This may be heresy but........

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gearopenia, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Gearopenia

Gearopenia Member

Anyone think that all this gear buying is a result of not being happy with our own playing. Granted great gear sounds awesome. But I've seen guys that can play the crap out of trash gear.

2. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

Probably 80% of the time but buying all this gear can also be a result of actually being happy with our own playing. :)

3. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

I buy things in the hope that "the new thing" will make me want to play more, thus, improving my playing. We as players in 2012 have to face the fact that the gear available to us these days is an embarrassment of riches; every time you turn around something comes along that just begs to be experienced. Of course, that's not practical, but it's easy to live in a state of constant temptation. I hasten to add that I only give in to maybe 8% of my temptations, but it's fun to dream.

4. teleclem

teleclem Member

I see them independently. They are tools.

I really don't see how gear can compensate for bad playing. A bad player will sound like a bad player. An extremely sensitive amp could probably even bring out all those little imperfctions in playing. But I do see how gear can be a distraction (& lead to less playing time).

5. Gearopenia

Gearopenia Member

No one said anything about bad playing. But not being content with ones own playing.
    You can't tell me that you've never turned on a YouTube video of some killer high dollar amp. And some dork plays an out of tune Les Paul E chord and dazzles us. That dude paid for an amp that his playing can't support.
    I'm just wondering if some of us fall into the trap of more gear will make me sound that much better. Maybe we aren't happy with how we play.

6. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

Bad playing sounds bad even if it's being produced by really good gear. Silk purse out of a sow's ear, and all that.

7. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

Yes. When not satisfied with what's coming out of the speaker, there's more than one way to get a happy fix, one being a different sounding amp, pedal or guitar. Another is becoming a better player. One doesn't necessarily negate the other nor apply to every case, but a lot spend time hunting that magic piece of gear rather than practicing more. I'm not immune, nor is my son, and we both freely admit it.

8. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I know for me it's wanting to hear other sounds. So what I do is buy something I don't have, then the next thing you know I find that the new amp (for example) doesn't sound so great with the overdrives I have so now I need others. The next thing you know I have all this stuff that I don't use much so I soon have a gear sell off.

I just bought a great old Fender Vibrolux because my other amps aren't Fender sounding, now I'm wondering when I'll use it. :bonk Even though the amp is great I might sell it, I think I need help, I know my wife has given up. She say's, "Yes I know this is the best amp ever, but really you mean for now". :facepalm This is after I say, "I'll never sell this one."

9. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

I play bad and cant do too much about it due to left fore arm crush injury. Lucky I even have a left arm for that matter. 2 tons crushed it severing all the muscle.

but anyway, I buy gear because I am trying to sound like a recorded sound, but more and more I realize that recording is an art that requires practice itself. Also, now that I have the funds I can afford to by gear that I couldnt before so I like to try out new amps.

I am pretty much done buying amps though unless Suhr makes a PT100 that is less bass heavy and more inline with a JCM800.

10. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

I dunno, I stopped buying effects pedals 3 years ago and after picking up two Chinese made Vox's 2 years ago, my searching is over (I've played the same Tele for the last 20 years).
    I just poke around here to look at tweaks (eg different tubes etc) and look at pictures of other amps.
    I'd hate to be constantly buying, selling, re-buying, re-selling like many others do. but hey, it's a hobby, there are far worse things you could do with your life

11. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Gear buying fills the hole of no longer having a band and no longer songwriting for that band. With 4 little kids to take care of, it is easier to sit quietly at the computer and shop for gear than it is to try and work out a song for nobody else to play.

12. timmytVA

timmytVA Silver Supporting Member

My kids ask why I have seven guitars and five amps and only play in the house. My answer : "it makes me happy."

Other than golf, it's really the only thing I spend money on.

Life is short. Do things that put a smile on your face.

Tim

13. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

You just described us all, Harry...lol. What our poor women have to endure...;)

14. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

Wow we have the same number of guitars and amps. Must be a magic music number ratio; added together they equal 12 which is the number of notes including the octave

15. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Actually, I think it is implicit in the question that we are talking about bad playing (relatively)...at least seems to be.

