This isn't covered under Gibsons warranty?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tomkatzz, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

third coast in chicago charges 70 bucks.

2. tomkatzz

tomkatzz Member

I'm not really experienced enough a guitarist to recognize such problems except after many hours of playing alone. Or maybe my ear just isn't that good.

I bought the 335 from Firey Music in Sand Springs, OK. They recommended the guy I took it to. They said they had a part time guy, but that the guy I'm using is much better. As far as the retailer making it good, the 335 just needed a setup. The consensus here is that most guitars need a setup. I would have had to have paid for that anyway. The wobbly bridge is the design of the 335 (reissue?) and isn't considered a defect. That was just my choice.

The nut replacement is on the Les Paul. I bought that new at the Guitar Center. I know the guy they send their work to. I prefer the gentleman who is currently working on the guitar. Like I said, he said it's probably covered under Gibson's warranty. We'll see.

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

$150 does seem a bit high, unless you factor in actually spraying nitro on the sides of the nut to make it look "new", at which point it's kinda reasonable.

i would suggest skipping this step, though. as has been pointed out already, nuts wear out and occasionally need to be shimmed or replaced. if he's a top guy, he could just make a nice bone nut that sits flush with the edges of the neck and skip the refin. that would fix the problem and leave you with a better nut than before that's fixable down the road.

hell, for most players, shimming up the old nut works just fine, as long as it can be extracted cleanly (a real bitch sometimes).

that's one thing (of many) PRS got right, when he designed his guitars with nuts on top of the finish so they could be easily removed and repaired over the years.

4. jpage

jpage Member

Man, I've never had an experience like that from Steve @ Wildwood, where I've bought most of my Gibsons. I think him sending you off to someone to set up a new guitar that you just bought from him is a crock of crap. And I would have told him that.

I would go back to him and explain that if he doesn't take care of this for you, you will be writing a letter to Gibson informing them that one of their retailers can't do a simple set up on the guitars that they are selling. Unacceptable, bud.

5. tomkatzz

tomkatzz Member

LOL! What difference does it make that I'm new to guitars? What a ridiculous statement. The fact is the guitars have problems. The question is which problems are significant and how much should I pay.

According to who? You? He's charging me $150 for a new nut and setup. He normally charges $35 for the setup which leaves $115 for the installation of the nut. According to you people I should pay $75 max. I'm assuming that's for a top of the line luthier. So whoopie doo, I'm paying $40 too much. I'm not losing any sleep over $40. Besides, it's warranty work. The 335 has a lifetime warranty.

Yeah, I guess I could find somebody to do it for $25, but for a $2500 guitar I'd rather have the best I can find.

I can get Earl Scheib to paint my vehicle for $150, too. But I think I'd rather have someone better do the job.

That's only a part of it. Work on your reading comprehension.

I'm hardly alone in my perception.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/515163

6. tomkatzz

tomkatzz Member

You mean the retailer is obliged to set the guitar up? Is that the case with other TGPrs? When they buy a new guitar the retailer throws in a setup free of charge?

Like I said, I'm totally new to this. I'll know more about what to ask when I pick up the 335 tomorrow. The work he did on that one is already done. (The setup and bridge work.) So I'll have to pay for that. But if you're saying the retailer should have done the set up, are you saying I should ask the retailer to pay the $35 set up fee?

7. jpage

jpage Member

Of course--the good ones do anyway. Performance Guitar here in Woburn offers free setups for life. I believe Wildwood does too. Occasionally, I'll buy a guitar from Guitar Center when I run across a great deal. In those cases, if the guitar needs a setup, I'll either do it myself or pay someone if it needs fretwork or something. I'm a pretty good negotiator but I just don't trust Captain Nosering with my stuff. Most of the time, however, when I decide on a guitar, I'll leave it with the retailer to put my favorite strings on it, intonate it and set it up to my specs. I'll pick it up a day or so later. A bad nut should never make it to the retail floor and is a sign of a shop that is clueless.

As far as your guitar, if it is going to run you $35, it probably isn't worth the hassle. It does sound like you need a new dealer. Steve @ Wildwood hand picks his stock. You will NEVER find a Gibby with a bad nut in his shop. If I go play a guitar @ Performance, NEVER will I find one out of tune, not intonated, or with unstretched strings.

Find a retailer that cares as much as you and you will find it is worth a little extra scratch, and a little longer drive. You'll also find that those shops seem to always get the "best" instruments. It's not a coincidence.

8. tomkatzz

tomkatzz Member

I appreciate the input, but our area doesn't have much to offer in the way of high dollar equipment. I don't know why. Most stores just have Epiphone, Ibanez, etc.

There are only a couple of stores that stock Gibsons. I guess I could drive to Oklahoma City, about an hour and a half away, but I don't think I'm going to be buying any more guitars for a long time.

