wrong? sounds like someone is feeding you a line of bull my friend. Nut replaccement should not cost more than $50

and a wobbly bridge should totally be covered by warranty. If your shop whnere you bought is giving you a hassle, try contacting Gibson directly, see what they say

tomkatzz

I just had a new bone nut put on a LP... $45 with the nitro retouch.

You're getting robbed.

Jade
The $150 also includes a setup. Is that still too much?

For the 335, he's charging $35 for the setup. Is that reasonable?

RGB

Silver Supporting Member
I had to take my brand new '04 LP LE STD in for a new nut upon receiving it as well...the high E wouldn't stay on the fretboard. I contacted the online store that I bought it from and they told me to get a new bone nut cut and send them the bill...it was $50 and they paid off...not sure if they were reimbursed by Gibson. I don't believe the nut was finished in nitro though. Your tech seems high to me as well.

...one has to wonder why don't they get someone that knows how to cut a nut at the Gibson factory?

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
The $150 also includes a setup. Is that still too much?

For the 335, he's charging $35 for the setup. Is that reasonable?
I had a graphite nut put in a Heritage 535. Total cost was $40. $35 for a setup sounds reasonable.

CopperTop

Pardon me for asking, but why would you need a nut shot w/ lacquer on replacement?

I had a nut replaced on my LP and there was no mention of this?

JCM 800

I've just had a couple guitars done with new bone nuts and full setups. $75 each. I paid $150 for one guitar to have a full fret level and dress, new nut and full setup.

You got robbed on the nut. Sorry.

GTRJoe

Silver Supporting Member
Nuts don't need finish on them. There are other options as well. The nut slots can be filled and recut. The nut can be shimmed. A nice new bone nut would be the best option but it should not cost $150.

tomkatzz

I've just had a couple guitars done with new bone nuts and full setups. $75 each. I paid $150 for one guitar to have a full fret level and dress, new nut and full setup.

You got robbed on the nut. Sorry.
It hasn't happened yet. He hasn't started on the guitar. I called him and told him that Firey Music has a tech that installs a new nut for about $25. I asked my guy what he does that the $25 guy wouldn't do. My guy said that the new nut has to be buffed out and refinished to look factory. He also said $25 is a crazy low price to install a nut.

Jan Folkson

A full setup is usually $75, a new nut should be around $50-$75 so it doesn't seem too out of whack. $35 seems low for a setup on the 335, considering the Les Paul is costing so much. Are you sure you've broken down the figures correctly.

That said $185 for all the work on 2 guitars is not a bad deal at all.

Sean French

Pardon me for asking, but why would you need a nut shot w/ lacquer on replacement?

I had a nut replaced on my LP and there was no mention of this?

The Gibby nut has lacquer on it's sides.In line with the binding.
When a new nut is installed some have the sides of the nut touched up with lacquer to still retain the stock look.

Jan Folkson

$25 is too low for a new nut considering all the work involved. I'd be suspect of such a low price. A nut is one of those easy-to-do difficult-to-do-right kinda things. Should cost $50-$75 by a reputable tech.

Trending Topics