Like others here, I'm pretty happy with my playing, I play a LOT, but yeah, sometimes you get in a rut, and new gear can be the spark that gets one going again, or in a new direction.

I started out on an ES-335, later on bought a strat. I play them a bit differently, though I could play the exact same thing on each...but then I bought (or tried, then bought) a Tele, because of the sound I was getting, I started playing things I never tried, because...well...there was that sound I always heard on some things, and just inspires one to play THAT.

Play a clean amp, I play a certain way, get OD and depending, I play what it offers me.

I wouldn't say I could sound great on anything, but I have played crappy equipment and been satisfied with what I was playing, BUT...just exactly like you wouldn't usually play huge sustain solos on an acoustic guitar, or try inherently acoustic guitar stuff on a electric guitar set to full on hyper-fuzz-dist, so it is with some crappy gear. One can find something that works with the crappy gear, but you simply, usually, don't have a lot of OPTIONS which you do with a good amp, good gear.

I think your question probably ought to differentiate between folks that have played for over 10 years, and folks just starting out.
    I have run into guys that couldn't hardly make the correct chords, but that had multi-effects units (and USED them) dripping with high-octane drive, multi-tap delays, chorus, reverb, etc. and they couldn't even play a song all the way through. That is ridiculous...

I've been playing (more or less regulularly) since around 1972. I should be tons better than I am with all the time I put in, but to answer your main question, not really. Generally I buy equipment for inspiration, for fun, just to try, but the flipside, generally I don't get that excited about new things anymore. Latest was Egnater Tweaker amp, that was a good choice.

16. fjwiv

fjwiv Supporting Member

I look at my collecting and my playing as two different things.

17. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

I hear what the OP is saying. He's not talking about "bad players with good gear"
    for instance, In college I used to play 5 or 6 hours a day, and I was at the top of my game. Now, i'll maybe play 5 or 6 hours a week. I still consider myself a very competent player, but not what I used to be. But I definitely have nights that i'll be jammin and it's sounding a little sloppy (cuz of playing) but instead I focus on the high mid frequency i can't dial out of my amp, or the woof I get when I palm mute a certain note. instead of worrying about playing more to improve my playing, i think, maybe I'll sound better with an amp a little smoother... something a little tighter.. etc etc.

18. SeanMc

SeanMc Member

Can't speak for anyone else... For me, it's simply a matter of fun and enjoyment.
    - I'm happily married and don't have, or want, the expenses of a mistress
    - My home is nearly paid off, we own all of our cars, and we carry no credit card debt.
    - My kids' college funds are adequately covered and they are well on their way towards being independent.
    - I don't own a bunch of cars, boats, motorcycles, cabins, et. al.
    - Our "rainy day" or emergency funds are adequately healthy.
    - My retirement funds are sufficiently healthy.

Music is my hobby, my recreation, my passion outside of my family and work...

So... With a solid career and all other responsibilities accounted for after living a rather financially conservative life, I've chosen to have a little fun with the extra money that I now have. Sure, I'm not a virtuoso player, but I'm happy with where I'm at and have no delusions about my abilities. Even so, I get compliments and praise from the audience and other musicians.

I'll admit that it is a tad self-indulgent, maybe even a tad pretentious, on my part but it's just a fun hobby. No need for any psychological assessment, over-analysis, deep reflections, or understanding any underlying reasons behind the why.

19. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

Very nicely said.

Unfortunately for all who have any Gas-itis, or Gas-ism (depending on sentence structure), there is no law outlining the "Buying Procedures for Musical Equipment." I checked the UCC and it's not there either.

In all states, and under "normal" non-exigent circumstances, it is against the law to run a stop light. No such prohibitions for buying gear. Sometimes I wish there was a law requiring a warrant to "enter a music store for the purposes of buying musical equipment to encourage addictive behavior."

But that might lead to a black market . . then prohibition . . . oh well . . .

20. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Nothing wrong with exploring the gear potential while working on playing skills. Part of it is being a student of the craft, part of it is having fun, a lot of it is holding onto a dream.