Let me ask you a question. What would be the highest fair price one might pay to a top notch luthier for a) a new nut, complete with nitro spray and b) a complete setup for a guitar. Not necessarily what you would pay, since you're obviously competent to do it yourself.

But what's the highest reasonable price someone else might pay?

thanx

9. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Yep, that is BS alright. I had a 59 RI LP that the finish was rubbing off slightly on the back of the neck with light use. Gibson took it back and refinished it perfectly for no charge. MF just offered to replace my entire GUITAR because 2 strings hang up a bit in the nut, (Gib359) or pay for the repair. :BEER

10. SgtThump

SgtThump Supporting Member

Yikes, you sure do flip/flop alot in this thread. At one point, Gibson sucks and you'll never buy another one because it needs setup, the bridge is wobbly, and the nut is wrong. Then you say these things...

"I'm not really experienced enough a guitarist to recognize such problems except after many hours of playing alone. Or maybe my ear just isn't that good."

"...the 335 just needed a setup. The consensus here is that most guitars need a setup. I would have had to have paid for that anyway. The wobbly bridge is the design of the 335 (reissue?) and isn't considered a defect. That was just my choice."

You basically just supported exactly what I was saying with those two statements above. LOL! Thanks for playing, but FAIL. :rotflmao

11. Zero Point

Zero Point Member

If you want quality, buy Japanese!

Heheh, when you were a kid did you EVER imagine that statement being true? *sigh*

People used to shore up and reinforce the 335 bridges just as a matter of course. It's not necessary, but it is something that people used to do. Tt sure does sound like the guy wanting to get as much money out of you as possible. Had he told you that it would be an improvement and that you'd have more sustain (which it is, and you would...) then I could understand. But saying that it NEEDED this as a fix? Kinda shady.

As far as the nut. Well, if it is a blank that he shapes, notches, polishes and sets, it should not cost more than 75. Half of what he's asking.

I once got a bone nut made for a Gretsch I no longer have, that had scroll work and scrimshaw etched into it for 150 :D

-Z

12. cob666

cob666 Member

As other posters have mentioned, 'you get what you pay for'. I've NEVER been satisfied with a free setup I've gotten from a retailer on a new guitar.

I have an '05 Les Paul FF that developed an issue with the binding on the high e side of the neck that caused the string to get stuck between the fret and the binding. The luthier I brought it too was able to get me a new nut, a fret crown and polish and a setup covered under the Gibson warranty.

I guess what Gibson will cover under warranty depends on what the luthier is willing to argue for.

13. clothwiring

clothwiring Member

My thoughts exactly.

14. Luke

Luke Senior Member

This thread has derailed from the original question, how is it two new Gibsons left the factory needing these repairs?

Why do people put up with this from Gibson but they would never accept it from an automobile or television manufacturer?

No one would drive a new Honda off the lot and accept that the car was delivered out of alignment and then go to a third party shop to pay them to fix it.

If the store has a return policy, return them. If not, and less than 60 days has elapsed, return them anyway and file a credit card chargeback.

15. blastastick

blastastick Senior Member

Sounds like Gibson Quality is not so good.

16. SgtThump

SgtThump Supporting Member

Let's not exaggerrate too much. The only "repair" needed is either to shim the nut or replace it. Still not a good thing and definitely something you wouldn't expect to need to do to a new high dollar guitar. But it's nowhere near the "oh my God I'm never buying another Gibson" mentality that was expressed in the start of this thread. Plus, it sounds like the nut replacement will be covered under warranty.

Now I question whether or not a nut "repair" is needed in the first place. Maybe a truss rod adjustment would've fixed it? The original poster wouldn't have known that, because he's new to guitars.

Eh, anyway... It's cool to bash Gibson at all costs, even if it requires people to not consider the facts or look at the "big picture."

17. blastastick

blastastick Senior Member

Ha Ha ha. Nice. I have had good and bad. QC seems pretty in consistent.

18. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Stevie and I had a parting of the ways a while back. I don't go there any more, but Clay always treated me well.

Have you tried Charlie in Safety Harbo?. Older guy that works out of a little house. He's got hundreds of old acoustic instruments all over his walls and hanging from his ceiling. Used to be a luthier at Gibson I believe. He doesn't do much electronic work, but good old world craftsmanship for other issues. Good prices too.

19. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Tulsa Band carries a few boutique pedal and amp lines and Eastman and Reverend guitars and thats about the closest to boutique you'll get. I wouldn't bother driving to OKC either. Theres not much down here either.

20. mprvise

mprvise Member

+1 for Tulsa Band! Great guys and locally owned. I buy whatever I can from them - NEVER GC except for extreme emergency.

Also Guitar House of Tulsa has a great (for Tulsa) acoustic selection. And if you need lessons go see my good friend Paul there - he's the best!