This may be a crazy idea, but will it work?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by webe123, May 25, 2008.

1. webe123

webe123 Member

OK, for years I have used various acoustic/electric guitars with mixed results in live church situations.

What I would LIKE to do is have some way of micing my acoustic guitar in a live situation WITHOUT having to rely on the sound guy or have to listen to my acoustic guitar through the monitors.

In other words, I would like to find a way to run a mic through my guitar amp so that I can control the volume of the acoustic guitar without relying on a inexperienced sound guy who may or may not (usually this is the case) turn me up in the monitors on stage so that I can hear my guitar well enough to play.

Why? Because I am not a professional musician and do not have professional sound men micing my guitar out. Therefore, my results have been mixed. Usually when I play or sing with the acoustic guitar miced with the soundmen in control, it simply sometimes is not loud enough or the sound guy is not paying attention, as he is sometimes looking at something else.

I also do not just play my acoustic guitar just for specials or an occasional song only, but sometimes I play it along with what the piano is playing as part of the regular service.

Up until now, I have always loved the mic'ed sound of an acoustic guitar, but never found a way to mic it live for just regular playing as a part of my rig, unless I just use an acoustic/electric guitar through my amp....but it simply does not have the same sound.

What I have come up with is this:
    1. use a Neumann KM 184 acoustic guitar mic and go XLR into a small preamp like the ART Tube MP.

2. Then go out of the ART tube MP 1/4 inch out (it has both 1/4 inch and XLR inputs and outputs)of the ART Tube MP and into my guitar amp.

The ART tube mp also has both input and output volume settings so I can just cut off the input volume on the ART when I am not using the mic! Also, I am going out of my amp and direct into the PA, so I should be able to have both the acoustic miced sound comming out of my amp and also going out to the PA at the same time....just like an acoustic/electric, but hopefully with a much better sound.

Is that a workable plan for micing an acoustic guitar live without a sound guy? Any other suggestions?

2. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

uh,no...
    using a mic without someone to mix it correctly is,at best,a problem.You may wish to look at a pickup,feedback buster,and small accoustic amp.Mics only work when some one is controlling it,either mix or recording,otherwise a bust.

3. webe123

webe123 Member

Yeah, I guess you are right......but boy when you have an acoustic guitar going through a PA miced, it sounds ten times better than any pickup I have tried.

I was kinda hoping I could get that sound without having to go through the PA...I guess not.

I am going to try the LR Baggs M1A and see if it is as good as they say it is.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...307118&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=60203875

If some people are willing to record with it, it may sound OK for live situations. Not a perfect solution to micing live, but then again, what is?

This is probably my best bet without having to make modifactions to my guitar at all. Which I certinaly DON'T want to do under any circumstances.

4. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I use a K&K in my Collings through a Genz Benz Shen Pro - does it sound like a mic'd acoustic? no, but it sounds really good and I have 200 watts of headroom I can control and sing through with lines out to the PA if the situation merits. Pretty fine performing setup and probably all you would need in a church setting.

The M1 active is my second pickup. It is a great sounding pickup but not as natural as the K&K. Works great alone in loud/band settings where the K&K will feedback. Good reason these are turning up on so many big stages these days.

The combo of the K&K and the M1 is as good as anything I've heard, and without the sound guy messing with my tone it's the best stage solution I've found. Better a well EQ'd pickup than a messed up mic.

BTW/FWIW - I used to use the Tube MP as a pre for my Sunrise and it sounded great. Bet it would sound outstanding with the M1.

5. Ricman

Ricman Member

location, location - it's the most important thing
    Do you have a music practice during the week to prepare for service? And do your soundmen attend? A little education and practice for them might solve the problem. Of course if they are ADHD, that's another story...