This just in: Emi Cannabis Rex...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Deaj, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

I received a Cannabis Rex today and installed it in my Omega Amps modded Fender HRDx. So far I'm very impressed! I'll avoid trying to describe it at this point as I've only had about 30 minues to spend playing through it but I will say that it is a wholesale improvement over the stock HRDx speaker and compliments the amp wonderfully! This was $89 well spent!

2. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Sweetness. I know that's a popular speaker for that amp. So are you still as into that amp as you were? Is it still getting plenty of play time?

3. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

Definitely! It's just plain fun to play through.

4. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

I'm still considering getting the mod done to mine. :YinYang

5. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey Deaj & Sparky6string,

You finally got the Eminence Cannabis Rex? That's hot (think Paris Hilton)!! :AOK You'll have to break your speaker in for a few hours. I broke mine by gigging on it at my Top 40 gigs for 4 hours a night. It has gotten very smooth in the high end.

Sparky6string,

Get the Eminence Cannabis Rex. You'll appreciate how it smooths out the high end of a Fender amp. If you're in doubt about getting, PM me if you want to try my Omega Amps modded Hot Rod Deluxe. You'll get G.A.S. with that amp.:drool

Guitar George

6. Boogs

Boogs Member

I'm still in love with the Rex sound. I'm running my Carvin X100b's wonderful 6L6 cleans through an all-Rex 2x12, and loving it to death. I played all of my weirdo modded guitars through that rig today in succession. They all sounded BUTTER. :)

7. jspax7

jspax7 Member

Try it with your Fuchs and give us a tone report. Clips?

8. jockman

jockman Member

The C-Rex is a superb speaker, I use one, and although it took a while to break in, the sound is great and only gets better.

9. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Best new speaker I've heard in years.

10. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

I concur!

Glad you're enjoying those drivers, Boogs! Our trade worked out great for me as well!.....love the Wizard/C Rex combo!

11. DavidS

DavidS Supporting Member

I love the Cannabis Rex. Bought it for my Deluxe Reverb and it sounded very good. Tried it with my Fuchs and it sounded fantastic. Now using it with the Fuchs in a Boogie 1x12 open back cab. Took the EVM 12L out of that cab and put it in the Deluxe Reverb. Holy crap, what a great speaker for the DR.

12. stelligan

stelligan Member

I'm absolutely a whore for that speaker! I have one in an Omega Amps modded HR Deluxe - like several posters here. I just love that amp - although I play it way too loud. Just put another C Rex in an old MusicMan RD50 about a month ago along with a preamp overhaul and gave that amp some much needed mojo. If my C Rex jones keeps up I'll have many orphan 12" speakers cluttering my studio......

13. rockon1

rockon1 Member

How does this speaker compare to say a G12H-30 anniversary?

14. Galo

Galo Supporting Member

Here is a sample of a Fuchs with Cannabis Rex:
    "come together"
    :dude
    Adios

15. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

HA! That sounded really fun ... Someone else posted a big-band version of Come Together (maybe Joe from Georgia?) that was great too.. That was dialed in a lot darker than I use , but I use the Cannabis Rexes with lots of amps and they work for everything.. They can sound warm like that, or a lot different as well... nice job and fun band btw

ERIC

16. Galo

Galo Supporting Member

Thanks, that is a fun song...dont know what the words are all about but, its fun....I cant wait till Deaj gives us his final opinion...

Adios

17. ericb

This might sound weird, but why can't you wait till he gives his final opinion? 1 thing I've learned after playing so many years, is NEVER worry about other guys' opinions!!! Only figure out what we like ourselves! LOL I mean no disrespect by this at all but just curious. I raved about this speaker forever , and WAY TOO MUCH other obscure gear, and though I get really excited about stuff, and say good things about it, (or bad things in some cases) I never care if anyone agrees! I'm smiling, but serious
    :dude :RoCkIn

Eric

18. Galo

Galo Supporting Member

No, no disrespect taken my friend...I just love to read about people going through the tone hunting presses...As for my personal tone I'm 98% satisfied. The other 2% has to do with moods...I guess the way I feel that certain day...I can explain that!!! It's like, today I hear a song and want to here it again and again then the next day I don’t want anything to do with that song…I dont think that 2% has nothing to do with gear at all...By the way the rex-s are great speakers but I also have others from EMI. [FONT=&quot]I just have a blast when people find their tone.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    Adios

19. Gretschman

Gretschman Member

I use a 212 C-Rex to mix with other speaker cabinets a lot , especially my Blueverb 210 which has 2 Ram Rods in it . It mixes well with any setup where a smooth tone and a little bottom end is required .
    My friend tried it with a Red, White & Blue on a vintage Fender Twin and it sounds killer . It's a great speaker for sure .

20. ericb

Great post! I agree... There's no piece of gear I have out of dozens of speakers and a few dozen amps, and lots of guitars , that impresses me 100% of the time either! AND YES, I feel it's my brain that's responsible for that, not necessarily that the gear sounds different those days. I also like other speakers a lot too.. Thanks for the posts and hope Deaj either loves the CR for his needs, or finds something he loves better.. That's what it's all about
    Eric