This kid kicks ass on VH.

sinasl1

Silver Supporting Member
I never share this stuff, the "kid plays eruption perfectly" type of vids, but this guy, regardless of age- he just nails this, and with so much attitude. Gotta give him props and credit, he's got the feel, swing, all the licks and he's attacking it with a ferocity that is awesome! He just needs to relax/lay back a wee bit, and he's ALL THE WAY THERE, and then some. Impressive.

Amstarvid

He makes it look effortless...impressive...I wish I could play at that level with that much free spirit and fun, but I'm either concentrating playing the difficult stuff or having fun on the easy stuff...rarely do the two meet...

Neopolitian

Guitar karaoke is just so dorky. It's not your song, it's not your band AND it's a studio recording.

Not impressed with all the notes if the rhythm playing is off. Seems like people treat the rhythm parts like filler between the shreddy bits.

sinasl1

Silver Supporting Member
Guitar karaoke is just so dorky. It's not your song, it's not your band AND it's a studio recording.

Not impressed with all the notes if the rhythm playing is off. Seems like people treat the rhythm parts like filler between the shreddy bits.
Hmm, not sure what you're hearing- I would usually agree, people all too often don't have the rhythm nailed, but I'm a picky mofo and I'm hearing him nailing the rhythm, including the elusive swing, basically. He's a bit on top here and there (which is why I said if he just lays back a wee bit he'll be there) but I haven't seen many guys do this song as well as him (no one maybe?)... if he just chills a bit and actually slows down, his feel is right there!

I agree guitar karaoke can be silly but cut him some slack and time to develop his own thing- he's 16, he can't really go play clubs/tour with his own band yet. Pretty sure he has a band, as I looked at his facebook page and he's got some live pics up. Anyways, i think he's got "it", the magic. Chops, attitude, and lotsa spirit.

badhorsie551

Yeah nobody should ever have a good time learning and practicing your favorite songs with a backing track!!! :p

Neopolitian

You said it yourself. He needs to slow down. Felt rushed. That's exactly what I heard. Lack of swing...just saying.

Also, I don't get why it's more impressive to people when guitarists are relatively young. I'm not trying to be a jerk. Know what's harder than learning guitar at a young age? An older age! I 'learned' guitar starting at 26. I feel like I don't get enough credit for that! haha

6Tones

You never learned and tried to nail any solos/songs off record in your growth as a musician ?
Playing along with the LP needle back in the day or what this kids doing today isnt much different
The "youtube guitar karaoke" I think can constructive .
Heck its very humbling for me ,hearing or seeing myself playback and cringing lol :)
That kid was great!

Last edited:

Matt L

I can't imagine anyone doing a better job of copying that note-for-note in one take, with feel. The kid did great. More impressive than Eruption, IMO, mostly because it's an actual song with rhythm parts, fills up the wazoo, couple of solos, etc. i actually listened w/o watching the clip.

Would like to see him do Hang 'Em High.

2guests

I'm not so sure that's actually him playing live...just sounds toooo close to be real.

Last edited:

TexasHeartRush

Silver Supporting Member
I dig this young dude. Hes working it out. Great playing and energy and passion. I would love to have him as a peer. Hes a good influence for others. Takes commitment to work on your craft. An important teacher in country music for me was Sol Philcox when he was just 17 or 18. Its great to see so much fun being had. Either way he inspires me. Cheers! RG

I-IV-V

Silver Supporting Member
Watched the whole thing. That's one heck of a workout. And very well done without doubt.

Trending Topics