This looks interesting for my KPA

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Black Squirrel, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

2. mindseye

mindseye Member

That looks cool!!!
    Can't wait for more details!!!

3. Adman103

Adman103 Member

Neat! Of course, part of what I like about my axe is not having to drag around big cabs as long as there is solid sound reinforcement... although, it's still cool!

4. Black Squirrel

From reading the blurb it says Jet City is doing a whole line of these. I would be more into a 1x12 myself.

5. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I gave up on 4x12s even before I went digital. They're a PITB.

6. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

That indeed looks very cool. I can't imagine the weight though... it's amplified don't forget. It has to be a BEAST to get that thing around I would suspect.

7. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

350 W class D bi-amp, 2x12, 2x tweeter, crossover and cab....50kg? Just guessing...

8. Ringleader42

Ringleader42 Member

Great find. Aside from the form factor, the thing I like best about this is that it is made by Jet City who seems to make cool stuff at reasonable/affordable prices. Bout time somebody made this!

9. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I can see how that would have a lot of appeal for someone who wanted a traditional cab look, particularly if they were playing in a genre that expected it.

I can't bring my self to haul a passive 4x12 to a gig so a powered one would definitely get left at home.

At this point in my life and playing cycle (played Metal once upon a time but now it's mostly Jazz and Funk), given that I'm not playing theaters or larger venues, a 2x12 is about all I can muster up the will to pick up and throw in the back of a car.

I still love 4x12s though and have several in my home studio.

Maybe if I was still under 40... ;)

:agree

I think there are a number of products that should eventually emerge as modelers increase in use...both traditional looking powered cabs and speaker cabs with rack spaces on top.

10. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I could see an oversized 1x12 version, well built for Jet City prices, sure. 4x12, no way. It is good to see some amp cab guys starting to recognize a dire need for frfr like amplification for modeling users. Until now it's been Atomic and very little others.

11. Black Squirrel

Exactly I have no need for this one But options are always Good.

12. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

The place where I see this fitting in, is for the guys who want the form factor of speakers behind them, and not necessarily pointing up at their faces, like an FRFR wedge would. I'm not sure if this will sound closer to a 4x12 or a PA speaker.

Interesting to say the least.

13. Ringleader42

Ringleader42 Member

The more I think about this, I would think coaxial speakers would maybe work better in this angled cab format? Having the tweeters slanted upwards and the woofers facing forward seems like it might sound kind of strange. We'll see.

I am curious to see what their other ideas are.

14. mattball826

mattball826 Member

cool, but my co guitarist and i just use full range cabs. lopline empty 1x12 with beyma full range or eminence beta12lta speakers. there are many class d power amps to buy too you can fit inside cab if you wanted.

tweeters hiss way too much for my liking. never liked stereo amps with speakers so close together unless they had angled baffle. i would have to hear this though.

15. grorig

grorig Member

Tech 21 Power engine, loaded with Beyma 12 GA 50 full range speaker, is an excellent solution, 1x12 format and lightweight.

16. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

How about a straight cab so you could stack'em? 700watts! :)

17. mattball826

mattball826 Member

so is jet city planning on 1x12 or 2x12 versions? anyone know.

i heard (not confirmed) price range was around 550-650 for 4x12 stereo cab

18. bone_scar

bone_scar Member

Since I have now acquired an 11R I was super intrigued by this cabinet (700DP) and messaged the company on whether this would ever see light of day. Here is the response I received.

I am extremely impressed that I received a response, and one that looks promising.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2012
  19. Ace1

Ace1 Member

I too would be very interested in one of these.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a vertical slant 2x12 type configuration

20. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

I'm scratching my head on this one.

A) its in the shape of the traditional marshall slant 4x12 which was NEVER designed for sound. it just "looked cool"

B) two tweeters? and Two woofers horizontally? how does that work? Phase cancellation issues?

C) tweeters are angled up and woofers are straight....soooo, you get the freakishly piercing highs straight at your head, and whatever mids are below the crossover shooting at your knees.

I simply can't see this thing sounding very good. hopefully someone has the cash to risk the purchase to give it a shot. But in the end, I'd say that if you're willing to drag that thing around, just go buy yourself a pair of JBL SRX722s and put them next to each other. That way you've got some serious Full Range speaker engineering involved with the added benifit of a stereo rig.